Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Marmite

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
does Marmite ever go off?

Had some on toast the other day and as I was thinking how good it tasted I noticed the jar said 'best before June 2018'

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Had some on toast the other day and as I was thinking how good it tasted I noticed the jar said 'best before June 2018'

RIP. Symptoms will begin to show after 2 to 3 days.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think I got the most 'dislikes' ever when I suggested that Vegemite was superior.

I stand by what I said. Ner.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Both wife and I prefer Tesco Yeast Extract. We tried it once when our local store had an empty shelf where the Marmite should be and preferred it so have stuck with it.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Assuming it has no mold then it's fine I have never looked at the date on marmite but the large jars I purchased of marmite probably five years ago both jars were reduced in price hence we purchased two we are now on the second jar and having just checked I have to say prompted by this thread I note it went out of date in 2015 and as of yet it's still fine, I can recall as a child in the 1960s whilst visiting my grandma she had some tinned fish that we ate for tea that had a date of the 1938 I cannot remember if that was when it was tinned or a best before date if in fact such a thing existed at that time, I do think we do pay a little to much attention to stated dates and not enough attention to our own sence of smell, sight and taste

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Assuming it has no mold then it's fine I have never looked at the date on marmite but the large jars I purchased of marmite probably five years ago both jars were reduced in price hence we purchased two we are now on the second jar and having just checked I have to say prompted by this thread I note it went out of date in 2015 and as of yet it's still fine, I can recall as a child in the 1960s whilst visiting my grandma she had some tinned fish that we ate for tea that had a date of the 1938 I cannot remember if that was when it was tinned or a best before date if in fact such a thing existed at that time, I do think we do pay a little to much attention to stated dates and not enough attention to our own sence of smell, sight and taste

Apparently in the olden days long before the best before dates were introduced, they used to throw a can of food on the ground to test it, and if it didn't explode it is safe to eat. Did your grandma do this first?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here