Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What happens if the EU tells us Brexit on the date agreed or forget it...........

They'll be an amendment. We like those. There have been 43 alone in the past hour. Propose one yourself and see how you get on. Not even sure you have to be an MP at the moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's an absolute bloody disgrace. The views of 17M+ doesn't matter to them. They are wrecking Brexit in front of our eyes.

There are 66m in the United Kingdom. 33.6m people voted in the referendum. Parliament governs for all of us, not just those that voted for a particular decision, mp, or party.

Part of the reason we are in this mess if because they have focussed far too much on 17m rather than delivering the decision of the referendum that serves 66m.

The main wreckers of Brexit are; 1. The Government, 2. the ERG, 3. the DUP.

Following the 2017 General Election, the Tory party should have realised that 16.3m people voted for other parties that either favoured a soft Brexit or to remain in the EU from their manifestos, and only 13.9m voted for the Tory / DUP manifesto pledges of a hard Brexit.

It would seem that from any measure, whether the referendum result itself, the subsequent general election, that a softer approach should have been pursued and cross part support obtained.

The bloody disgrace without a shadow of a doubt lies with the government and the PM.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There are 66m in the United Kingdom. 33.6m people voted in the referendum. Parliament governs for all of us, not just those that voted for a particular decision, mp, or party.

Part of the reason we are in this mess if because they have focussed far too much on 17m rather than delivering the decision of the referendum that serves 66m.

Following the 2017 General Election, the Tory party should have realised that 16.3m people voted for other parties that either favoured a soft Brexit or to remain in the EU from their manifestos, and only 13.9m voted for the Tory / DUP manifesto pledges of a hard Brexit.

It would seem that from any measure, whether the referendum result itself, the subsequent general election, that a softer approach should have been pursued and cross part support obtained.

The bloody disgrace without a shadow of a doubt lies with the government and the PM.
Stop polluting the discussion with FACTS. Nobody CARES about those ANYMORE.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
That’s a very valid point. I remember a friend of mine saying he knew exactly what he’d voted for when I’d questioned what the leave campaign were actually promising us. I suggested he let Boris know what it was, as he (Boris) clearly didn’t have a clue.

To this day, I’ve never had an answer as to what it was he knew he was voting for, either! :shrug:
😊 I imagine Boris was voting for his own lies, the world as he wanted it to be, rather forgetting that some serious negotiations might be involved

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So here we are. Our fate in the hands of the EU 27. Let's hope Spain doesn't piss about with Gibraltar and Tusk gets the 27 to agree to the extension in a week's time.

Beyond that, Parliament has already voted down leaving with No Deal, voted down May's Withdrawal Agreement and voted down a Second Referendum. It's also voted down a no confidence vote in May's government and she herself won a Tory leadership confidence vote.

Where the f*ck this leaves us is anyone's guess. We have political paralysis. I've never known anything like this in my 50 years, it's beyond comprehension that it could have gone this badly wrong, it's a bloody disgrace and a f*cking mess.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I really doubt Labour etc would have joined a cross party approach to Brexit and even if they had, probably would have just played out as the same broken record, bickering, resignations and tantrums. It's being held up as a major mistake by May but really, none of them would have reached an agreement. All believe they're right and are self-serving. Nope, I'm convinced it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Only when the clocks run out are people forced into making decisions and even then we're asking for extra time.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

37% voted to Leave
63% either voted to remain or didn't vote at all

Democracy, lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Where the f*ck this leaves us is anyone's guess. We have political paralysis. I've never known anything like this in my 50 years, it's beyond comprehension that it could have gone this badly wrong, it's a bloody disgrace and a f*cking mess.

It was predictable the moment the general election vote came in and May tired to buy the DUP with a chest full of cash.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So here we are. Our fate in the hands of the EU 27. Let's hope Spain doesn't piss about with Gibraltar and Tusk gets the 27 to agree to the extension in a week's time.

Beyond that, Parliament has already voted down leaving with No Deal, voted down May's Withdrawal Agreement and voted down a Second Referendum. It's also voted down a no confidence vote in May's government and she herself won a Tory leadership confidence vote.

Maybe rather than acting like spoilt children they can now actually sit down like grown ups and sort a deal out that pleases the majority. ( All sides that is )

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s all been a circus to remain, they probably planned the whole thing. For me what gave it away was when May didn’t pop along and see the queen after being humiliated the first time. I suppose the remainers must be happy with corruption running the country.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can someone please spare a thought for poor old @Bakerlite, he really thought he was " On his Way " so it must be very painful for him at the moment.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
[emoji4] I imagine Boris was voting for his own lies, the world as he wanted it to be, rather forgetting that some serious negotiations might be involved
Boris was doing what Boris does. Promoting himself and trying to undermine other people.

He was a staunch remainer. Wrote articles about how we shouldn't leave.

Then he saw the swing to Leave and saw his opportunity to screw Cameron by getting behind the campaign. He never thought Leave would win. He wanted a close win for Remain and would have then been in prime position to call Cameron weak for calling the referendum and only scraping through. Heralding his leadership challenge which he would have won, because of all the euro sceptics in the party who would have been livid with Cameron for backing Remain.

It's so simple and it's backed up by his own words before he jumped ship, the timing of his about turn and the look on his terrified face at the press conference after the result, when he clearly realised he'd ****ed it all up.

What a complete and utter **** he is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why don’t we just go no deal? The EU won’t want that, they have made life difficult for us.

The EU negotiated with May and her ministers and agreed a deal. They haven't changed anything. Britain invoked A50, put forward our deal and keep moving the goalposts.

How on earth anyone can say the EU have made life difficult for us, is totally beyond my comprehension. This is all self inflicted.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Corbyn doesn't know what he's doing.

[tweet]1106260553775964160[/tweet]

He knows exactly what he’s doing, even if Labour has voted for a second referendum instead of abstaining, it would have failed, its simple mathematics.
There will be another vote in the future for a second referendum, with more chance of winning.
Patience, people.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The EU negotiated with May and her ministers and agreed a deal. They haven't changed anything. Britain invoked A50, put forward our deal and keep moving the goalposts.

How on earth anyone can say the EU have made life difficult for us, is totally beyond my comprehension. This is all self inflicted.

Hang on a second...you seriously think the EU have absolutely been whiter than white in this entire saga?!! That's about THE most stupid thing I've heard if so and there have been some contenders. Of course the EU have made life difficult, it's in their interests and power to do so after all.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really doubt Labour etc would have joined a cross party approach to Brexit and even if they had, probably would have just played out as the same broken record, bickering, resignations and tantrums. It's being held up as a major mistake by May but really, none of them would have reached an agreement. All believe they're right and are self-serving. Nope, I'm convinced it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Only when the clocks run out are people forced into making decisions and even then we're asking for extra time.

May seeking cross party support would have split the Conservatives, would have fractured the government and weakened them. It would however have strengthened Brexit, because Labour would be forced to the table through the opportunity of power that would have represented. The referendum split both main parties, the party in government had more to lose, but to have properly enacted Brexit, that had to happen.

Brexit would have been fairly simple under a government with a large majority. As a country, we are simply not used to governance with such a slender majority. We think it is a betrayal of Brexit, or whatever else, but actually it is simply a leader whose blinkered approach couldn't accept she had a majority to get this through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here