Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Boeing 737 aka Max 8

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Cause for concern if you were due to fly on it ? Two in six months and the latest only three months old if to be believed ? Before my time but after watching/reading about The Comet aircraft is history repeating itself ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It will certainly be interesting to hear what the flight data recorders reveal from yesterday's crash. So far, the circumstances of the Lion Air crash and the Ethiopian Air crash sound worryingly similar. Both shortly after take off, both pilots reported difficulties and requested to return to the airport and both never made it. The Lion Air preliminary findings suggest the anti-stall software kept putting the aircraft into a dive, 12 times before it crashed. Radar tracking of yesterday's flight seem to show similar issues.

Plenty of 737 Max 8's in service but not sure I'd be too happy if I was scheduled to fly on one at present, to be honest.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Respect to those who have lost their lives and families,yet why no fire ? Surely the plane must have plenty for its destination ?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Surprised that Boeing have not grounded all 737 max until at least the data recorders have been recovered and a prilimary look at the evidance

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Cause for concern if you were due to fly on it ? Two in six months and the latest only three months old if to be believed ? Before my time but after watching/reading about The Comet aircraft is history repeating itself ?

I’m due to fly on one in three weeks!! Just been having this conversation with my wife. Could I get a refund?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems to be a bit hit and miss at the moment on the 737 Max 8s, with Ethiopia, china, South Africa and Indonesia grounding the aircraft util further notice, but you may still have to use one flying out of the UK as Norwegian and TUI are continuing to fly the aircraft.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Surprised that Boeing have not grounded all 737 max until at least the data recorders have been recovered and a prilimary look at the evidance

A lot of planes have been grounded. TUI in the UK say ‘they are working closely with Boeing’

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
About half the global 737 MAX fleet had been grounded as at today (see table), based on airlines' voluntary grounding and/or the local aviation authority's instructions (mostly in Asia). The Chinese CAA ordered an immediate grounding on safety concerns (97 MAXs are operated in China).

Interesting to note that the top three operators (Southwest, Air Canada and American) have not grounded so far but in the US and Canada airlines will typically look to the FAA for guidance on airworthiness directives.

All eyes will now be on Boeing and the FAA, who are likely to wait until the flight data recorders are analysed before commenting further. At least the flight data recorders were recovered quickly, which is usually not the case when an accident occurs over water, and so it is hoped that the investigation can be concluded sooner rather than later thus identifying the cause and preventing further incidents.

Norwegian and TUI are the biggest European operators of the type but hadn't (as at this morning) grounded their MAX fleets.

Condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.

MAX.JPG

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
China will be retaliation for the Huawei ban, putting pressure on the US / Boeing.

Lion don't have a great record anyway and have put plenty of planes in the sea.

Seems to be some suggestion that there are some big changes in handling between a 737 and 737-M8, but the training doesn't distinguish. I.e trying to recover a 737 in a stall or similar is completely different to a 737-M8 and pilots aren't skilled enough or aware of what needs to be done.

Plenty of theory on https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/619272-ethiopian-airliner-down-africa-23.html

Interesting to see what Norwegian do. They are barely surviving so losing a chunk of their fleet could put them out of business

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Not really considering the comet was a sub par design/construction with metal fatigue the cause of the crashes.

The Lion Air Crash in Indonesia was unerring and reports suggest so far that it’s not likely to be the same cause this time around - eye witness heard odd mechanical sounds and smoke...

What’s more worrying perhaps is that the lion air cause, software malfunction, isn’t being patched for a number of months, with pilots adopting alternative protocols in the meantime. Astounding that’s allowed to happen these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m due to fly on one in three weeks!! Just been having this conversation with my wife. Could I get a refund?

Apparently, if you decide to cancel then no refunds will be made. If the airline or the authorities ground the plane and no alternative is made available then you will be refunded. It is a hard situation to be in as a passenger at present. So far 22 airlines worldwide have grounded their 737 M-8 fleets, so why should you as a non-expert paying passenger be expected to have faith in the safety of the aircraft when 22 airlines currently don't?

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Apparently, if you decide to cancel then no refunds will be made. If the airline or the authorities ground the plane and no alternative is made available then you will be refunded. It is a hard situation to be in as a passenger at present. So far 22 airlines worldwide have grounded their 737 M-8 fleets, so why should you as a non-expert paying passenger be expected to have faith in the safety of the aircraft when 22 airlines currently don't?

Yes sounds a bit harsh. Some people reporting the Chinese are playing politics though.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I’m flying Tui on Wednesday. But I can’t find out if it’s a 737 max8 or not. Also 60mph winds forecast ffs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been having this conversation with my wife. Could I get a refund?

It’s probably easiest to just cut your loses and get rid of her.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My first thought was Ryanair, almost there entire fleet is 737 but it seems from the list of airlines that they don't have that type of 737.
From that list on another notes I am not sure I would want to fly with SCAT Airlines.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
My first thought was Ryanair, almost there entire fleet is 737 but it seems from the list of airlines that they don't have that type of 737.
From that list on another notes I am not sure I would want to fly with SCAT Airlines.

Or Okay Airways for that matter!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here