Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mosque shooting in Christchurch, NZ

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Just heard about this . I live north of Wellington so miles away but I am surprised that has happened in NZ. Youd think if one country would be safe from this it would be here

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Just heard about this . I live north of Wellington so miles away but I am surprised that has happened in NZ. Youd think if one country would be safe from this it would be here

First mass shooting since that terrible Aramoana rampage in 1990. :(

This sounds bad if there really were three shooters and they spent 20 minutes going from room to room shooting everyone. These things are usually lone wolf attacks.

Juan Albion

From the Guardian:

A man who was at the mosque during the incident is telling TVNZ he hasn’t seen his wife, who was also in the mosque this morning, since the shooting.

The man, who is in a wheelchair and pushed himself out to the carpark, has a chilling account of the event.

He said he was in the side room and the imam had just started his sermon when the shooting started.

"It was very peaceful, calm and quiet, as it is when the sermon starts, you could hear a pin drop.

"Then suddenly the shooting started. It started in the main room... I was in the side room, so I didn’t see who was shooting but I saw that some people were running out to my room where I was in, I saw some people had blood on their body and some people were limping. It was at the moment I realised things were really serious.

"So I tried too get out and I pushed myself at the back where my car was, and from there I heard the shooting, it went on six minutes or more, I could hear screaming and crying, I saw some people drop dead, some people were running away, I was in a wheelchair, so I couldn’t get anywhere.

He did his massacre inside the mosque."

The man then pushed himself back into the mosque after the shooting ended, trying to find his wife, and help others.

"I pushed myself back into the mosque. To the right, I saw about 20 plus people, some were dead, some were screaming. On the left there were 10 plus people, some were dead, I saw the bullet shells on the floor, so many hundreds."

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Apparently multiple shots heard around the city and other mosques all around the country have been notified . Good that they have a system in place for this when they realistically shouldn't have expected it .

Juan Albion

Apparently multiple shots heard around the city and other mosques all around the country have been notified . Good that they have a system in place for this when they realistically shouldn't have expected it .

Yes, some reports that 5 were shot dead at another mosque and the shooter has posted video online.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
It’s a very scary world whichever hemisphere we live in.

Let’s hope for minimal casualties.

Juan Albion

It’s a very scary world whichever hemisphere we live in.

Let’s hope for minimal casualties.

I'm afraid it sounds like many fatalities. Also reports of a car bomb and another shooting near the hospital. But then there is always confusion so we'll have to hope for the best.

Juan Albion

New Zealand police confirm that there have been multiple fatalities at two locations – one mosque on Dean’s Road and one on Linwood Avenue.

The police say one suspect is in custody, but that the situation is still ongoing and it is an active shooter situation.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Multiple fatalities at two locations and situation ongoing, with one suspect in custody, police confirm
New Zealand police confirm that there have been multiple fatalities at two locations – one mosque on Dean’s Road and one on Linwood Avenue.
The police say one suspect is in custody, but that the situation is still ongoing and it is an active shooter situation.
Commissioner Mike Bush said it was a “very serious and grave situation” and warned people not to leave their homes.
“Close your doors until you hear from us again,” said Bush.

RIP to the victims. Horrible, horrible news.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
PM Ardern says she cannot confirm precise details, including the number of casualties.
“I’m not currently in a position to confirm casualties or injuries.” But she says it is clear so far “this is a significant event”.
It will be one of New Zealand’s darkest days.” :down:

Juan Albion

Streamed live from a headcam - how sick can you get? I guess we get the world we deserve.

new-zealand-11.jpg

Juan Albion

so a white Australian racist

Yes, but the police have arrested four, so maybe some locals were involved as well.

From the pictures I've seen there are a LOT of fatalities.

Several IEDs attached to carS that have been stopped by police, so that almost confirms it was a multiple person attack.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here