Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury - June 2019

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m running a day behind with my Glastonbury viewing so apologies.

But, Stormzy. Wow. What a performance. I have seen more established artists like Gorillaz and Arctic Monkeys struggle with the main stage headline slot. It even subdued Bono at times. And Stormzy was the first black U.K. headliner, just 25 years old and with only one album; no pressure there then. But he was faultless with a show full of imagination, wit and verve. An icon Glastonbury moment and a British cultural milestone.

I also caught IDLES who were excellent, Georgia (and artist who I completely forgot about) and some other bits and bobs. An excellent first day.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am now definitely too old and set in my tastes to enjoy Glastonbore these days. Never heard of most of the acts, and don't much care either.

Back to Radio 3 (sigh)...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I am now definitely too old and set in my tastes to enjoy Glastonbore these days. Never heard of most of the acts, and don't much care either.

Back to Radio 3 (sigh)...

I'm kind of erring on your side, I don't know 95% of the acts and the ones I do know didn't sound that good. Glad I'm not bleaching in a field going through it, no wonder the cameras are always finding someone crying in the audience.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
And Stormzy was the first black U.K. headliner, just 25 years old and with only one album; no pressure there then. But he was faultless with a show full of imagination, wit and verve. An icon Glastonbury moment and a British cultural milestone.

Except he wasn't...

Not watched any of Glastonbury this year, I will check out the Chemical Brothers set though.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Could Glastonbury finally see the phenomenal Billie Eilish discussed on NSC? (No way I'm starting a new thread. :p)

"Eilish is by a long way the coolest human being I have ever met. The simultaneous nonchalance and polish with which she poses for the camera is breathtaking; she has that mysterious quality of otherness that makes stardom look less like ambition than destiny."

Wow. Decca Aitkenhead in The Times, today.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Chemical brothers have completely and utterly stolen Glasto with this set. Nothing beating it. No chance.

100% agree. Amazing set as usual. Might as well only have one act all weekend with screens and speakers across the whole site. All other acts can stay at home.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sunday update

For those watching and listening to the BBC coverage there's more details here.
Essentially over 100 sets live on iPlayer (Main Stage, Pyramid, Other, West Holts, John Peel, and Park Stage) and lots of other coverage on BBC 1,2,4 and R2, R1,6M, 1X and Sounds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...C/how-to-watch-and-listen-to-glastonbury-2019

Highlights today (Sunday) includes sets , streamed live or via the telly, from The Cure, Kylie, Bille Eilish, Christine and the Queens, Janelle Monae, Loyle Carner, Miley Cyrus, The Streets, Roy Ayers, This is the Kit, Vampire Weekend, Years and Years, Kamasi Washington.

Via iPlayer now there's sets and programmes featuring Liam Gallagher, The Killers, Janet Jackson, Foals, Chemical Brothers, Neneh Cherry, Stormzy, Tame Impala, The Charlatans, Idles, Cat Power, Bastille, Sheryl Crow and LOTS MORE as they say
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b007r6vx/glastonbury

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
My stepson Jack, who is sound engineer at The Concorde, is doing the sound engineer/desk and for Loyle Carner on the Other stage today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Except he wasn't...

Not watched any of Glastonbury this year, I will check out the Chemical Brothers set though.

?? I have not checked but I’m pretty certain Skunk Anansie have never headlined Glastonbury. Maybe they topped the “Other” stage?

Edit. They did indeed headline on the Sunday. I never knew that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
?? I have not checked but I’m pretty certain Skunk Anansie have never headlined Glastonbury. Maybe they topped the “Other” stage?

Edit. They did indeed headline on the Sunday. I never knew that.

I'm pretty sure that BBC radio kept using the word "solo", so something like "First black British solo artist", possibly due to Skunk Anansie. Regardless, Skunk Anansie...

- Is a band, not a singular artist.
- Wasn't an entirely black band.

I'm not sure any of this really matters anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm pretty sure that BBC radio kept using the word "solo", so something like "First black British solo artist", possibly due to Skunk Anansie. Regardless, Skunk Anansie...

- Is a band, not a singular artist.
- Wasn't an entirely black band.

I'm not sure any of this really matters anyway.

Fair enough, though I was a little surprised to find out Skunk Anansie had headlined.

But yeah, not sure it matters.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Chemical brothers have completely and utterly stolen Glasto with this set. Nothing beating it. No chance.

Watched it and loved it. Made me want to take a shedload of class As and jump around like a loon.

The fact they look like a couple of the dads on the school PTA amuses me no end.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just seen Liam do Slide Away on catch-up. Have to say that if Oasis were ever to reform and tour their early stuff, it would easily ECLIPSE any cash-ins by Take That and The Spice Girls combined. Dare say Guigsy and Bonehead wouldn't say no to winning that particular payday lottery either. Everyone's a WINNAH baby! :clap:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
65557114_10158062669212241_5616420349479485440_n.jpg

Ace photo from the Chems last night (feat Aurora).

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Just watched Gerry Cinnamon - brutal and honest folk music - a new working class hero is born

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here