Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Gym etiquette

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How much grunting is acceptable when doing weights?

Most people at my local gym seem to be pretty quiet on the grunting front, maybe making a little noise as they finish off a set they're struggling with, but there's one chap (with his PT in tow) who screams out a load monkey 'oo' after every rep, even when he's not on his heaviest set. It's ****ing annoying, I don't know how anyone else is supposed to concentrate on their workout while this ape is bellowing.

So is he just the in-focus man, and we should all be like that, or is their a limit to how much noise is acceptable?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good thread!

For me, the worst breach of gym etiquette is some millenial using a bit of apparatus as a bit of seating while they fanny around with some shitty thing on their phone.

Second worst thing for me is full training gear wankers trailing mud on their trainers straight from the walk from the car park into the gym. Total lack of awareness of how they're being wankers. Gym equivalent of picking up your kids from school in your PJs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I always have my headphones on for a workout, I find it helps me concentrate and block out the grunters. The most annoying thing for me is people who don't wipe down a bit of equipment after they've used it. We don't all want to sit in your left behind arse sweat thanks.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think the funniest thing I see EVERY TIME I go to the Gym (which isn't very often) is people driving around the Car Park to find a space closest to the gym, and then going into the gym and running, cycling, lifting and swimming for an hour or so

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Unfortunately people have their own 'system' when working out, so the grunter probably doesn't even realise they are doing it. What annoys me more is the people who drop the free weights down when finished.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Unfortunately people have their own 'system' when working out, so the grunter probably doesn't even realise they are doing it. What annoys me more is the people who drop the free weights down when finished.

This is exactly what I was about to say. It's especially annoying on the weight machines when they let go and the weights crash into each other.

I'm not quite so bothered about the grunting, but I'm sure some guys put on an extra grunt just to show that they're really pushing themselves.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not a fan of grunting and making too much noise in the gym. I can't stand the slam balls, they're really not worth the sound they make. There's a bloke in my gym, which is in my building at work, so everyone in there is a colleague - he has the worst treadmill running technique there's ever been (slap, slap, slap, slap, slap) and when he's piling into weights he has to let everyone know about it. Madness. He also likes to talk to you in the changing room, which is particularly small. I don't mind that so much, but he's also the sort who likes to get fully naked when changing and I think it's got to be one or the other. Walk around with your todger out, or be a chatter. Not both, on top of grunting when doing weights and slamming into the treadmill even when running at a slow pace...

I don't like to have my headphones on because it causes headaches, but sometimes you just have to take the lesser or two evils!

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Good thread!

For me, the worst breach of gym etiquette is some millenial using a bit of apparatus as a bit of seating while they fanny around with some shitty thing on their phone.

Second worst thing for me is full training gear wankers trailing mud on their trainers straight from the walk from the car park into the gym. Total lack of awareness of how they're being wankers. Gym equivalent of picking up your kids from school in your PJs.

FFS you must have read my mind old chap ....absolutely this

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I always have my headphones on for a workout, I find it helps me concentrate and block out the grunters. The most annoying thing for me is people who don't wipe down a bit of equipment after they've used it. We don't all want to sit in your left behind arse sweat thanks.

Fkin hell and absolutely that above... I blo*dy hate dirty ******** who leave their slime everywhere. You guys go to my gym or something

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And... another thing...

There's probably 150 lockers per sex per gym. 90% of said lockers might be unused at any given time. Yet STILL some twunt will actively seek out the locker right next to yours and plonk their stinky trainers - and worse - right in front of your locker. Sake! :rolleyes:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Whats a gym???

im-at-the-gym-gym-with-the-m-of-mcdonalds-rWzFI.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think the funniest thing I see EVERY TIME I go to the Gym (which isn't very often) is people driving around the Car Park to find a space closest to the gym, and then going into the gym and running, cycling, lifting and swimming for an hour or so

This is so they get less mud on their trainers.......

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014

This is one of my bug bares in general.

Why do gyms have car parks in the first place?

Everyone attending a gym should walk, jog or cycle there.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You know when you're like totally benching 350kg and then the guy spotting you cant even manage to because the weight is like SO heavy?

Yeah, that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here