Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hip Replacement Anaesthetics

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I am due to be having a Hip Replacement operation in a couple of weeks' time. Everyone assumes I must be in agony when I tell them that, which I'm not. I am well aware that something is wrong, but I am also on 3 different painkillers.

I am not worried about the operation itself, even though I have never been an in-patient before. But what I really don't know about is the anaesthetics. I had the pre-op assessment yesterday, which all went fine, but I really don't know whether to go for a general anaesthetic, or for the Spinal block option - an epidural to take care of the pain without being totally put to sleep, but being sedated to put you out.

I quite like the idea of not having to recover from a general anaesthetic, but don't fancy the idea (an understatement) of the possibility of "waking up" or being aware of what is going on.

Has anyone else had any experiences of such things?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am due to be having a Hip Replacement operation in a couple of weeks' time. Everyone assumes I must be in agony when I tell them that, which I'm not. I am well aware that something is wrong, but I am also on 3 different painkillers.

I am not worried about the operation itself, even though I have never been an in-patient before. But what I really don't know about is the anaesthetics. I had the pre-op assessment yesterday, which all went fine, but I really don't know whether to go for a general anaesthetic, or for the Spinal block option - an epidural to take care of the pain without being totally put to sleep, but being sedated to put you out.

I quite like the idea of not having to recover from a general anaesthetic, but don't fancy the idea (an understatement) of the possibility of "waking up" or being aware of what is going on.

I haven't ....but wish you well...hip replacements seem to be very successful ops :thumbsup:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’ve had a couple of 8 hour ops under a general anaesthetic, been fine waking up both times, if a little disorientated. I thought there was zoo animals in the ward after the first one.
It did make me very weary for a couple of days afterwards, but, really nothing to worry about.
I’ve been sedated and had a lot of local anaesthetic for a smaller procedure, having a defribullator fitted in my chest, and came round when they were testing it. The morphine made it all worthwhile though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

General EVERY time. I have had many. It is all sweet dreams, very low adverse effect risk and wake up oblivious. There is no chance whatsoever of 'waking up' or 'being aware'. A hip replacement is absolutely a shoo-in must for general. I can explain more if needs be - pm me :thumbsup:

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey

Cant say about a hip but I had a knee replacement about4 years ago. I had to have the spinal block so was awake the whole time.I was given a drink which made me a bit dozy.The only problem was hearing what was going on,other than that it was fine.Lovely not having to go to recovery room. hope this helps a bit .

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I had my appendix out over twenty years ago.
As I was being wheeled from the operating theatre to the recovery room I started to come round from the anaesthetic.
Unfortunately I've always suffered with motion sickness so the fact I was woozy, looking up as the ceiling tiles went by, resulted in me chucking my guts up just as my bed entered the lift. I just fell back to sleep but some poor person had to clean it up.
Next time I have a general I'll ask them to keep me asleep until I get to the recovery room.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
My daughter has just had her 2nd hip replacement at Haywards Heath. She had a spinal block and never felt a thing. Hope yours goes well but make sure you get good pain control afterwards.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Had two knee replacements. First with a General, second epidural but still asleep. Recovery with epidural was quicker in that Imwas walking as soon as out of theatre albeit for a few steps. GA no walking until next day. In the end it’s not so much about the anaesthetic more about the physio that follows as to how well you recover. After care exercise is the most important .Do that and push yourself to the limit and it will end well.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Had two hip replacements both with epidural and light anesthetic to send under, no problems and both easy quick recovery after a first 36 hours absolotly nothi g to worry a out, suct a perfectect operation now back on your feet in no time and stress free

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I get to kill two birds with one stone here. Offer advice to David, who I troubled with my woes some time ago (possibly inappropriately...), & disagree with [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] for the first time in 700 odd posts.

There are inherent risks with any operation. Hip replacement, if carried out at a centre that follows the GIRFT (Get It Right First Time) criteria, is relatively low risk. Have a look at the National Joint Registry website http://www.njrcentre.org.uk and check outcomes for the surgeon and hospital taking care of you.

As soon as you add in a general anaesthetic (GA) you increase the risk significantly. Problems can occur on induction and throughout the anaesthetic including loss of secure airway, adverse reaction to medication, pneumothorax (collapsed lung), difficult/prolonged recovery. Some of these can kill you. The balanced argument should also state the potential problems with epidural/spinal anaesthetic. These include permanent nerve damage, bleeding, exposure to operating environment (some may find traumatic), prolonged recovery due to temporary paralysis. The key for me here is that none of these will kill you.

I have not listed every possible complication for either method as you'll hear this from your doctor/surgeon. You can discuss having a light sedation alongside the spinal/epidural, I would advise this. It will cognitively remove you from the situation and alleviate any anxiety about being present/in pain etc. A member of the operating theatre team is posted right beside you to ensure you are ok through your op, to provide emotional support, to explain what's going on if you're interested. This person will not leave you.

For what it's worth I've worked in various healthcare environments for twenty odd years as a clinician, and currently manage clinical services for an independent provider. We do more hip & knee replacements per year than any other independent in the uk, and more than the vast majority of NHS hospitals. I'm happy to PM or chat if you have questions.

Whatever you choose, the risks are minimal, but they are there. The potential implications of a GA are greater than those of a spinal. I know which one I'd choose. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I get to kill two birds with one stone here. Offer advice to David, who I troubled with my woes some time ago (possibly inappropriately...), & disagree with [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] for the first time in 700 odd posts.

There are inherent risks with any operation. Hip replacement, if carried out at a centre that follows the GIRFT (Get It Right First Time) criteria, is relatively low risk. Have a look at the National Joint Registry website http://www.njrcentre.org.uk and check outcomes for the surgeon and hospital taking care of you.

As soon as you add in a general anaesthetic (GA) you increase the risk significantly. Problems can occur on induction and throughout the anaesthetic including loss of secure airway, adverse reaction to medication, pneumothorax (collapsed lung), difficult/prolonged recovery. Some of these can kill you. The balanced argument should also state the potential problems with epidural/spinal anaesthetic. These include permanent nerve damage, bleeding, exposure to operating environment (some may find traumatic), prolonged recovery due to temporary paralysis. The key for me here is that none of these will kill you.

I have not listed every possible complication for either method as you'll hear this from your doctor/surgeon. You can discuss having a light sedation alongside the spinal/epidural, I would advise this. It will cognitively remove you from the situation and alleviate any anxiety about being present/in pain etc. A member of the operating theatre team is posted right beside you to ensure you are ok through your op, to provide emotional support, to explain what's going on if you're interested. This person will not leave you.

For what it's worth I've worked in various healthcare environments for twenty odd years as a clinician, and currently manage clinical services for an independent provider. We do more hip & knee replacements per year than any other independent in the uk, and more than the vast majority of NHS hospitals. I'm happy to PM or chat if you have questions.

Whatever you choose, the risks are minimal, but they are there. The potential implications of a GA are greater than those of a spinal. I know which one I'd choose. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Agree with the person beside you. when my knee was done mine was a football fan and we spent a lot of time talking football

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

for something like that i would be getting knocked out completely ......you will know Jeff all about it , i don't have a problem with anaesthesia myself , pethidine makes me nauseous but i think they are moving away from opiates these days ......my advice would be get put out mate....good luck ....:thumbsup:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Good luck whichever way you go. Don't be brave afterwards - take the morphine if you need it - it's bloody lovely (although some do hallucinate).I think I'd be going general. When I have watched stuff going on like that it's a dilemma. I'm very nosey but a bit squeamish - so watch a bit look away watch a bit look away. Last general anaesthetic I had some very mild vision issues for a short while - no trouble really. good luck again

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

My wife is a theatre sister and has assisted in 100's of Hip Replacements and she says having the spinal block and sedation is the better option for a speedier recovery as a general anaesthetic can sometimes make you feel groggy for several days. As for waking up during the operation if you go for the spinal block and sedation this is unlikely to happen and the fact that you have had a spinal block means that you will not feel any pain or sensation in the hip area during and immediately after the surgery. At my wife hospital patients who have received a new hip are usually up and around within a few hours after the surgery. This is easier following just sedation rather than a general anaesthetic so recovery begins sooner.

Hope that helps and good luck with the op.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Had two hip replacements both with epidural and light anesthetic to send under, no problems and both easy quick recovery after a first 36 hours absolotly nothi g to worry a out, suct a perfectect operation now back on your feet in no time and stress free

Same here. You don't get the side effects that can go with a general and you can also have a drink straight away when you get back to the ward.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
I had a 2 hour operation on my hand, fully awake, curtain so I couldn't see what was going on. I was chatting to 2 nurses throughout. I did keep asking are they actually doing anything as there was no pain at all. They gave me pain killers to take away with me.
The only pain I had was the physio some weeks later.
There were a number of hip replacement patients in the other operating theaters who I spoke to in the post op room, they seem to have had the same experience I had.
I would say don't worry its a lot safer than a general.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010

I had a total hip replacement in June 2017 left hip which has turned out to be fantastic
I had a Spinal block which was fine for me.
They also gave me a sedative which made me slightly drowsy
during the op. It took approximately 45 minutes and was back
in my room. The physio came round approx 2 hours later
and got me out of bed and walking around on crutches
I took all the painkillers they gave me and was home after a 2 night
stay.
The pressure socks I had to wear were fairly uncomfortable and the
injections I had to give myself for the following month
to stop clotting wasn’t to bad
I was walking with one crutch after 2 weeks and unaided after
about 4 weeks
Today without any doubt it has changed my life beyond belief
My right hip is bad and the consultant told me at the time
that I would need it doing so will be happy to get it sorted
I had it done at the montifiore under the NHS
I wish you well and please PM me if I can be of any help
Good luck

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I would recommend going traditional. Half a bottle of rum and some wood to bite on.

On a serious note I have no idea but good luck.

Great to see you back. Maybe behave yourself in the future ?:wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I had a General Anaesthetic last Friday 5pm and was home at 11pm that day at the Brighton Nuffield! Didn’t feel that bad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here