Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] How to Stop opponents scoring from free kicks

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
1) Re stationing men on the posts. It's a bad idea. Keeper needs the space to get across his goal
2) Do you need a wall - I think sometimes yes and sometimes no.

No when .....

The free kick is wide and there's little chance of a shot (it's a waste of a player, get him up the pitch)
The free kick is central and 25 yards out or more (Let them have a go from here, if it's in the middle of the goal, the keeper would stop anything the wall would stop, if it's in the corner, the wall wouldn't stop it anyway)

Yes when -

It's around the D (A centrally placed piledriver is too difficult to stop at this range)
It's an indirect free kick inside the area. How I hanker for the days, when these were commonplace

D

Deleted member 2719

The single cast-iron way to avoid conceding from free kicks, is to not commit any fouls in shooting positions.

That's all very well but with Zahas and The Complete and Utter Shyster around it could make your cast iron into lead.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A friend of mine is convinced that the wall is the problem, it un-sights the goalkeeper and gives the taker a 'target' to aim for.

He thinks that if defenders just marked the attackers it would be harder for the taker to get a clear shot on goal, but no coach is going to be brave enough to try it.

Here is an example....
View attachment 105641

There's more free kicks hit the wall or are hit wide or over the bar because of the wall, than actually hit the back of the net.

You give a decent striker of the ball a clear hit at goal then he will hit the net more often. Either that or the keeper spills it to an on rushing striker to hit the net.

Daftest idea I have ever head to dispense with a defensive wall

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the subject of walls, how ridiculous that from next season, the team on the attack will not be allowed to put players in or around the defensive wall - I gather they'll have to stand a meter or two away. Isn't the fouled team supposed to have an advantage ?

Sake. Pointless new rule that "fixes" a problem that doesn't even exist. And don't even get me started on that ludicrous new penalty rule where you're not allowed to tuck in a rebound any more.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
And he would say you have now proved his argument, if the attacking team thought there is benefit from blocking the keepers sight, why do the defending team help the attacking team by doing it for them.

Because very few players in the world have the ability to put the ball into the net from a free kick if there's a wall there. It also means that the goalkeeper in theory has one area of the goal to cover. It also gives you a clear line for offside for the rest of the team to play to.

It also doesn't really make his point because any attacking team with any form of invention would either split the wall in a routine in a way that would allow them a higher chance of scoring, ergo making things harder for the keeper but actually easier for their player, or it would give the free kick taker the option for a pass.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
A friend of mine is convinced that the wall is the problem, it un-sights the goalkeeper and gives the taker a 'target' to aim for.

He thinks that if defenders just marked the attackers it would be harder for the taker to get a clear shot on goal, but no coach is going to be brave enough to try it.

Here is an example....
View attachment 105641

If you got rid of walls this might happen:

[tweet]889914055829454849[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sake. Pointless new rule that "fixes" a problem that doesn't even exist. And don't even get me started on that ludicrous new penalty rule where you're not allowed to tuck in a rebound any more.

arent these just suggested, not yet finalised, or am i being hopful? anyway, just realised that if they did apply the penalty change it would make the D redundant.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

Here is an example....
View attachment 105641

I agree. Unless it's really close the wall is a hindrance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here