Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bloody Sunday - Soldier to be prosecuted

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While I have every sympathy with the families of those killed it does seem to be one rule for the IRA and one for the British military. I thought the GFA effectively wiped the slate clean for both sides ?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
While I have every sympathy with the families of those killed it does seem to be one rule for the IRA and one for the British military. I thought the GFA effectively wiped the slate clean for both sides ?

Interesting point, but as we are seeing at the moment with the British border in Ireland the government seems to have selective amnesia about the GFA...

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

There isn't one rule for the IRA and different one for the military. There was no amnesty for crimes which had not been prosecuted.

People suspected of terrorism are still liable for prosecution. for example : There are still attempts to extradite John Downey so that he can be prosecuted for a double murder.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That is an absolute disgrace.

The disgrace is that the commander of the Paras and the establishment who both encouraged the shooting and then covered up what had happened are not being charged. This is one of the key milestones which set the tone of the next 20 years.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Don't usually get involved with threads such as this but feel it is worth noting that "....The PPS said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute 16 other soldiers and two Official IRA men.... so I assume that the investigations were pretty thorough.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
There is an old saying that in the case of ‘the troubles’ is very apt. Could relate to the backstop and Brexit, or equally to Bloody Sunday.

Let sleeping dogs lie (sp)

Touché

1775848.main_image.jpg WA559979.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Soldiers should certainly not be immune from prosecution. But it does feel odd when it seems no IRA members will ever be prosecuted for crimes at that time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Soldiers should certainly not be immune from prosecution. But it does feel odd when it seems no IRA members will ever be prosecuted for crimes at that time.

In this case there were 18 other suspects, 16 former soliders and 2 alleged IRA members. There isn't sufficient evidence to pursue those but they would have done had there been.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The disgrace is that the commander of the Paras and the establishment who both encouraged the shooting and then covered up what had happened are not being charged. This is one of the key milestones which set the tone of the next 20 years.

The disgrace is that we've been bending over backwards to accommodate/placate the Northern Irish (both sides) for decades, and now instead of telling them to do one we hand over a sacrificial scapegoat to satisfy their lust for revenge.
Yes, Bloody Sunday was dreadful, but that's the sort of thing that can happen when a mob turns violent in the presence of armed troops. Apologies have been made for the mistakes made on that day; time to let it rest.
Of course, if they'd care to tell us all who actually did plant the bombs that killed all those people innocently having a quiet drink in Birmingham..........................

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

That's not true.

There is currently an attempt to extradite John Downey so that he can stand trial for the murder of two British soldiers in 1972.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here