Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Any remember our very own pitch invader vs Leyton Orient March 97?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My last game at the Goldstone before flying out to Delhi at the beginning of a RTW backpacker trip. What a last game. Unforgettable, had it all. Brilliant atmosphere in the North.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
One of the best matches I’ve seen. The team dug deep that day. I do remember them scoring straight from a kick off, straight down the middle, hardly a challenge along the way. We were desperate at times. But McGleish was such a dick that despite it being unacceptable at the time it was hard to feel too bad about the pitch invasion

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Apologies about not seeing you at Huddersfield mate - should have messaged you sooner. Next time :thumbsup:

And yeah that match was ****ing great.

Nice to see that Ian ‘Shrinking violet’ Baird gets involved to protect the bloke! I remember that match like yesterday - it was truly us against the world.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know if I'm merging two matches, but I seem to remember the guy who ran on had got into an argument with other fans because he spent most of the game berating Nicky Rust.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Was our late penalty also the softest ever given or was that a different game?

Yeah, remember thinking at the time, the ref had levelled it up cos he was worried about what might happen if we lose, even if that wasn't what he thought it definitely seemed a soft one.

As has been said, brilliant game, had it all.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nice to see that Ian ‘Shrinking violet’ Baird gets involved to protect the bloke! I remember that match like yesterday - it was truly us against the world.

A few weeks later that shrinking violet got sent off with Darren Moore for fighting in the last match at the Goldstone.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Didn't he try and attack both the late, great Butch Wilkins and the ref?

In the back of my mind I seem to recollect his name was Neil, owned a Butcher's shop in Brighton and was formerly a member of the Executive Club at the Goldstone.

Is he still an Amex regular?

Think he was referred to as “the Butcher of Coldean”. Didn’t he jump into the standing section below the West Stand only to be booted back out?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have the dubious pleasure of having known two of the ‘attackers’. One of them was indeed Neil. Very passionate about the Albion, but he was pretty fearless and did like a scrap! I believe there was a picture in the paper of him standing over a surprised and prostrate Ray Wilkins as he clung onto a leg. The other was a younger lad who was dating a lass who lived across the road.

Do you still know the bloke who landed 2 punches on their no.8?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have the dubious pleasure of having known two of the ‘attackers’. One of them was indeed Neil. Very passionate about the Albion, but he was pretty fearless and did like a scrap! I believe there was a picture in the paper of him standing over a surprised and prostrate Ray Wilkins as he clung onto a leg. The other was a younger lad who was dating a lass who lived across the road.

Went to school with Neil (now you have unmasked him). We went on bicycle rides togther. Last saw him at Sussex county when I bumped into him when visiting an infirm relation. A mutual friend told me recently his businesses have failed. If you're lurking on here, good luck to you. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think he was referred to as “the Butcher of Coldean”. Didn’t he jump into the standing section below the West Stand only to be booted back out?

He was eventually banned for an unsavoury incident on the terraces. We called him 'wreck' at school, mainly for ill-judged doomed-to-fail gestures. Actually, he was a nice, warm-hearted bloke, and I feel a bit wistful now....

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

In the back of my mind I seem to recollect his name was Neil, owned a Butcher's shop in Brighton and was formerly a member of the Executive Club at the Goldstone.

Is he still an Amex regular?

Last time I saw him was at the Hartlepool fans United game.
He paid his admission and went through the turnstile, only to open the gates and let hundreds storm in for free.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wow, this Neil the butcher was obviously an ar$hole of the first order. Very much as much a dickhead as the three who caused all sorts of problems with their unacceptable behaviour over the weekend. Morons the lot of them. I hated the idiots then who might have made things worse and risked points deductions for our club and I feel the same about cockheads who feel bold enough to run on the pitch at The Amex, even in celebration. Grow up lads.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
I went on 606 that night (David Mellor era) realising that we needed to muddy the waters AND QUICK! Zeroed in on them goading the North Stand. Barry Hearn got well narked and came on the radio shortly afterwards to defend his players. Sometimes, I yearn for those days of innocence!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I remember this match like it was yesterday. Such was the intensity of this match that the very mild mannered guy who regularly sat near us in the West Stand stood up and shouted abuse at Ray Wilkins questioning his parentage. I'd never heard him ever shout before. I was quite shocked.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

My recollection was that he was heading for McGleish, and "butch" tried to intervene and stop him. I don't think he was heading for Wilkins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here