Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well done Lando,great quali.Should be a good race tomorrow.Mercedes one-lap pace is good,but looks like it might be a bit hard on the tyres,so any one of 3 manufacturers for the win.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Finished the Netflix F1 thing they just did in time to watch qualification, even missus RW was up to watch it. Might have finally made her a fan. Let’s hope tomorrow is a good race.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I'll wait until the first few races to see if Mercedes really are that much faster. Lot will depend on tyre wear. Last year Ferrari were faster in testing and Mercedes turned up and out qualified them by a margin in Australia. The Ferrari was a much faster car for most of the last season. Also Hamilton was on pole last year and did not win.
Lando Norris had an outstanding debut. Verstappen also seems to have some pace.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A 1-2 for the Mercs, but not the way round most would have expected. Verstappen 3rd, Ferrari 4th and 5th.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Riccardo was one Australian I didn't mind until he followed money to mediocrity....so glad he retired while his old team mate got a podium.

Quality midfield battle, hopefully Norris can pick up some points this year.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Typical Australian Grand Prix with limited overtaking, at least the bonus point for fasted lap added a bit of interest to the end of the race. Disappointing if not surprising to see Ferrari employ team order in the 1st race of the season to stop Leclerc passing Vettel.

Quite enjoying the behind the scenes Netflix programme on last season. Bits of it seem to be aimed squarely at an audience new to F1, but its also good for full F1 fans to see some of what goes on behind doors that you don't normally get to see.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Typical Australian Grand Prix with limited overtaking, at least the bonus point for fasted lap added a bit of interest to the end of the race. Disappointing if not surprising to see Ferrari employ team order in the 1st race of the season to stop Leclerc passing Vettel.

I was disappointed that they didn't give Leclerc the chance to get the fastest lap point, with the gap back to 6th as big as it was I didn't see it as a massive risk. Maybe they didn't want to show everyone just how much faster he was than Vettel.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yawn.

Watched first 3 laps, cooked and ate breakfast read paper, watched last 3 laps. It's not difficult to see why historic motorsport has so much popularity.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Did Ricciardo follow the money? Or did he just think Verstappen was close to gaining 'no. 1 Driver' status and had had enough of being messed around?

I remember how Webber got screwed when him and Vettel were there and that must have been in Ricciardo's mind to some extent.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Did Ricciardo follow the money? Or did he just think Verstappen was close to gaining 'no. 1 Driver' status and had had enough of being messed around?

I remember how Webber got screwed when him and Vettel were there and that must have been in Ricciardo's mind to some extent.

Absolutely this. Max is Red Bulls golden child much like Vettel was when Webber was in the team. Its no secret that Daniel was unhappy with the way Red Bull apportioned the blame for the Baku crash last year. So yes he could have stayed and fought it out, but if Max was going to get preferential treatment what's the point. He's best off out of there. Renault won't be able to deliver results this year but if he's put faith in the longer term project (much like Lewis did at Merc) then who's to say it work for him.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Absolutely this. Max is Red Bulls golden child much like Vettel was when Webber was in the team. Its no secret that Daniel was unhappy with the way Red Bull apportioned the blame for the Baku crash last year. So yes he could have stayed and fought it out, but if Max was going to get preferential treatment what's the point. He's best off out of there. Renault won't be able to deliver results this year but if he's put faith in the longer term project (much like Lewis did at Merc) then who's to say it work for him.
I hope he enjoys his preferential treatment in the midfield...

If that's where Renault will be with everyone improving apart from the Williams.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Riccardo was one Australian I didn't mind until he followed money to mediocrity....so glad he retired while his old team mate got a podium.

Quality midfield battle, hopefully Norris can pick up some points this year.

Ricciardo didn't go to Renault for the money.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I stopped watching F1 rhe day Coultard stopped just before the finishing line to let Schumacher go by and take the chequered flag. I can't think of any other sport in which this would be acceptable. Oh yes, I've just thought of another, professional cycling, and they're not suspect are they?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I stopped watching F1 rhe day Coultard stopped just before the finishing line to let Schumacher go by and take the chequered flag. I can't think of any other sport in which this would be acceptable. Oh yes, I've just thought of another, professional cycling, and they're not suspect are they?

a) It's "Coulthard", and b) it was actually Barrichello you're thinking of. DC and MS never raced for the same team. But having said that, DC did hand a few victories to Hakkinen (which happened years before the famous RB/MS incident you cite here).

It's a team sport. Always has been, always will be. So is cycling (but the comparison stops there ... cycling being bent as a corrupt judge doesn't prove anything about F1). In fact, the entire world of motorsports you see this sort of team play to ensure the best possible result. DTM is rife with it, and in DTM you've got multi-car teams so you're sometimes looking at 2 or 3 drivers giving way to ensure the best result for the team's #1 driver. Indycar it happens as well. It's far from unique to F1. It's a part of the sport and entirely acceptable IMO.

Hell, back in the depths of F1 history it used to be allowed under the rules for a driver who's car has failed (or crashed) to call their team mate into the pits and *take over their car* and then continue the race. It was also allowed for a while in Australian touring cars - Peter Brock won Bathurst in 1987 (admittedly after the 1st and 2nd place cars were DQed) by swapping cars after the car he started the race in was retired.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here