Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Disappointing for Dunk. With Gomez nailed on for a spot when fit I guess this currently drops Dunk down to 6th choice at best.

Maguire, Stones and Gomez have got the top three spots on lock down(for now) so the rest are scrambling for the fourth spot. I'd hoped that Dunk being a left sided centre half might have got him the nod particularly as there's not much between any of the rest.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Let's hope Lewis doesn't start thinking that he needs to be at a big(ger) club.... *gulp*

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As much as we all enjoyed seeing 'one of our own' in an England shirt, it's best for the Albion at the moment.

No distractions, likely to captain us in a game that could send us to only the 2nd ever Cup Semi-Final in our history, and keeps him hungry.

And there's every chance he'd join the squad with a defensive injury, just like last time.

Southgate knows what he can do. Plenty more opportunities to come.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not surprised re Dunk, but Tarskowski's presence is comedy stuff. He's not even the best defender at Burnley, let alone England quality :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surprised re Wan-Bissaka.

Though I can't help feeling his stats are highly misleading. Making the highest number of tackles in the Premier League is certainly not an indicator of defensive class. If it was, Van Dijk would be up there winning challenges left, right and centre.

The best defensive players don't need to make tackle after tackle, as their positioning and football intelligence means they're a step ahead of their opponents.

Wan Bissaka is, I daresay, a half decent player, but judging him on stats alone isn't the way to go. He's looked good in the televised games I've seen, but he was very ordinary in the two games he's played against us this season, IMHO. Nothing to write home about last weekend, and looked a nervous wreck at the Amex.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Surprised re Wan-Bissaka.

Though I can't help feeling his stats are highly misleading. Making the highest number of tackles in the Premier League is certainly not an indicator of defensive class. If it was, Van Dijk would be up there winning challenges left, right and centre.

The best defensive players don't need to make tackle after tackle, as their positioning and football intelligence means they're a step ahead of their opponents.

Wan Bissaka is, I daresay, a half decent player, but judging him on stats alone isn't the way to go. He's looked good in the televised games I've seen, but he was very ordinary in the two games he's played against us this season, IMHO. Nothing to write home about last weekend, and looked a nervous wreck at the Amex.

Oh that's done it. They'll be here in droves now bigging him up.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No Tomkins either !!!
What sort of England manager doesn't pick him !!!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I know, but appearing in the shortlist for Albion Player Of The Year soon should cheer him up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Where's James Maddison? Demarai Gray must be disappointed too, so few good attacking options in this squad so we're heavily reliant on the first choice front three - Kane, Sterling and Sancho. Rashford will be rotating in as well and maybe Wilson if we're behind in any of the games. Rice and Dier are the same person, Loftus-Cheek barely gets a kick with Chelsea so shouldn't be near the England squad. Defensively, we're strong at full back all of a sudden, especially left back.

Wan-Bissaka is a plodder, only hyped because of his age. He's no better than Montoya and shouldn't be near an England squad barring an injury crisis.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
As much as we all enjoyed seeing 'one of our own' in an England shirt, it's best for the Albion at the moment.

No distractions, likely to captain us in a game that could send us to only the 2nd ever Cup Semi-Final in our history, and keeps him hungry.

And there's every chance he'd join the squad with a defensive injury, just like last time.

Southgate knows what he can do. Plenty more opportunities to come.

Feel for Dunky. He's 27 and that's not young to be trying to break through. Tarkowski is a year younger.

Play him at the 'wall though: I think we'll outplay them but we may just need all the leaders we can get to earn that right early on.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think a lot of ''Brighton Goggles'' here

Lewis is an absolutely superb defender. He got his last call up due to an injury so he would have been seen first hand by Southgate during the last International Break. It was up to Dunky to go in there and make a slot his own but the opposition he played against did not test the defence enough so there was no way that he got the opportunity to make a slot in the squad his own.

Those are the facts so Lewis might just have to bide his time until someone in the squad really falls out of favour.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Bit of a joke really. Tarkowski in, Dunk out? WTF?

Dunk has been a bit of a shambles until the last game. Haven’t seen any burnley games except against us and Liverpool. He was far better than dunk in the game v us, but against Liverpool he was all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dunk has been a bit of a shambles until the last game. Haven’t seen any burnley games except against us and Liverpool. He was far better than dunk in the game v us, but against Liverpool he was all over the place.

Horses for courses then? I wouldn't mind if Dunky had put a foot wrong for England, but he didn't.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Horses for courses then? I wouldn't mind if Dunky had put a foot wrong for England, but he didn't.

How can you when the opponent gets into the box once in 90 minutes ? Anyway irrelevant argument as Gomez will take his spot. And keane plays for a bigger team.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Once again the squad is full of players who have hardly kicked a ball in the last month:

Delph - 18 mins
Stones - 47 mins
Alli - 82 mins
Loftus-Cheek - 132 mins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here