Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reading - financial mess

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just happened to see Reading's most recently published accounts. For 2017-18, turnover was down from £36.7 million to £17.9 (drop of £18.8m). But in the same period salaries went UP £6.6m to £35.3m.

This all gave a loss before tax of £21million (profit of £4.7m 2016-17). The key salaries to turnover ratio is now, err, 197 per cent (compared to 76 per cent the year before). And they aren't by any means 'going for it' in the transfer market.

Presumably this was the first year the last of their Premier League parachute payments ran out. Debts now up to £34.7m under the Chinese owners.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Those look particularly GRIM figures.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] ?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I wonder how much of that was Super Sammy Baldock?

Remember various quoting c£5m all in with clauses, plus wages.

Now not even getting on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how much of that was Super Sammy Baldock?

Remember various quoting c£5m all in with clauses, plus wages.

Now not even getting on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he injured?

el punal

Just happened to see Reading's most recently published accounts. For 2017-18, turnover was down from £36.7 million to £17.9 (drop of £18.8m). But in the same period salaries went UP £6.6m to £35.3m.

This all gave a loss before tax of £21million (profit of £4.7m 2016-17). The key salaries to turnover ratio is now, err, 197 per cent (compared to 76 per cent the year before). And they aren't by any means 'going for it' in the transfer market.

Presumably this was the first year the last of their Premier League parachute payments ran out. Debts now up to £34.7m under the Chinese owners.

Chinese owners? I thought they were Thai - unless it’s all changed again. Remember the chairman’s missus coming up with that grand club anthem “For the Glory Of Reading”. :sick:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd be interested to know whether BG thinks Liam Moore is better than Davinson Sanchez.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd be interested to know whether BG thinks Liam Moore is better than Davinson Sanchez.

I'm more interested to know whether BG still thinks Lewis Dunk is only slightly better than Liam Moore.
Like he did 7 months ago.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Those look particularly GRIM figures.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] ?

Read it and REAP. Despite the benefits of parachute payments and PL membership for 7 out of the last 10 seasons, they appear to have totally messed things up in 2017/18. Income more than halved and the wage bill increased by 27% as the relatively new owners took a three wise monkeys approach to FFP and gambled all on getting promotion, finishing a mere 18 places below their target, losing £750k a week as a result.

Paying £197 in wages for every £100 of income is not a wise business strategy.

Reading Income Wages and EBIT 2009-.png

Reading Wage Control 2009-.png

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Going with my next door neighbour to watch Reading v Leeds tonight. I have no feelings for Reading, so it will be a nice relaxing game of football for me to watch after the stress and relief and unbridled joy of Saturday. I will ask him if he knows what's going on.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Good. Hope they go into meltdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here