Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury - June 2019

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One thing I've always been curious about in the 21 years since I've been to Glastonbury is whether the only way in is with a ticket. What is security like these days? The first year in 94 we bought a ticket because we thought we had to. The next year we jumped the fence about a few hundred metres from where several hundred people were in the process of ripping it down. The last two years we paid corrupt stewards £15 each to give us a stamp as if we'd already been in and then returned to the car. It's always been the assumption that it's not possible now but they used to dig tunnels under the fence fcs. Tickets sell out so quickly that there must still be schemes going on to get into the festival

These days they have an 8 mile long, 20 feet high solid metal fence, with watch towers every few metres (literally!) and an inner fence, all patrolled by hundreds of security personnel on foot, in vehicles between the two fences an on the towers.

The police and council forced all that on the Eavis's, saying the effectively unlimited numbers of punters threatened their safety.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
These days they have an 8 mile long, 20 feet high solid metal fence, with watch towers every few metres (literally!) and an inner fence, all patrolled by hundreds of security personnel on foot, in vehicles between the two fences an on the towers.

The police and council forced all that on the Eavis's, saying the effectively unlimited numbers of punters threatened their safety.
It must costs a fortune to run the festival these days. However, if you want a a different way of getting a ticket you would probably be better off trying to get a press pass or get work on a stall or a charity - or hospitality. Do they still give free tickets to litter pickers? I remember buying my tickets in the 1990s from the Peace Shop in Brighton a few months before the festival.

I'm also surprised they don't put the price of tickets up more these days. If they give (some of the) profit to charities, then charging more would be beneficial to society (hopefully) and would stop the tickets selling out in 30 minutes each time. I guess they feel they need to draw a fine line between charity-giving and appearing to be too elitist. Maybe they have a lot of more expensive inclusive tickets for sale with tents - expanding that would keep the main ticket price increases down.

Even so, it does seem now that tickets are most likely to go the most tech-savvy people, which I guess is as good a method as any other.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The heat is ****ing unbearable! [emoji3508]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And having been before and after the fence I must say I much prefer the post fence Glastonbury.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Watching Stormzy's set now. What a performance.

I have not watched it yet but the reaction has been incredible. It’s certainly going to go down in history as an iconic Glastonbury moment and possibly a wider British cultural milestone. Fair play to him and also the Eavis’ for the foresight and belief.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
When I started listening to U.K. Hip-Hop 10ish years ago breaking 100k views on a YouTube video was a massive deal.

Now you have Stormzy headlining Glastonbury and not looking out of place. Monumental.

Edit: As f*cking if they showed Ghetts losing his mind against Bashy at Risky Roads on BBC2. :laugh: This may be the pinnacle of human achievement.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Google: Arcadia, Block9, Shangri-la, The Glade, The Common etc etc. Crazy shit which goes on all night.

To save you Googling, this is what Arcadia looked like last night. 40,000 people raving all night in the back fields of Glastonbury. No live BBC coverage of this, obv.

arcadia.png

arcadia2.png

Anyone who thinks that Glastonbury is "like other music festivals, just a bit bigger", simply HAS NOT BEEN. Not in the 21st century, anyway.

And then there's Block9/IICON...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To save you Googling, this is what Arcadia looked like last night. 40,000 people raving all night in the back fields of Glastonbury. No live BBC coverage of this, obv.

View attachment 112177

View attachment 112178

Anyone who thinks that Glastonbury is "like other music festivals, just a bit bigger", simply HAS NOT BEEN. Not in the 21st century, anyway.

Very much this. This is what Ezra Koenig, frontman of Vampire Weekend says:

. “I stayed up all night and understood: this is very special. I can’t think of many festivals where there are old hippies who do their thing and keep to themselves, and keep that spirit of the 60s alive with arts and crafts. And there’s all the secret stuff you find in the woods, the various raves, little mini pubs everywhere ... “ None of this is live on the Beeb either.

And this is from a man who has been to loads of festivals around the world.

It’s unique. It’s run on very different ideas and values to all other festivals. It’s truly special. It’s like no other. And I agree if you think it’s just like other festivals but bigger you clearly haven’t been.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And if there was ever a band and album perfectly made for a balmy Saturday night in a field in Glastonbury it’s Hot Chip and their new long player.

And please don’t take the album title literally; rave safe comrades.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

View attachment 112177

View attachment 112178

This is so true, i never see any headliners, it's all about the rave arenas! 5am finish last night, everyone suffering in the sun today! After the awesome spider shows I wasnt sure I'd like the new Arcadia but it was pretty spectacular

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here