Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Birmingham primary school suspends LGBT lessons indefinitely

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A Birmingham primary school that taught pupils about*LGBT rights*as part of a programme to challenge homophobia has suspended the lessons indefinitely until a resolution is reached with protesting parents.

Parkfield community school in Saltley has been the scene of weekly protests over the lessons, which parents claim are promoting gay and transgender lifestyles.

School chiefs have now said the No Outsiders lessons, which teach tolerance of diverse groups, including those of different races, genders and sexual orientation, will not be taught “until a resolution has been reached”.

Previously*Parkfield said*they would continue as normal after the Easter holidays.

This month about 600 Muslim children, aged between four and 11, were withdrawn from the school for the day, parents said. Parkfield would not confirm the number."

British values, tolerance and and integration? My ass!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Words fail me...nearly. If I understand the post correctly, it is the LGBTQ element of the inclusive lesson that is being protested against. As a member of that community I can only wonder how much easier it would have been for me to have had a basic understanding at that age, so that when I came to realise my sexuality I didn't have to wonder WTF was going on with me. It is NEVER to early to learn about any of this, and given my complete confusion from the age of about 7 or 8 it would certainly have helped me. It would undoubtedly helped those parents who are protesting as it may have stopped there homophobic protest by providing them with a basic understanding of sexuality. Perhaps those parents should take the class to see if it provides them with some insight

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Personally I agree with the parents, not on their LGBT stance but children at that age should be just allowed to be kids. I pulled my own daughter out of Sex education when it was taught at 10 in her school in Shoreham. She's doing it now at 12 and that, for me, is the right age. Before that she was just too young imho and I just wanted her to have a time being a child without the added stress relationships bring.

If they taught tolerance for others and their own beliefs, then I would get behind that.

Let children be children, there is enough years of adulthood in a person's life without forcing it on our children.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Personally I agree with the parents, not on their LGBT stance but children at that age should be just allowed to be kids. I pulled my own daughter out of Sex education when it was taught at 10 in her school in Shoreham. She's doing it now at 12 and that, for me, is the right age. Before that she was just too young imho and I just wanted her to have a time being a child without the added stress relationships bring.

If they taught tolerance for others and their own beliefs, then I would get behind that.

Let children be children, there is enough years of adulthood in a person's life without forcing it on our children.

Trouble is children being children will have already noticed some of their peers are different to them and started bullying them through a lack of understanding. This isnt just tollerance of sexuality it is of other religions and cultures. Waiting too late you may as well not bother like they did in my day at school.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was on the radio the other day. The 'lessons' are focused in inclusivity, without any sexual content. The parent spokesman was quite eloquent and no Ali Garnett, but he did have the wrong end of the stick. Maybe best to lose the battle only to win the war in 6 months? Or maybe better to tell them to suck it up or lose their funding. I favour the latter, to be fair. I don't believe in pandering to the misinformed. We already have that with the 'hell bent on Brexit' PM....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trouble is children being children will have already noticed some of their peers are different to them and started bullying them through a lack of understanding. This isnt just tollerance of sexuality it is of other religions and cultures. Waiting too late you may as well not bother like they did in my day at school.

Quite.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just shows it really is grim up north.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Can't help thinking this is more for a binfest than anything else.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I do feel sympathy for the parents.If some attempt had been made to co-ordinate with the local mosque and madrassa,then this might have been avoided.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This month about 600 Muslim children, aged between four and 11, were withdrawn from the school for the day

As soon as I saw it was in Birmingham I knew why..... Homosexual lifestyle doesn’t fit into this society’s teachings.

Would they be giving advice on birth control & abortion at a staunch Catholic School in Eire?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think there may be a misunderstanding on these 'lessons'. It's not sex education that is being taught, but inclusivity. That's different.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As soon as I saw it was in Birmingham I knew why..... Homosexual lifestyle doesn’t fit into this society’s teachings.

Would they be giving advice on birth control & abortion at a staunch Catholic School in Eire?

But, we don't live in Eire. And perhaps they should.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

On Newsnight last night they were talking about this with a labour MP (Max Sweeting?) and an Imam whose name escaped me, but had some sort of position/responsibility on values. He was excellent. He stated categorically that those who were demonstrating were wrong, was very clear that making children aware of homosexuality will not persuade them in to going down that road later on in life, and had obviously done his homework/was well versed in the subject because he was VERY clear that the aim of the syllabus or whatever is inclusivity. One of the demonstrators when interviewed had used the word "proselytising", i.e that this was about encouraging homosexuality. The Imam said that was rubbish, and that it was helping children to understand what is going on if there is a child in their class who has two mummies or two daddies..... which is exactly my understanding of what it is about.

I'm tempted to quote Bob Dylan - "and don't criticise what you can't understand".... or perhaps better put here "don't protest about things if you don't know the facts of the matter."

PS His name is Ibrahim Mogra, and it is on here at around 15 minutes if anybody is interested. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00052qs/newsnight-15052019

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Why can’t they just let children be children

what do you mean by this? Informing children of the world around them is called Education, its not giving them sex lessons. The whole point is , that if you leave it till the biggots have indoctrinated them in to thinking gay is evil, its too bloody late. All these lessons do is explain that some relationships are m/f and some aren't. Bullying starts at a very young age, and there will be kids at school with same sex parents, other kids will latch on and bully once they hear from parents about how its wrong, and how they want to "recruit" into the gay lifestyle. By letting children know that there are all kinds of families, made up of mixed race, mixed and same sex parents you may just stop some bullying, and who knows a few wont grow up thinking thats its ok to gay bash, or that actually its ok to be gay. No one ois trying to take childhood away, they are just trying to make it more bearable for some!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I do feel sympathy for the parents.If some attempt had been made to co-ordinate with the local mosque and madrassa,then this might have been avoided.

Not sure I understand why that was necessary.
Please explain why the British National Curriculum doesn't apply in certain parts of the country.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here