Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. He’s often wrong when he apportions blame following an incident. He’s also slow to spot things, like today when Lewis cut the gap to Max from 6 seconds to 0.5 in a couple of laps following his pit stop. It was clear it was happening, yet when the camera cut to them Brundle was screaming “HE’S ON HIS TAIL!” Keep up, Martin. I swear he makes numerous mistakes in every single race.

Also, he clearly hates Lewis. He’s got no enthusiasm for the greatest British driver of all time. I wonder why? Could it be because he doesn’t do pre-race interviews and doesn’t suck up to the clueless pundits? Yet he absolutely adores all manner of comparative losers - Button, Ricciardo etc - because they’re happy to give him a smile and a joke.

Totally agree with you on all points. The media love for sweet guy Button, often leads to a lack of respect for always honest and fiercely competitive Lewis.

I missed today’s race, so I’m watching the full race Sky F1 just now on repeat. The commentary duo were, exactly as you describe, waffling on about relative trivia, so entirely missed Lewis’s classy catching up on Verstappen. They are going on about Verstappen being superior in most sectors, entirely missing the point that clever Mercedes/Hamilton were pressurising Verstappen into destroying his hard tyres.

Toto Wolff is not just better than the rest, he’s on a higher plain to the SkyF1 numpties.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Dont know if it’s just me but this whole ‘changing of the guard’ shit people keep spouting is really grinding my gears, Verstappen is an unbelievable talent absolutely and will definitely win championships providing he continues maturing, but Lewis is driving like a man in his prime, how can there be a ‘changing of the guard’ when Lewis is still operating at the peak of his powers? Utter nonsense

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Max and Lewis were over a minute clear of the Ferrari's and lapped their team mates. They are the class of the field. Stick one of them in a Ferrari and it would start to win races.

As for Brundle, I'm old to remember James Hunt asking Murray Walker 'Whose on pole?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dont know if it’s just me but this whole ‘changing of the guard’ shit people keep spouting is really grinding my gears, Verstappen is an unbelievable talent absolutely and will definitely win championships providing he continues maturing, but Lewis is driving like a man in his prime, how can there be a ‘changing of the guard’ when Lewis is still operating at the peak of his powers? Utter nonsense

What I do like is that Lewis and Verstappen seem to get on OK. (None of mind games and faux hard-man bullshit from Vettel, or weasel Rosberg).

The stirring media would absolutely love it if there was aggro between the two.

Plus it possibly screws Ferrari for a few seasons more.

Happy days.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Brundle isn't bad, but I've always thought he was a corporate slag, as an average F1 driver, he knows which side his breads buttered and will not upset the apple cart, he was down the back of Mr Burn(ies) trousers every weekend until he got ousted.

Hamilton ( and fast catching MV) are the class of the field. There are some extremely good drivers out there throughout though. The flair gets managed out of them in time usually (vettel, leclerc next?) at big teams though.

Button may be a nice boy softie, but don't forget he tore Lewis a new one when he went to McLaren. You don't have to be a ruthless **** to succeed . . . But it definitely helps.

James Hunt was the best tv pundit f1 will ever have.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brundle isn't bad, but I've always thought he was a corporate slag, as an average F1 driver, he knows which side his breads buttered and will not upset the apple cart, he was down the back of Mr Burn(ies) trousers every weekend until he got ousted.

Hamilton ( and fast catching MV) are the class of the field. There are some extremely good drivers out there throughout though. The flair gets managed out of them in time usually (vettel, leclerc next?) at big teams though.

Button may be a nice boy softie, but don't forget he tore Lewis a new one when he went to McLaren. You don't have to be a ruthless **** to succeed . . . But it definitely helps.

James Hunt was the best tv pundit f1 will ever have.

Looking back, Hamilton was so right to leave McLaren when he did, despite their long ties and McLaren’s immense support to him as a kid. Sadly they were in unchecked decline.

Hamilton’s fifth columnists in this country who slagged him off, were wrong.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What I do like is that Lewis and Verstappen seem to get on OK. (None of mind games and faux hard-man bullshit from Vettel, or weasel Rosberg).

The stirring media would absolutely love it if there was aggro between the two.

Plus it possibly screws Ferrari for a few seasons more.

Happy days.

Agreed. Like Hunt Lauda. . .and others going back further , fight on the black bit, but life goes on, often together, away from all that.

Funny that the TV twats always used to go on about how Rosberg and Hamilton grew up and raced karts together. . .their upbringings couldn't have been much different in modern f1. Little wonder there was no love lost.

Ferrari won't 'win' until they get some Non Italian senior management/engineers. Passion and flair don't win. But I know from personal experience, you can look ****ing cool finishing 10th or blowing up on the last or even 3rd lap ;-)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Like Hunt Lauda. . .and others going back further , fight on the black bit, but life goes on, often together, away from all that.

Funny that the TV twats always used to go on about how Rosberg and Hamilton grew up and raced karts together. . .their upbringings couldn't have been much different in modern f1. Little wonder there was no love lost.

Ferrari won't 'win' until they get some Non Italian senior management/engineers. Passion and flair don't win. But I know from personal experience, you can look ****ing cool finishing 10th or blowing up on the last or even 3rd lap ;-)

I hope so. British engineering and German perfection, together unbeatable.

When Ferrari last won, they went on a ManCity-esque shopping expedition poaching the best leaders, designers and engineers (Todt, Brawn, Stepney and Byrne) from across England and France, as well as the best driver Schumacher.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Re Hunt, if you haven't read this, read it. Some wonderful anecdotes, my favourite being the time he was banging a Marshalls wife in the back of an ambulance on the track and the poor bloke trying to find her as the ambulance rocked from side to side with everyone pretending they hadn't seen her or Hunt. Superstars aren't made like that anymore.

James Hunt: The Biography https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0753518236/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_z1ZrDbP9GXJP7

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Let’s not rewrite history. Lewis beat Button in two of their three seasons together, winning 10 races in that time to Button’s 8.

The 2011 season, when Lewis was suffering with a number of non-F1 problems and made several mistakes as a result, helped Button to make things look more balanced.

The qualifying battle between the two was the most revealing statistic in their time together in my opinion: 45-14 to Lewis.

In addition to this, Hamilton had some horrendous luck, I remember particularly during the 2012 season Hamilton finished ahead of Button yet Hamilton DNF’d 3 times from the lead of the race. I rate Button to be honest, he was a different type of driver had an extraordinary ability with tyres that I don’t think is matched by anyone in the modern area but it does annoy me when people say he bested Hamilton as a team mate because when you look deeper rather than just points, they were at least equal and during a time Hamilton had some off track issues as well.

Not pissing on Jenson as I liked him as a bloke and a driver, there’s a post on reddit I think about Hamilton vs Button at McLaren if anyone is interested i’ll attach a link

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/377rhp/a_closer_analysis_of_hamilton_vs_button_at/

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fair, and I agree, Hamilton is 'better' but on his day Button, like many others can match or better him, he ain't perfect.

I like Buttons driving style, smooth. A la Prost. reminded me of many amateurs, like my self, who pay for it!

Let’s not rewrite history. Lewis beat Button in two of their three seasons together, winning 10 races in that time to Button’s 8.

The 2011 season, when Lewis was suffering with a number of non-F1 problems and made several mistakes as a result, helped Button to make things look more balanced.

The qualifying battle between the two was the most revealing statistic in their time together in my opinion: 45-14 to Lewis.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair, and I agree, Hamilton is 'better' but on his day Button, like many others can match or better him, he ain't perfect.

I like Buttons driving style, smooth. A la Prost. reminded me of many amateurs, like my self, who pay for it!

I always found Le Professeur irritatingly boring and calculated. Wanting Mansell and Senna to beat him.

Button came across as a nicer human being, with more charisma.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I always found Le Professeur irritatingly boring and calculated. Wanting Mansell and Senna to beat him.

Button came across as a nicer human being, with more charisma.

Of course, Prost is tooooo French, even for most French people!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It grinds your gears that others have a different opinion, so their opinion must be shit and utter nonsense?

Verstappen was chased down from very close range by Hamilton for 50 of the 70 laps and did not flinch or make a single mistake, and Hamilton was unable to pass him. Hamilton had the faster car and it was only some inspired driving and brilliant strategy that gave him the win.

I do not remember any driver making life that hard for Hamilton over the last few years, in an inferior car.

I make no apology for suggesting a change of the guard is coming and I say that as a massive Lewis fan.

Don’t let it wind you up though :rolleyes:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Verstappen was chased down from very close range by Hamilton for 50 of the 70 laps and did not flinch or make a single mistake, and Hamilton was unable to pass him. Hamilton had the faster car and it was only some inspired driving and brilliant strategy that gave him the win.

Agreed, Hamilton could not pass him. This is a circuit that is difficult to pass on, probably only 2 overtaking points. Catching and passing are 2 different matters especially at this track. Verstappen did have some luck (or maybe clever driving ?) though in that during the phase where Hamilton was actually trying to pass on each occasion for several laps Verstappen managed to get DRS as well as he was behind a back marker. Without that I suspect Hamilton would have passed him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here