Page 27 of 74 FirstFirst ... 172425262728293037 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Davemania View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing I've always been curious about in the 21 years since I've been to Glastonbury is whether the only way in is with a ticket. What is security like these days? The first year in 94 we bought a ticket because we thought we had to. The next year we jumped the fence about a few hundred metres from where several hundred people were in the process of ripping it down. The last two years we paid corrupt stewards £15 each to give us a stamp as if we'd already been in and then returned to the car. It's always been the assumption that it's not possible now but they used to dig tunnels under the fence fcs. Tickets sell out so quickly that there must still be schemes going on to get into the festival
    These days they have an 8 mile long, 20 feet high solid metal fence, with watch towers every few metres (literally!) and an inner fence, all patrolled by hundreds of security personnel on foot, in vehicles between the two fences an on the towers.

The police and council forced all that on the Eavis's, saying the effectively unlimited numbers of punters threatened their safety.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      These days they have an 8 mile long, 20 feet high solid metal fence, with watch towers every few metres (literally!) and an inner fence, all patrolled by hundreds of security personnel on foot, in vehicles between the two fences an on the towers.

The police and council forced all that on the Eavis's, saying the effectively unlimited numbers of punters threatened their safety.
      It must costs a fortune to run the festival these days. However, if you want a a different way of getting a ticket you would probably be better off trying to get a press pass or get work on a stall or a charity - or hospitality. Do they still give free tickets to litter pickers? I remember buying my tickets in the 1990s from the Peace Shop in Brighton a few months before the festival.

I'm also surprised they don't put the price of tickets up more these days. If they give (some of the) profit to charities, then charging more would be beneficial to society (hopefully) and would stop the tickets selling out in 30 minutes each time. I guess they feel they need to draw a fine line between charity-giving and appearing to be too elitist. Maybe they have a lot of more expensive inclusive tickets for sale with tents - expanding that would keep the main ticket price increases down.

Even so, it does seem now that tickets are most likely to go the most tech-savvy people, which I guess is as good a method as any other.

0 Not allowed!
      Watching Stormzy's set now. What a performance.

0 Not allowed!
      The heat is ****ing unbearable!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
      [email protected] is one of the biggest idiots on this board.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrong-Direction View Post

You want to try Sardinia last week. Makes this heat look like the flipping Arctic.
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrong-Direction View Post

You're all tent and no tent peg
      https://youtu.be/oCyXsHC-lQ4

@Brighton Lines "The MASSIVE shield: Amex Ruislip who thinks Sheffield Wednesday are 13th in the Premier League"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post

And having been before and after the fence I must say I much prefer the post fence Glastonbury.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TWOCHOICEStom View Post
      Watching Stormzy's set now. What a performance.

I have not watched it yet but the reaction has been incredible. It’s certainly going to go down in history as an iconic Glastonbury moment and possibly a wider British cultural milestone. Fair play to him and also the Eavis’ for the foresight and belief.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      A tad aggressive.

1 Not allowed!
      When I started listening to U.K. Hip-Hop 10ish years ago breaking 100k views on a YouTube video was a massive deal.

Now you have Stormzy headlining Glastonbury and not looking out of place. Monumental.

Edit: As f*cking if they showed Ghetts losing his mind against Bashy at Risky Roads on BBC2. This may be the pinnacle of human achievement.
      Last edited by Whitechapel; 29-06-2019 at 12:40.
      If you're past 25 and you're still doing gang
      You’re known as a artefact

Kwengface - Fire In The Booth

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
      Google: Arcadia, Block9, Shangri-la, The Glade, The Common etc etc. Crazy shit which goes on all night.
      To save you Googling, this is what Arcadia looked like last night. 40,000 people raving all night in the back fields of Glastonbury. No live BBC coverage of this, obv.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcadia.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	112177

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcadia2.png 
Views:	337 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	112178

Anyone who thinks that Glastonbury is "like other music festivals, just a bit bigger", simply HAS NOT BEEN. Not in the 21st century, anyway.

And then there's Block9/IICON...
      I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.