Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury - June 2019

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Best bits for me;

Tame Impala - should've had The Killers slot, stunning visuals and great songs.
Billie Eilish - still haven't fully made my mind up on her, but really intriguing. Very fully formed sound/musical personality for someone who was born in 2001. That's terrifying.
Maggie Rogers - always good, her enthusiasm is highly infectious.
Interpol - probably not their strongest set (won't ever be again unless Carlos comes back) but still lightyears ahead of most in their genre.
Foals - always good.

Haven't properly watched Stormzy's set yet, will do. The Killers were poor and very phoned in.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Reading through the comments on The Cures set I’m somewhat confused as to what some people actually expected them to come out and do? They could have played some other people’s music I suppose, but that’s not really the point is it. The Cure are deep, dark, brooding mood music with the occasional upbeat synth-popesque tune thrown into the mix. It’s a formula that made them one of the worlds biggest bands for approaching 40 years. They are hardly going to change.

Smith performed an almost perfect set vocally, as ever his voice carries the bigger numbers better than it does the quieter ones. He’s at his best when letting the angst ridden lyrics let fly. It was 2 hours of paired back musical and vocal brilliance. No gimmicks. If it’s not your taste then that’s fair enough. I'm listening to it again now, and Smiths vocal is a tour-de-force. The Cure did what The Cure do, and did it faultlessly.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Umm... their normal 2.5/3-hour sets aren't like that Glastonbury set.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
As was said on stage, it was a set for Glastonbury, the last half hour was a showcase of their poppy stuff. I'm glad they did not do Lovecats though, but i don't think he can go through with it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I don't get why they did that at the end. Many people not really into the Cure would have left the field/switched over by then.

I expected them to come out and do the pop stuff first and then educate the crowd on what The Cure is really about...

Ho hum.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Gonna say - a few in here praising The Cure's musicianship - not watching the same gig as me. Some great, great songs but a fair bit of the playing was very ropey/clumsy/clunky. The bass was far too trebly as well, lost in with the guitars too often. When you're playing in the higher register a lot you need far more mid/bass than he had.

Interpol would be a good example of a similar style of guitar/bass work but with a far higher standard of musicianship.

Agree re the bass - Fascination St has a huge bass line, but you could hardly hear it. Even on Play for Today and A Forest the bass got rather lost.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reading through the comments on The Cures set I’m somewhat confused as to what some people actually expected them to come out and do? They could have played some other people’s music I suppose, but that’s not really the point is it. The Cure are deep, dark, brooding mood music with the occasional upbeat synth-popesque tune thrown into the mix. It’s a formula that made them one of the worlds biggest bands for approaching 40 years. They are hardly going to change.

Smith performed an almost perfect set vocally, as ever his voice carries the bigger numbers better than it does the quieter ones. He’s at his best when letting the angst ridden lyrics let fly. It was 2 hours of paired back musical and vocal brilliance. No gimmicks. If it’s not your taste then that’s fair enough. I'm listening to it again now, and Smiths vocal is a tour-de-force. The Cure did what The Cure do, and did it faultlessly.

I recorded their show last night and can't wait to watch it again and again and again and again.

I don't know why The Cure haters put themselves through two hours of pain, when there are plenty of other TV channels. Bizarre.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Best bits for me;

Tame Impala - should've had The Killers slot, stunning visuals and great songs.
Billie Eilish - still haven't fully made my mind up on her, but really intriguing. Very fully formed sound/musical personality for someone who was born in 2001. That's terrifying.
Maggie Rogers - always good, her enthusiasm is highly infectious.
Interpol - probably not their strongest set (won't ever be again unless Carlos comes back) but still lightyears ahead of most in their genre.
Foals - always good.

Haven't properly watched Stormzy's set yet, will do. The Killers were poor and very phoned in.

Billie Eilish was just a name I'd come across in the music press, but watched out of curiosity thinking I'll last 2 mins. I was totally mesmerized.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I recorded their show last night and can't wait to watch it again and again and again and again.

I don't know why The Cure haters put themselves through two hours of pain, when there are plenty of other TV channels. Bizarre.

I will be digging out the VPN and watching the set tomorrow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Billie Eilish was just a name I'd come across in the music press, but watched out of curiosity thinking I'll last 2 mins. I was totally mesmerized.

A friend put me onto her a few months ago. I was very much of the idea I’d roll my eyes and dismiss her. But, like you, found her quite mesmerising and interesting. She reminds me of the days in the 80s when mainstream pop could be populated with strange characters and odd balls.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A friend put me onto her a few months ago. I was very much of the idea I’d roll my eyes and dismiss her. But, like you, found her quite mesmerising and interesting. She reminds me of the days in the 80s when mainstream pop could be populated with strange characters and odd balls.

Yep, she feels more indie than modern pop, albeit with a huge marketing machine behind her.

Bury a Friend is particularly great. The oddest hit track for a long time.

Her teenage fans are bloody MAD for her..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCQLJWFYLU&t=2608s

(One young act I won't be seeing live)

On a side note, in an interview with The Times over the weekend, she said her only trusted friend now is her therapist. She's 17.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Was an amazing set, probably highlight of the weekend other than maybe Fontaines D.C., glad I was representing Brighton on TV.

Got tickets for Fontaines D.C. at the Concorde in November. Happily there's something on at the Dome that night or they would probably be moving it. Should be a pretty good show .

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Got tickets for Fontaines D.C. at the Concorde in November. Happily there's something on at the Dome that night or they would probably be moving it. Should be a pretty good show .

If it was anything like the 3 times I saw them this weekend you will not be disappointed

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

Same here.Loved it and will listen to more of her stuff.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
My kids like to listen to a bit of rap/hiphop I quite like some tracks, my only criticism is how many times artists mention Cars, Gucci, Louis V, money and I grew up poor it all seems a bit repetitive same words just in different lyrics. Can’t blame them easy way to earn I guess.

Oh it certainly has its played out tropes, the same as any other genre. However there are people who are making really interesting, original, creative music. My personal favourite being the weird 80’s inspired instrumentals CasIsDead has been rapping on over the last few years*.

It’s also worth noting that whilst a lot of the rap about the typical “I came from a poor home and crime.” mantra, it’s genuinely a lot more grounded in reality than it’s American counterpart. Dave has 2 brothers in jail for murder, including one who was part of the Sofyen Belamouadden joint enterprise case, J Hus only got out of jail earlier this year for knife possession, Konan from Krept & Konan saw his stepdad stabbed to death and has spent time in jail, Giggs spent time in jail before he was a rapper. And that’s before you get in to the weird drill situation in the U.K. where artists are banned from releasing music and having their videos with millions of views taken down. It can fall in to stereotypes but at least it comes from somewhere real and offers people an escape from that lifestyle.

*Any chance to advertise Cas :kiss:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here