Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson. Did he really just say that?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She f##### up with Saville, but so did the NHS and the BBC.

My point was that EVEN Thatcher would have got the nuance that he was popular with the membership but toxic longer term. The Tory party is in such a sorry state that it can't even nullify Johnson.

And Morrison, who was absolutely protected by Thatcher? She also had a soft spot for handsome, middle-aged men, who were promoted beyond their abilities. Look at Parkinson, an absolute bounder, and John Moore, who was rushed into the cabinet and displayed Grayling-like skills.

But I do agree with your central point. She preferred self-made, grammar school types around her. I think Hurd was the only old Etonian she appointed to her cabinet (there certainly weren't many), I doubt whether Johnson would have made it to junior minister.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Nobody can defend Bojo. He seems incapable of making a coherent point these days.

Had he questioned prioritisation of police resources in a sensible way, few would have an issue with that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"must of"
"wether"

When trying to point score it's always worth writing intelligently. It adds a lot more weight to your opinion IMO.

I had swerved that abomination by having the poster on ignore and now you cut and paste it? You are a cruel, cruel man.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Surprised not to see his latest gaffe not been picked up on here unless I've missed it:

From The Standard:

"Boris Johnson has faced widespread ridicule after he proudly tweeted he had voted Conservative in local elections on Thursday.

However London, where the Uxbridge & South Ruislip MP lives, did not hold local elections.

"I just voted Conservative in the local elections. Make sure you do too! You’ve got two hours left to get out and vote!", the tweet read."

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Surprised not to see his latest gaffe not been picked up on here unless I've missed it:

From The Standard:

"Boris Johnson*has faced widespread ridicule after he proudly tweeted he had voted Conservative in*local elections*on Thursday.

However London, where the Uxbridge & South Ruislip*MP lives, did not hold local elections.

"I just voted Conservative in the local elections. Make sure you do too! You’ve got two hours left to get out and vote!", the tweet read."

You're not trying to suggest that Boris is a fantasist, are you? Because if you're not, I will.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's almost unfathomable how much of a cretinous oaf that lumpy pillock really is.

No, what's unfathomable is that he's the popular choice as leader among Tory members.

I'm at a loss to explain why. He's a congenital liar, he made a series of disastrous spending decisions as London mayor, was a disaster as foreign secretary and yet is popular choice as leader. I wish someone could explain that

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No, what's unfathomable is that he's the popular choice as leader among Tory members.

I'm at a loss to explain why. He's a congenital liar, he made a series of disastrous spending decisions as London mayor, was a disaster as foreign secretary and yet is popular choice as leader. I wish someone could explain that

That's led me on a bit of a rabbit hole and, putting my amateur psychology hat on, I reckon it's something to do with anchoring bias:

Anchoring Bias and Gasoline
Under President George W. Bush's second and Barack Obama's first terms, we observed similar trends in gas price-per-gallon. Beginning around $1.85 per gallon, prices began to climb.

Consumers had grown accustomed to low gas prices and anchored mentally at the sub-$2-per-gallon rates. As prices crept toward $3-per-gallon, consumer sentiment was mostly negative.

When prices settled above the $3 threshold, consumers reset their psychological anchors. As prices declined toward $2.50 per gallon, consumer sentiment was largely positive.

So, is it possible that Conservative voters have anchored Boris in their mind as a bit of a charming, if eccentric, dope but ultimately harmless. Other Conservatives have then gone and been utterly shit at delivering some form of Brexit causing them to reset their bias at which point Boris emerges as some sort of True Blue Paragon?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's led me on a bit of a rabbit hole and, putting my amateur psychology hat on, I reckon it's something to do with anchoring bias:

Anchoring Bias and Gasoline
Under President George W. Bush's second and Barack Obama's first terms, we observed similar trends in gas price-per-gallon. Beginning around $1.85 per gallon, prices began to climb.

Consumers had grown accustomed to low gas prices and anchored mentally at the sub-$2-per-gallon rates. As prices crept toward $3-per-gallon, consumer sentiment was mostly negative.

When prices settled above the $3 threshold, consumers reset their psychological anchors. As prices declined toward $2.50 per gallon, consumer sentiment was largely positive.

So, is it possible that Conservative voters have anchored Boris in their mind as a bit of a charming, if eccentric, dope but ultimately harmless. Other Conservatives have then gone and been utterly shit at delivering some form of Brexit causing them to reset their bias at which point Boris emerges as some sort of True Blue Paragon?

With respect, what on EARTH are you banging on about? :lolol:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
With respect, what on earth are you banging on about? :lolol:

I wish I knew, I really do.

I think what I'm trying to say is that Boris is actually very cunning and generally will have his finger close to, or bang on, the pulse of the average Tory meaning he always comes out in the discussions around potential leadership candidates.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I think you answered your own question there - we're talking about the Tories after all!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

It is not surprising he stands out, when the rest of the field are midgets and pygmies.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Tories are facing electoral threats from populist leaders offering simple solutions (Corbyn, Farage), electing their own populist (Boris) may be their only chance of survival.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here