Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Any remember our very own pitch invader vs Leyton Orient March 97?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Didn't he try and attack both the late, great Butch Wilkins and the ref?

In the back of my mind I seem to recollect his name was Neil, owned a Butcher's shop in Brighton and was formerly a member of the Executive Club at the Goldstone.

Is he still an Amex regular?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Think he rugby tackled Butch Wilkins from memory. That was the 4-4 game that had everything!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I remember it very vaguely, didn't he get back into the west terrace? Not the most popular thing to do as we were getting points docked and threatened almost daily at the time!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I remember it very vaguely, didn't he get back into the west terrace? Not the most popular thing to do as we were getting points docked and threatened almost daily at the time!

I thought he got nicked, they had him in a headlock and frog marched him past an astonished Steve Gritt and Jeff Wood, closely followed by his girlfriend, who did take the time to apologise to the Albion management duo.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Difference is that McGleish and friends were very culpable for that incident. From the depths of memory I don't think Wilkins was involved, but goading the North Stand in one of our last games at the Goldstone when we desperately needed the win, had already had several pitch invasions that season and there had been trouble at their place wasn't the greatest example of players helping to maintain the peace.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He got Robbie R's boots didn't he?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Was that the same season the away match was somewhat feisty, we were in the side, one end being closed/knocked down? the. 90's is all a bit of a blur! I do remember Wilkins being a proper c**t that day, never liked him anyway.

Difference is that McGleish and friends were very culpable for that incident. From the depths of memory I don't think Wilkins was involved, but goading the North Stand in one of our last games at the Goldstone when we desperately needed the win, had already had several pitch invasions that season and there had been trouble at their place wasn't the greatest example of players helping to maintain the peace.

Didn't he try and attack both the late, great Butch Wilkins and the ref?

In the back of my mind I seem to recollect his name was Neil, owned a Butcher's shop in Brighton and was formerly a member of the Executive Club at the Goldstone.

Is he still an Amex regular?

Bit disturbed that Dean Wilkins is "late". Fortunately Wikipedia confirms otherwise.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Found this !!

Ray Wilkins slammed Brighton fans for trying to "ruin the club" after the pitch invasion at the Goldstone Ground.

Four home supporters were arrested after the game was held up for four minutes in the second half when one of them attacked Orient's Scott McGleish.

McGleish had just put Orient 4-3 ahead and former England star Wilkins, making his away debut for Orient, tangled with his team-mate's attacker.

He said: "The fan was a big guy and he as he tried to hit the ref I stepped in and he bounced off me."

Wilkins believes it will be a tragedy for Brighton boss Steve Gritt if the Seagulls are handed another points penalty by the FA. Last month their appeal against a two-point deduction for the pitch invasion in the home game against Lincoln on October 1 was rejected, and Wilkins said: "It'll be such a shame if the FA decide to take further action against Brighton.

"When Steve Gritt took over it was a non-starter to stay in the League being 12 points from safety. It was a huge gap and what Steve and the guys have done has been miraculous.

"It's a great shame that a small minority are trying to ruin things for Brighton. Steve Gritt and the players are working their socks off and what is regrettable is that it is not the supporters who will suffer, it is the players and the manager. For them it must be like hitting your head against a brick wall."

The FA are promising a full inquiry into the pitch invasion and Orient chairman Barry Hearn is pledging to press for Brighton to be punished. He branded those responsible as "mindless yobs" and defended his players for lashing out when the offenders were being arrested.

He said: "Having a fan come on to the field and hit a player on the opposing side is unacceptable and sends out the wrong message. Under the circumstances, I would expect my players to get involved. I would if I was on the bench.

"Those so-called supporters should be locked up. This is a very serious matter for Brighton, and we intend to follow it through."

Brighton boss Gritt, who has done remarkably well to divorce his players from the club's off-field problems since taking over three months ago, refused to be drawn on the possibility of Brighton losing points. "I can only take about the football and but for our ineptitude this was a game we would have won," he said.

Brighton made a dream start with Craig Maskell scoring twice in the opening seven minutes. But two goals from Carl Griffiths and one by Alex Inglethorpe just after the interval put Orient in control.

Ian Baird made it 3-3 on 74 minutes, only for McGleish to reply moments later. Orient had Mark Warren sent off on 84 minutes before Paul McDonald converted a point-saving penalty a minute later.

Brighton remain a point adrift at the bottom and Gritt admitted: "Our defending at times was amateurish. The players let themselves and the supporters down.

"I'm pleased I've kept my record of us not losing at home, but to score four and not win is disappointing."

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
One of my all time favourite games, that one. Had a bit of everything.

Here's the moment in question:

Can't find any highlights of the actual game though. I'm sure there used to be some on youtube.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
One of my all time favourite games, that one. Had a bit of everything.

Here's the moment in question:

Can't find any highlights of the actual game though. I'm sure there used to be some on youtube.

Apologies about not seeing you at Huddersfield mate - should have messaged you sooner. Next time :thumbsup:

And yeah that match was ****ing great.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Was our late penalty also the softest ever given or was that a different game?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Have a vague memory of a Brighton fan hitting a Portsmouth player at Fratton

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was at this game with my dad, it was around my 16th birthday and he bought me down to see the Goldstone one last time. It was a brilliant game, I was right behind the goal when McDonald eventually got to take the pen... although we failed to win it was a truly remarkable and memorable match. Even Jason Peake looked good, playing one of the best first time half volleyed passes I've ever seen, which lead to our opener.

Brilliant.

Now the invader, or the main protagonist, I remember sprinting on to attack Wilkins - well - he got shoved about a bit before the bloke kind of ran off before getting apprehended... that's how I remember it... My dad thought it was hilarious... almost comic, as Wilkins the old villain - pulling us about in midfield after coming on as a sub (I think) got floored and thereafter faded from the game. Don't get me wrong, it was out of order, but seemed in tune with our plight at the time... desperate times and all that.

I actually think it unnerved Orient and got us back in the game - twice!! And BOY was that point vital.

I'll never forget that game, never.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I have the dubious pleasure of having known two of the ‘attackers’. One of them was indeed Neil. Very passionate about the Albion, but he was pretty fearless and did like a scrap! I believe there was a picture in the paper of him standing over a surprised and prostrate Ray Wilkins as he clung onto a leg. The other was a younger lad who was dating a lass who lived across the road.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here