Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Paul Scholes - that went well then

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Oh well. Having arsed it up at a League Two club for all of a month, now he can go back to sniding away at all the top level managers, passing us his sage opinion on all their mistakes from the safety and comfort of a Sky Sports studio.

Jobs a goodun.
Rather like a Mr G. Neville.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
31 days and with no inside knowledge of what happened yet lots on here convinced he's a failure. Little premature for a decision on his ability or otherwise...

Well, we already knew he was a quitter, because he retired himself from England at the ripe old age of 29 ("to spend more time with my family") - because, of course, footballers who finish training at about 12 all week barely see their kids, EVER.

Now he's also added managerial failure to his CV. If he'd breezed into BHA for a month, and then minced off again after a few duff results, I don't think my opinion of him would have been overly enhanced.

Great player, but he's now exposed as an over-opinionated ginger twatter who doesn't really have the bollocks to take on a proper job when things get a little bit tough. Back to the media though, nice easy paycheque, sniping away at people who can actually be arsed to try to do in the game what he clearly couldn't.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Well, we already knew he was a quitter, because he retired himself from England at the ripe old age of 29 ("to spend more time with my family") - because, of course, footballers who finish training at about 12 all week barely see their kids, EVER.

Now he's also added managerial failure to his CV. If he'd breezed into BHA for a month, and then minced off again after a few duff results, I don't think my opinion of him would have been overly enhanced.

Great player, but he's now exposed as an over-opinionated ginger twatter who doesn't really have the bollocks to take on a proper job when things get a little bit tough. Back to the media though, nice easy paycheque, sniping away at people who can actually be arsed to try to do in the game what he clearly couldn't.
Not really sure how he's got a media job. I've nothing against him, but he even makes Michael Owen seem charismatic and interesting in comparison.

Which should be beyond the realms of possibility. Or alchemy even.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really sure how he's got a media job. I've nothing against him, but he even makes Michael Owen seem charismatic and interesting in comparison.

Which should be beyond the realms of possibility. Or alchemy even.

Well, I'll tell you. Its because he was a great player, and part of the now-fabled "Class of 92" - which ALWAYS gives the execs at Sky Sports a permanent hard-on, being as it did so much to launch their new football channel back in the day. Does it matter that he can barely mumble three sentences together ? Nope. Does it matter that he can barely write his own name, much less a considered column with some intelligent and thought-provoking analysis ? Nope. Does it matter that he has all the projection and charisma of a stale Digestive biscuit ? Nope.

Its PAUL SCHOLES. Zinidine Zidane's all-time favourite player. The fact that he's no more than poked his furrowed head round a dressing room door for 5 minutes and still stuffed that up matters not. He quite clearly couldn't manage his way through a new year sale at Dunelm Mill, much less manage a football club. But he's qualified to give sermons on other football teams and other managers because....he's Paul Scholes. Serial quitter and bottle job.

I wouldn't listen to his opinion if he was speculating on whether it might rain tomorrow. Complete chancer, and a waste of airtime.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, but this is Nsc, where everyone's an expert on character.

Not really. Its NSC, where people can give opinions on character, based on track records. Scholes is a quitter. Great player in his day, but when it comes down to it, a quitter nonetheless, as he's proved again.

I have very little time for players who prematurely decide to hang up their boots for England. That may have come across, actually.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Scholes didn't need to take the job, he did it because he's been an Oldham fan all his life and wanted to put something back into the team he loves. He couldn't work with the club owner Abdallah Lemsagam, an agent who thought he knew more about the game than he did, and in the past had interfered with playing matters under managers who needed the pay cheque more than Scholes and so said nothing.

Similar owners of League Two clubs have done the same, Alan Hardy at Notts County used to swan around Meadow Lane in a tracksuit with his initials embossed on it, and thought the dressing room was worthy of his input, burning his way through managers and cash as if the apocalypse was upon us.

I've no idea if Paul Scholes is a good or bad manager, personally I don't think you can tell too much in a month*, but having met him once or twice he's a good guy.

As for his England career, best player of his generation, needed a manager to play him in central midfield, but the love in with media friendly Stevie Me and Frank Lampard meant he was stuck out wide too often where he wasn't suited to play and often contributed little.

*Appreciate many on NSC can judge a manager or player within 20 minutes and write them off as shit but I don't have that skillset

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Not really. Its NSC, where people can give opinions on character, based on track records. Scholes is a quitter. Great player in his day, but when it comes down to it, a quitter nonetheless, as he's proved again.

I have very little time for players who prematurely decide to hang up their boots for England. That may have come across, actually.

Biggest load of nonsense ever! Scholes retired from England because he was ****ed off with being played on the left wing for the majority of his caps while successive managers tried and failed to make the Gerrard Lampard partnership work. Whatever you think of Scholes he absolutely isn't a quitter. In fact, he came out of retirement to play another season for Utd if memory serves correct. It would appear, like most people, he wants to be treated with respect for the brilliant job he could do! Simply one of the most underrated players of the "Golden Generation."

I'll leave you with this anecdote from Cristiano Ronaldo "When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any players at the club could do. Once i was showing my skills to Scholes. After i finished it, Scholes took the ball and pointed to a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said, I'm going to hit it in one shot. He kicked and hit the tree. He asked me to do the same; I kicked about 10 times, but still couldn't hit it, with that Accuracy. He smiled and left."

and this one from Zidane "Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own. He's almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career. He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn't get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life terribly uncomfortable. He is the type of player you want on your side, not in opposition because he could do so much damage. He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he's so much natural ability."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Biggest load of nonsense ever! Scholes retired from England because he was ****ed off with being played on the left wing for the majority of his caps while successive managers tried and failed to make the Gerrard Lampard partnership work. Whatever you think of Scholes he absolutely isn't a quitter. In fact, he came out of retirement to play another season for Utd if memory serves correct. It would appear, like most people, he wants to be treated with respect for the brilliant job he could do! Simply one of the most underrated players of the "Golden Generation."

I'll leave you with this anecdote from Cristiano Ronaldo "When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any players at the club could do. Once i was showing my skills to Scholes. After i finished it, Scholes took the ball and pointed to a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said, I'm going to hit it in one shot. He kicked and hit the tree. He asked me to do the same; I kicked about 10 times, but still couldn't hit it, with that Accuracy. He smiled and left."

and this one from Zidane "Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own. He's almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career. He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn't get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life terribly uncomfortable. He is the type of player you want on your side, not in opposition because he could do so much damage. He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he's so much natural ability."

I'm not disputing for a second that he was a great player, and dedicated in his career to MUFC.

But he turned his back on England when he was still in his prime. Yes, a succession of England managers weirdly made the idiotic decision to play him out wide instead of his best position centrally, but thats still no reason to permanently bin off your country.

In my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here