Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Oh dear VAR with French officials

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What a mess in the Citeh game.

On a side note the close ups of the pitch, it looks awful, very patchy and long grass

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
To be honest, I've done a full about turn on this. I wanted VAR to correct those terrible injustices but (and I concede that some on here predicted this) it's slowly strangling the game and moments like AK's goal on Saturday or Andone's against Huddersfield will never be able to be celebrated in quite the same way again as we hold off letting rip until VAR has had it's say. And those moments are what we remember for years to come. It's way too late now though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"VAR - wrecking English Premier League games since 2019/2020." :(

I was watching MoTD a few weeks ago and Harry Kane scored a goal from a free kick that, on frame-by-frame TV analysis, determined his left knee cap was fractionally off-side for possibly a nano-second. Obviously, this gained no advantage, but next season that would be ruled out by VAR, after a prolonged delay. And this will be repeated in every match again and again and again until we all get bored of the whole farce.

Just leave it as it is.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’m not a huge fan of Danny Baker but he was spot on recently when he said that VAR will kill the game.
I think that’s what ‘they’ want though, sanitise everything, ‘they’ killed pubs now move onto the footie.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless they can make a decision in a few second, like 3-5, then VAR doesnt work. i.e. if it can correct an obvious incorrect decision with quick recheck. going for full bore video review like Rugby or Cricket kills the game, both the flow and the spectacle.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I’m not a huge fan of Danny Baker but he was spot on recently when he said that VAR will kill the game.
I think that’s what ‘they’ want though, sanitise everything, ‘they’ killed pubs now move onto the footie.

What’s the point of going to your local, if it still exists, on a Saturday evening and arguing about the controversial points of a game when VAR has been used? The final nail, first driven into the coffin of football, by Sky and their multi angle replays. What are we supposed to talk about now, baking?

As far as I can see, the only true beneficiaries of VAR are the bookies.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It's the main and only reason I'd consider getting rid of my season ticket. What's the point if the celebrations are muted and you've less of an idea what's going on than those watching the box.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My main concern on VAR is that it works against the attacking team too often. As an attacker runs onto a through ball from an onside position, but linesman flags as offside, defending team get a free kick and attack is stopped. However no VAR, unless the attacker had continued and scored.

Does this mean that linesman will no longer flag for offside in case they are wrong, or do the defending team gain more than the attacking team under VAR

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
unless they can make a decision in a few second, like 3-5, then VAR doesnt work. i.e. if it can correct an obvious incorrect decision with quick recheck. going for full bore video review like Rugby or Cricket kills the game, both the flow and the spectacle.

That should be it really, shouldn't it? They keep talking about it being brought in to stop the big errors. Surely the big errors are ones that can be spotted easily from a single replay. If you need to see nine different angles at various speeds, along with the assistance of computer generated on-screen graphics to be able to decide whether the correct decision has been made, sure the decision is contentious enough, narrow enough to say 'go with whatever the ref's instincts were, if TV coverage later shows it was wrong, when they have used the above technological examples, so be it'.

I think most people accept errors that are really tight to call, or that can go either way. It's the injustices that are obvious that sting and need to be eliminated.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It should work for the smaller teams against the bias of the big 4/6

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It will definitely kill Wilf Zahas game.

It will kill part of his game, yes. Quite a big part of his game. But even I am not too blinkered to grudingly admit that he has natural talent in abundance and the rare ability to get spectators out of their seats when he chooses to stay on his feet. That goal he scored against Burnley the other week when he sat two defenders down then nutmegged the keeper was a glimpse of what he can do. A shame that he chooses to hit the deck so often. In a better team with better coaching he would start making better decisions. At Palace he will only ever be a fraction of the player he could be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK, so they aren't doing it properly. FIFA? World cup in Qatar? Who knew?

But like speed limits and seatbelts and giving the vote to women, VAR is the future.

That's it really. :shrug:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Even the ref looked embarrassed. Took so long it killed the atmosphere. We don't score a lot so imagine having to wait 3 mins everytime before a goal is confirmed !!! Enough time to nip out for a pie!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That should be it really, shouldn't it? They keep talking about it being brought in to stop the big errors. Surely the big errors are ones that can be spotted easily from a single replay. If you need to see nine different angles at various speeds, along with the assistance of computer generated on-screen graphics to be able to decide whether the correct decision has been made, sure the decision is contentious enough, narrow enough to say 'go with whatever the ref's instincts were, if TV coverage later shows it was wrong, when they have used the above technological examples, so be it'.

I think most people accept errors that are really tight to call, or that can go either way. It's the injustices that are obvious that sting and need to be eliminated.

Spot on.

But we KNEW this would happen. Once you bring in technology, it will be used to review EVERY big decision, no matter how marginal, because the stakes in football are so high now. Forget "clear and obvious errors" - its gonna be used to review a hell of a lot more than that, so we'd better get used to putting goal celebrations on hold for starters.

I switched off the City game at half time. You had 2 goal reviews AND a penalty review, all of which took cuffing ages. The whole stadium was booing. At least at home we get to see what it is they're looking at - the punters in the ground who have paid to go along to the game are just left in limbo for 2-3 minutes at a time while the ref stands there with his finger in his ear. Its appalling.

Its going to fundamentally change how we watch the game next season, and not for the better IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here