Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Funnily, Ferrari spend €410 a year on F1, but haven’t won a title since 2008. The relentless pressure from Mercedes (who spend the same) on race weekends, has led to a year or two of countless Ferrari faux pas.

$410 is about the same as my car insurance.....I didn't realise the were so affordable.
I stand corrected

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suggest 99% of us would stick it into an armco on the first lap if we pushed

Great filming today on the street circuit, of the precision (at huge speeds) of Hamilton.

These 20 elite drivers, at the top of a global tree of countless drivers with rich parents, are incredibly skilled. All decision making in the blink of an eye.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I suggest 99% of us would stick it into an armco on the first lap if we pushed

indeed,I walked the circuit after a GP there once

incredible how they keep that level of concentration for so long

and that overtake from Leclerc today :bowdown:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Why is Hamilton not worshipped as he should BE? If he was Argentinian, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian or any other country bar Britain he would be treated as a God. I don't get it I really don't......he is an exceptional driver.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Great result for Hamilton, but anyone hoping for a championship battle this season better start supporting Bottas, as its looking unlikely anyone else is going to step up.

A couple of side stories I found interesting-

Hamilton came across a bit batty in his incessant race radio chatter. Chandhok on Sky nailed it asking why the team didn't just point out the obvious, and tell LH that they could pit, which would lose him the race, or he can stay out and suck it up, and have a chance of winning. Chandhok actually asked Wolff that question post race and Wolff admitted it was never a sensible discussion, he said the teams role is just to placate and support the driver through their moaning, like they need babying through it. That surprised me as I thought they used to radio for important communications, not just to whine to mummy and be patted on the head and told it will all be ok. Changed my view of what is going on on the radios...

Leclerc- Brundle seemed to make a good point- that has Leclerc driven back to the pits slowly, the tyre wouldn't have disintegrated, the car wouldn't have been damaged to the same extent and he could have carried on with the race. Leclerc's whole approach following Ferrari's balls up in Q1 did seem to be a bit of a dirty protest. He came straight out after Qualy and said that he was going to take risks and if he crashed so be it, and he seemed pretty determined to take silly risks and cause some damage, then speeding back to the pits with a puncture really seemed like self-destruct. I respect his right to be angry and the team have really let him down this season with poor decisions, I'm just not sure sabotaging your own Monaco race is actually going to benefit you, unless you just want to make it clear to the team that you aren't going to take crap team support lying down. At the end of the day he was at Monaco, in a Ferrari, and whether he has a chance of winning or not I still think it's in his interests to do the best job he can.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why is Hamilton not worshipped as he should BE? If he was Argentinian, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian or any other country bar Britain he would be treated as a God. I don't get it I really don't......he is an exceptional driver.

This. We have someone who is one of the all time best drivers but people look for every opportunity to denigrate him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That crossed my mind too.

Must’ve boiled down to racing pride and their instinctive competitiveness. Similarly Verstappen knew about the 5 second penalty, but was ‘driven’ to pass the chequered flag first.

Max could have had a 30 second penalty and Lewis still wouldn’t have let him past. Winners give nothing at all

Interesting to hear Eddie Jordan saying that Bottas was not as determined in confrontational situations as Lewis, which was why he couldn’t see him winning the Championship this year. I don’t see Hamilton letting Max get away with pushing him into the barrier in the pit lane, without fighting it.

Last edited:

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Hamilton came across a bit batty in his incessant race radio chatter. Chandhok on Sky nailed it asking why the team didn't just point out the obvious, and tell LH that they could pit, which would lose him the race, or he can stay out and suck it up, and have a chance of winning. Chandhok actually asked Wolff that question post race and Wolff admitted it was never a sensible discussion, he said the teams role is just to placate and support the driver through their moaning, like they need babying through it. That surprised me as I thought they used to radio for important communications, not just to whine to mummy and be patted on the head and told it will all be ok. Changed my view of what is going on on the radios...

Most come across as moaners and such on the radio. I would say all sports would be the same if you could listen to them while they are playing.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Great filming today on the street circuit, of the precision (at huge speeds) of Hamilton.

These 20 elite drivers, at the top of a global tree of countless drivers with rich parents, are incredibly skilled. All decision making in the blink of an eye.

A reasonable amount of it is quicker then that. Particularly corrections. I've never done single seaters, only saloons and GT cars, and historic stuff at that, but when racing hard, concentration levels are extremely high, also old cars require a lot more physicality. No power assistance in anything, even throttle pedals can be heavy. Most of the classic circuits require respect as well as commitment Andy confidence, Monaco and Goodwood probably the least Forgiving!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Great point. For me the guy is a genius

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

I'd love it if he could beat Schumacher's 91 victories
he needs another 15

he could even reach 100 pole positions :mad:
funny enough he needs another 15 of those too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here