Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Birmingham primary school suspends LGBT lessons indefinitely

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I completely agree that children should be taught about LGBT issues in school, but NOT in primary school.

Sexuality is an adult topic. Only pubescent or adult people can possibly understand them. Primary school kids are too young to comprehend or relate to any kind of sexual issues. Little boys will often openly admit that they find the idea of having a girlfriend "disgusting", and take the piss out of each other for having "girlfriends", even though they will grow up to be straight men. Educating them at this age about the "options" of sexual preferences surely can't lead to anything other than confusion. I don't think it's healthy, any more than it is teaching them about heterosexual sexuality at that age - they're just too young to get it.

Secondary school is the level when they should be taught about the sexuality of themselves and others, as that is the age when they will begin to have and start to understand their urges. Teaching them before they hit puberty that they might be attracted to the same the same sex, or they might even be another gender, at that age, is mad.

Two of my granddaughters had periods before they went to secondary school.

Should they have been told to wait for an explanation?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Great to see tolerance alive and well in the UK, be interesting to see if the professionally offended are going to be offended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I completely agree that children should be taught about LGBT issues in school, but NOT in primary school.

Sexuality is an adult topic. Only pubescent or adult people can possibly understand them. Primary school kids are too young to comprehend or relate to any kind of sexual issues. Little boys will often openly admit that they find the idea of having a girlfriend "disgusting", and take the piss out of each other for having "girlfriends", even though they will grow up to be straight men. Educating them at this age about the "options" of sexual preferences surely can't lead to anything other than confusion. I don't think it's healthy, any more than it is teaching them about heterosexual sexuality at that age - they're just too young to get it.

Secondary school is the level when they should be taught about the sexuality of themselves and others, as that is the age when they will begin to have and start to understand their urges. Teaching them before they hit puberty that they might be attracted to the same the same sex, or they might even be another gender, at that age, is mad.

As a gay man, I completely 100% disagree. . If you wait till secondary school its to late!. Primary school is the exactly right age to start the education!. This isnt about teaching them how to have sex ffs, its about showing kids that different types of family are all normal. Before you start banging on about its too young, I knew at SIX that I was not "like the other guys". There are plenty of same sex couples with children at primary schools up and down the country- do you suggest that they are told that they must hide that fact.? What happens when the other children find out-which they surely do, what do you say to a kid who wants to have a birthday party and who has two Dads or Mums- oh sorry you have to hide one parent away and not mention them?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
what do you mean by this? Informing children of the world around them is called Education, its not giving them sex lessons. The whole point is , that if you leave it till the biggots have indoctrinated them in to thinking gay is evil, its too bloody late. All these lessons do is explain that some relationships are m/f and some aren't. Bullying starts at a very young age, and there will be kids at school with same sex parents, other kids will latch on and bully once they hear from parents about how its wrong, and how they want to "recruit" into the gay lifestyle. By letting children know that there are all kinds of families, made up of mixed race, mixed and same sex parents you may just stop some bullying, and who knows a few wont grow up thinking thats its ok to gay bash, or that actually its ok to be gay. No one ois trying to take childhood away, they are just trying to make it more bearable for some!

I despair, five to eleven year olds don’t need this. Leave it until they are at an age where they can begin to comprehend sexuality. When I was eleven I was walking home from school with a friend when he told me that my parents must have had sexual intercourse. Not knowing what this was, I asked my mum, when I got home, where her and dad went to take these courses. I then got the birds and bees thing from dad and stopped him in his tracks by saying I knew all about putting willies in ladies holes, weeing and making babies. It’s called innocence.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I despair, five to eleven year olds don’t need this. Leave it until they are at an age where they can begin to comprehend sexuality. When I was eleven I was walking home from school with a friend when he told me that my parents must have had sexual intercourse. Not knowing what this was, I asked my mum, when I got home, where her and dad went to take these courses. I then got the birds and bees thing from dad and stopped him in his tracks by saying I knew all about putting willies in ladies holes, weeing and making babies. It’s called innocence.

I despair as well- you seem to think this is going to tell primary school kids about gay sex!!! Its not, its about inclusivity, its saying that there are different types of family, and that that is OK. That's it. As I have said in previous posts, what if a child has a friend who has same sex parents. That child is likely to ask how comes I have a mum and dad, and you have two dads- what should the child be told? Or should they be forced to pretend they dont have two dads- make it seem wrong- that way intolerance and bigotry lay in wait.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I despair as well- you seem to think this is going to tell primary school kids about gay sex!!! Its not, its about inclusivity, its saying that there are different types of family, and that that is OK. That's it. As I have said in previous posts, what if a child has a friend who has same sex parents. That child is likely to ask how comes I have a mum and dad, and you have two dads- what should the child be told? Or should they be forced to pretend they dont have two dads- make it seem wrong- that way intolerance and bigotry lay in wait.

You’ve completely missed the point, but there you go.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I agree that very young children should be made aware that same sex couples, gender fluid and transgender people exist and are normal... but I don't believe that "LGBT lessons" are useful at that age, they shouldn't be told that they might be another gender, or that they might end up being with another gender. They simply shouldn't be considering such things at that age.

It's great that at six you realised you weren't like other guys. I also think it's great that such an education wasn't around that was dutied to inform you that you were gay at that age. It's just not necessary. I hope you had a great childhood without worrying about the implications of being different to a majority of other boys. Surely we can agree that it's just not necessary to teach children what their sexual or romatic preferences will be, before they have any comprehension of what it is?

FFS they aren't LGBT Lessons, they are inclusivity lessons which include mixed race as well as LGBT and no I didnt have a great childhood, it was in parts ****ing awful, mainly because I KNEW i was different but kids weren't taught about differences, perhaps if they were myself and numerous others wouldn't have been verbally and physically abused and made to feel that something was wrong with us.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
SO happy this wasn't taught to me at school. And just enjoyed being children, And relieved I'm not a parent putting up with this..
Introducing kids minds about different types of orientation at that age is just so messed up.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I agree that very young children should be made aware that same sex couples, gender fluid and transgender people exist and are normal... but I don't believe that "LGBT lessons" are useful at that age, they shouldn't be told that they might be another gender, or that they might end up being with another gender. They simply shouldn't be considering such things at that age.

It's great that at six you realised you weren't like other guys. I also think it's great that such an education wasn't around that was dutied to inform you that you were gay at that age. It's just not necessary. I hope you had a great childhood without worrying about the implications of being different to a majority of other boys. Surely we can agree that it's just not necessary to teach children what their sexual or romatic preferences will be, before they have any comprehension of what it is?

I think the main drive is for when same sex parents take their child to school is to make sure the child isn't bullied over it. Dildos and strapons is more for the advanced older students.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
When I was in primary school, girls had their first sex education lesson before the boys did for that very reason. I'm sure something similar could be figured out in the modern era.

The modern era? You seem to have only just found yo way out of the stone age.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Council wins injunction banning mass protests at Anderton Park School - as campaigners say fight goes on

An exclusion zone will come into force on Monday in the streets around Anderton Park School

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/council-wins-injunction-banning-mass-16363059

Birmingham City Council has won a High Court order banning mass protests over LGBT equalities teaching outside a Birmingham school.

The council made the application following several weeks of campaigning outside Anderton Park Primary School in the city.

An exclusion zone will operate in the streets to halt any more gatherings in sight and sound of the primary school, that could disrupt pupils, or intimidate staff.

The interim order is issued against chief protesters Shakeel Afsar, Rosina Afsar and Amir Ahmed and all other 'persons unknown', and if anyone defies the order, they could face arrest.

The three organisers will have the chance to challenge the order at a further court hearing on June 10.

Early news of the injunction drew a defiant response from lead protester Shakeel Afsar, who says he has a mandate from hundreds of parents to represent them.

He said he was yet to see a copy of the injunction so could not comment in detail - but added:

“Be in no doubt the campaign will continue. This is not the end but a beginning.

“We are not backing down."

He added: "When the community realises that people's views are being silenced, the people will rise up more firmly."

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Council wins injunction banning mass protests at Anderton Park School - as campaigners say fight goes on

An exclusion zone will come into force on Monday in the streets around Anderton Park School

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/council-wins-injunction-banning-mass-16363059

Birmingham City Council has won a High Court order banning mass protests over LGBT equalities teaching outside a Birmingham school.

The council made the application following several weeks of campaigning outside Anderton Park Primary School in the city.

An exclusion zone will operate in the streets to halt any more gatherings in sight and sound of the primary school, that could disrupt pupils, or intimidate staff.

The interim order is issued against chief protesters Shakeel Afsar, Rosina Afsar and Amir Ahmed and all other 'persons unknown', and if anyone defies the order, they could face arrest.

The three organisers will have the chance to challenge the order at a further court hearing on June 10.

Early news of the injunction drew a defiant response from lead protester Shakeel Afsar, who says he has a mandate from hundreds of parents to represent them.

He said he was yet to see a copy of the injunction so could not comment in detail - but added:

“Be in no doubt the campaign will continue. This is not the end but a beginning.

“We are not backing down."

He added: "When the community realises that people's views are being silenced, the people will rise up more firmly."

seems like some people just love to protest and defend the risk of their children being taught ways that are contrary to their religion , despite being in an adopted country whilst refusing to live by local standards and culture......is this not massive hypocrisy....??

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
SO happy this wasn't taught to me at school. And just enjoyed being children, And relieved I'm not a parent putting up with this..
Introducing kids minds about different types of orientation at that age is just so messed up.

I'm a parent with three children now 18, 16 and 13. We started to teach them about how people are all different and how wonderful that is from when they were about 5. It was nothing what so ever to do with sexual intercourse. They've grown up happy and are very inclusive and with friends of every gender, race, sexuality, colour, creed and religion. If taught properly there is no reason not to start early.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm a parent with three children now 18, 16 and 13. We started to teach them about how people are all different and how wonderful that is from when they were about 5. It was nothing what so ever to do with sexual intercourse. They've grown up happy and are very inclusive and with friends of every gender, race, sexuality, colour, creed and religion. If taught properly there is no reason not to start early.

I have no problems with my daughter being taught any of it. There might actually be children when she starts school in Sept that might have two dad's or two mum's, the last thing I want is my daughter to becoming intolerant, unlike the fine example these parents are currently setting. It all starts off in the home.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i think that it is fair to say that if there were more parents who were prepared to discuss and educate their kids on such issues then the world would be a better place .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Without wishing to point any specific fingers, I find it mildly amusing that some people who, if pressed, would probably admit to somewhat Islamophobic attitudes, are on the side of these protesty fellahs owing to shared but unacknowledged and unadmitted homophobia (which they may define as protecting family values and upholding the 'rights of parental choice').

On the other hand I am very cheered to see that people who may sometimes seem a bit anti-Islammy (or at least somewhat unhappy about the way society has changed in the last 30 years, let's say) on occasion (ahem) are four square in support of our national education policy that encourages inclusion and teaches against discrimination. Very cheered.

I'd like to hope that the religion/society threads on NSC will increasingly include right and proper criticism of medaevil religion and its inappropriate influence on wider national policy and life, and indeed on the minds of the kids in families with medaevil religion, without the need for the nastiness of the past that has seen folk slung off NSC. Likewise it will be good to see the good or bad deeds of people of religion not conflated with the religion, and vice versa. I say that as an athiest who has been needlessly rude to Christians, Catholics, Muslims and others in the past, on NSC and in real life.

Live and let live, respect for others, and do not imagine you can use your religion to oppose issues in the national interest (that includes proper education on societal matters, AND getting you kids vaccinated; probaly other things too but none immediately spring to mind). Likewise, councils and governments need to stand firm against bullying from special interest groups, whether religious or other.

Finally, and I struggle more with this; people should protest about things - potest can trigger change. Protests can often involve illegality. Whether you support it or not is often predicated by your own prejudice. You can arrange a legal protest march, though - happens all the time. Egging politicians? No, that's bad. Disrupting traffic to protest against climate change? No, please don't. And keeping your kid out of school because you don't agree with the national curriculum, while standing outside and 'protesting'? Fines, fines, and if fines have no impact, put the kids into care. There, I said it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not sure I understand why that was necessary.
Please explain why the British National Curriculum doesn't apply in certain parts of the country.

As this curriculum was imposed by a Tory government,without any input from an obviously sensitive minority on the committee,I'm surprised you approve.Perhaps you might think before posting.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

Do you feel that introducing kids to the idea that mixed race relationships is "so messed up", or that mixed religious relationships is "so messed up" because that is all this is doing. What would you call me if I said we shouldn't tell kids that having say one Asian parent and one Caucasian parent was normal. Or if I said we should specifically NOT tell them that it was normal, but that it was ok to tell them that other mixed relationships were ok? This is how racism, homophobia, religious intolerance starts, or more importantly, its how we stop it from starting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here