Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2019 Thread

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thanks for that, just popped in to Burgess Hill Lidl on the way home and got myself a ball and snack helmet, although I'm not sure the mrs is as impressed as I am.

Excellent! Mrs FP was over the moon that weve finally got one! We were like little kids last night sticking the logos on it :lolol: They usually cost stupid money, but couldn't leave it there for that price. Did you go for blue or silver?
I was tempted by another football tbh....but as we have about 10 of various sizes at home anyway, I thought I'd better not!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excellent! Mrs FP was over the moon that weve finally got one! We were like little kids last night sticking the logos on it :lolol: They usually cost stupid money, but couldn't leave it there for that price. Did you go for blue or silver?
I was tempted by another football tbh....but as we have about 10 of various sizes at home anyway, I thought I'd better not!
I'd rather wear a snack helmet than a bobble hat.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

I went for the silver one and somewhat stupidly only stuck on the stickers of teams I've seen play live, so only 7 stickers so far. Which means I've basically set myself the task of going to watch more games.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I went for the silver one and somewhat stupidly only stuck on the stickers of teams I've seen play live, so only 7 stickers so far. Which means I've basically set myself the task of going to watch more games.

We could only fit about 10 on either side (AFC & NFC separate) so the kids have got the others for their wardrobe doors etc...good idea though to do the teams you've seen! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For reasons I can quite fathom, over the last few weeks, the only thing I've 'promoted' on NSC is The Rewatchables podcast.

It's now weedles it's way in again.

This clip is very good, but probably not good enough for the extra plug, that is until you get to the cut away.

[tweet]1220798927659851776[/tweet]

The clip of Stu Feiner (no me neither) is quite remarkable.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Do they have the Super Bowl boxes in the UK? There's an Irish bar in Brooklyn where the buy in is $5,000 a box - and with 100 boxes that's a kitty of 500,000. There no skill involved just pure chance and prizes are awarded on the scores after each quarter - a little too rich for me.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure who I want. I don't think I want Marvin Lewis or Mike McCarthy. For me that's a bit like a struggling PL team employing Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes: experienced, yes, but surely their best days are behind them. I think I'd prefer a 'Potter' character, i.e.a younger, more innovative figure. For some reason I keep coming back to Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski. I know he's been mentioned as a possibility, and I like the sound of him, but maybe I've just been swayed by that performance against the Saints.

For GM ...... Andrew Berry of the Eagles; I think he's president of football operations there. Again I've heard his name mentioned and he sounds good. (Probably too good and thus won't want to come).

EDIT: Maybe both are too young. Maybe we do need a steady hand on the tiller for a season or two whilst we pursue mediocrity. As you say our lot need a lot of controlling.

Oh I don't know.

Blimey, I got both those calls right.So it'll all be my fault next season!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Anyone going down to the Walkabout in Brighton for the Big Show on Sunday night? Me, the missus, and 5 mates have a booth booked, as has become tradition, so really looking forward to it. All 7 of us support different teams too - so no doubt we will all be representing them in our jerseys....cant wait :cool:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I expect the players union to reject it - some high profile players coming out in opposition.

The players union just needs a straight up majority.
There are considerably more players trying to make a living in 3.5 seasons, than there are high profile multi multi millionaires.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
There are considerably more players trying to make a living in 3.5 seasons, than there are high profile multi multi millionaires.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Do you think they may increase the rosta's to. Managing injury's and rotation of players may be key (could make fantasy teams bit more complex. I assume the season would start earlier as well, I am sure they will not mess with the Superbowl date.

I always though this move was about playing those extra games around the world, so lots more international games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you think they may increase the rosta's to. Managing injury's and rotation of players may be key (could make fantasy teams bit more complex. I assume the season would start earlier as well, I am sure they will not mess with the Superbowl date.

I always though this move was about playing those extra games around the world, so lots more international games.
If the owners really want it, up to 18 games they still have plenty of leeway to push it through.

I can see them offering and increase in games but a cap on games played, say at 14.
As well as doing away with preseason friendlies.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
First it has to get a 2/3 majority at the NFLPA Executive

True - but the deal reduces pre-season friendlies where those on the roster bubble need to play - swings and roundabouts

I wouldn't be so sure.
This will predominantly come down to player safety - most games mean more potential for injury.

The proposal includes adding one extra OLman to the roster - the OL predominately remains unchanged throughout the season (they are the players who play nearly every snap if they are not injured) - and this move is more to protect the QB than anything else (a QB can get killed if the OL loses 2-3 players to injury)

That is certainly an aspect - although from the owner's perspective it is primarily about trying to generate more TV money - the estimate is that over the 10 years it could generate in excess of $10billion in TV money (it would be work in excess of $150-$200million to each team).

If the owners really want it, up to 18 games they still have plenty of leeway to push it through.
They want 17 games - teams currently play 16 games and a by-week which gives 17 regular season weeks.

I can see them offering and increase in games but a cap on games played, say at 14.
Not going to happen - imaging the Chiefs having to sit Mahomes for 3 games every season

IAs well as doing away with preseason friendlies.
Teams need pre-season friendlies to help them build their rosters - often 20 spots can be determined by performance in the pre-season friendlies. Anyway - the proposal are reducing it from 4 to 3 and the one that will be scrapped is the one where the starters don't play - from the perspective of the players on the roster they will end up playing an extra game. An extra game in the NFL is massive in terms of the impact it has on players - and coupled with that two extra teams will also have to play an extra game in the play-offs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was under the impression the players deals are just a majority whereas all owners have to reach a % over 50.

The bottom line is the owners want/need an 18 week season and they need to go global.

They'll pretty much offer up anything and any amount of stepping stones to get there.

The one thing they can't have is a player walkout.

I have every confidence they'll get what they want and the average back up offensive lineman will think all his Christmas' have come at once.

If it were only about safety who's to say 16 games is safe but 18 is dangerous.
If player safety were the be all and end all they wouldn't play the game, everything else is just symantics.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If it were only about safety who's to say 16 games is safe but 18 is dangerous.
Just to repeat again - its 17 games over 18 weeks - playing the extra game results in more chance of injury and more injuries and more pounding that can lead to an increased risk of CTE.

If player safety were the be all and end all they wouldn't play the game, everything else is just symantics.
A valid point - for the vast majority of players, football is their way out of poverty. However, the owners knew about the health consequences of playing in the NFL, they suppressed the findings of Bennet Omalu for years. In fact it took them 14 years before they publicly acknowledged the link between American football and CTE in 2016 - something that has led to several footballers retiring at the height of their careers, and several others deciding to abandon any NFL career before it even gets started. It is taken much more seriously by everyone now - and will be a key factor in the acceptance or rejection of the CBA by the players

PersianNYer15

Jul 25, 2018
New York/New Jersey
About time they added 2 more teams to the play offs. There’s always that one or sometimes even two teams that deserve a play off spot and miss out. Not to mention the amount of 9-10 win teams that have won Super Bowls in the last decade.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
About time they added 2 more teams to the play offs. There’s always that one or sometimes even two teams that deserve a play off spot and miss out. Not to mention the amount of 9-10 win teams that have won Super Bowls in the last decade.

Again - nothing really to do with being fair - everything to do with getting more money for the owners out of TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here