Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] How to Stop opponents scoring from free kicks

bigE

Dec 8, 2009
:ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:What with lightweight football boots and lighter balls it seems scoring from a direct free kick outside the penalty box is becoming easier,so why wouldn't the defending team place a defender or two ( one either side of the goalkeeper)on the goal line to counteract the curling shots into the corners.I know this takes away the offside possibilities but it would be more like a corner, other than that I can't see too many drawbacks only pluses.
What are NSC readers thoughts.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
:ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:What with lightweight football boots and lighter balls it seems scoring from a direct free kick outside the penalty box is becoming easier,so why wouldn't the defending team place a defender or two ( one either side of the goalkeeper)on the goal line to counteract the curling shots into the corners.I know this takes away the offside possibilities but it would be more like a corner, other than that I can't see too many drawbacks only pluses.

No.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A friend of mine is convinced that the wall is the problem, it un-sights the goalkeeper and gives the taker a 'target' to aim for.

He thinks that if defenders just marked the attackers it would be harder for the taker to get a clear shot on goal, but no coach is going to be brave enough to try it.

Here is an example....
Snip.PNG

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The single cast-iron way to avoid conceding from free kicks, is to not commit any fouls in shooting positions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A friend of mine is convinced that the wall is the problem, it un-sights the goalkeeper and gives the taker a 'target' to aim for.

He thinks that if defenders just marked the attackers it would be harder for the taker to get a clear shot on goal, but no coach is going to be brave enough to try it.

he has quite the obsession there.
seems to miss the point - the wall blocks ~40% of the goal, the keeper covers another ~50%. leave ~10% for a really good free-kicker taker to target. and most times they miss. and often when they do score its because the keeper gets their position wrong and tries to hedge to cover the top corner above/behind the wall, leaving their top corner wide open. fact is keeper cannot cover all the goal, marking players would just leave loads of options for the freekick taker.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Here is an example....
View attachment 105641

Edge of the box it becomes like a slightly harder penalty, imagine if the penalty spot is pushed back, I still think at least a third would be scored.

How about two walls, one for each side of the goal and keeper stays in the middle?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This could become quite a pertinent thread when Southampton visit shortly, we all know how accurate James Ward-Prowse is from dead ball situations anywhere near opponents goal areas.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

You almost answered your own question.

The reason they don't do it is because. It impedes your own keepers ability to come for the ball. The opposition then only need to put a man or two on top of the keeper and he is boxed in on his line. He can't come for the cross and if an opponent wins the ball it would hamper any dive the keeper could make to the left or to the right if they had men on top of him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This could become quite a pertinent thread when Southampton visit shortly, we all know how accurate James Ward-Prowse is from dead ball situations anywhere near opponents goal areas.

Do we, My mate who is a Saints fan, commented much luck Knockers goal this weekend, 'He's been trying to do that for about 3 years'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wall or no wall.

I can't imagine coaches haven't tried the no wall option in training, and found that it's a bad idea.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Here is an example....
View attachment 105641

I'm doing some detectoring from the partially redacted twitter feed - is his name Dan Cooper perchance?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Here is an example....
View attachment 105641

It's logical until you realise that the attacking team will then just place a wall of their own right in front of the keeper for that very reason.

In terms of the OP's question, he's answered it already. The defending team would be outnumbered and it would make playing around the defence easier. Plus, is it actually proven that there are more free kicks being scored now?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It's logical until you realise that the attacking team will then just place a wall of their own right in front of the keeper for that very reason.

And he would say you have now proved his argument, if the attacking team thought there is benefit from blocking the keepers sight, why do the defending team help the attacking team by doing it for them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here