Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] PA Anouncer at Palace

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can it be a coincidence that since the lyrics to GOSBTS went up on the screen, you can now hear the correct lyrics sung at away games, instead of the "der der-der-der der der der" verses that we used to get?

No problem with the lyrics being on the screen myself. And if Palace deem that to be tinpot, I'm happy to bask in the irony.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Pretty sure people use hymn books in a cathedral...

Not got a problem with it at all. I'd rather have more people singing that not bothering because they don't know the words. If you know them already, don't look at the screen :shrug:

I'm with you on this. The whole GOSBTS singing before home games only really got going after that game when the pa cut out just before the chorus (it was probably the highlight of a 1-2 deafet to Middlesbrough that day), and I for one didn't know the words apart from 'Going up to win the cup', despite being a fan since the mid 80s. Now everyone knows the words, including the correct 'stand or fall' chorus, and it gets sung in full at away games by far more people than it used to.

Now all we need to do is try and not get carried away with the speed of the chorus.

I also don't care what some tw@ up the A23 thinks.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What he should have said was "Here come the teams, so let's sing Tottenham's song."

Dave Clark actually formed the DC5 to raise money for Spurs. They were also referred to in the sixties as playing the 'Tottenham Sound'

'Horrible Suburban' Crystal Palace can't even run out to a song that has any connection with where they come from, but to choose a song by a band formed to raise money for another club seems particularly desperate.

In return for them giving us six points I've tried to help them out by finding them a song of their own. I've Googled 'bands from Croydon' and read that Saint Etienne are said to hail from there. Considering their home form, the condition of the stadium, the fans fighting among themselves, the owners putting them up for sale, and their rivals doing the double over them, what could be better for them to run out to, but this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szHXagmryo

To be fair aren't most of their ultras tottenham?

Seems perfectly suited to them if that's the case?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I still find the idea of Crystal Palace running out to the Dave Clark Five one of the funniest things in modern football.

It's on a par with Partick Thistle's mascot, except that's deliberately funny.

Maybe a few years from now they'll update it to something equally random by Shakatak or Howard Jones.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I wish we didn't put the lyrics up

Each to their own but I for one am happy to see the lyrics in their full glory on the screen. It's our County song, Im proud of it. I want everyone to know the lyrics rather than deride those who don't (not suggesting the poster i've quoted has derided anyone but some on here have done so).

Its inclusive as it allows fans old and new, young and old to share the experience. All fans have to be new fans at some point.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is called democracy which obviously you do not adhere to as the majority wanted them brought back and the club have done so. If it increases the atmosphere I am all for it, and if you dont need them just dont look, just sing the words you know Nobody forces you to look at the screens.

The majority? More than 11,000 season ticket holders asked for it.

Can you provide first-hand evidence for this claim?

If it increases the atmosphere I am all for it, and if you dont need them just dont look, just sing the words you know Nobody forces you to look at the screens.

I don't look at the screen to read them. Who said I did?

Jesus - what an absurd post.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The majority? More than 11,000 season ticket holders asked for it.

Can you provide first-hand evidence for this claim?

I don't look at the screen to read them. Who said I did?

Jesus - what an absurd post.

Nobody said they did but you obviously know better than PB who said it was brought back by public request as in You asked we did it. But then I forgot that in your estimation you know everything about BHA and are never wrong

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tbf, we do make ourselves look a bit dim because we have the lyrics, and still get them wrong.

Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea
Good ol' Sussex by the Sea

How many people sing the second line twice?

I do.

And we're going up to win the cup
for sausage, by the sea

And I really don't care.

The words were different for 45 of the last 50 years I have been watching The Albion. Having the words displayed is useful to me, and I am happy to play along. A bit. So, ner. Ner ner ne ner ner. Don't give a widdle.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Nobody said they did but you obviously know better than PB who said it was brought back by public request as in You asked we did it. But then I forgot that in your estimation you know everything about BHA and are never wrong

BG - There is no point even trying to debate with TLO...He is just a mere troll!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I just wish we’d sing the chorus as well

For We're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea.
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we;
And when you go to Sussex, Whoever you may be,
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!

PS always sung in H Block WSU.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I do.

And we're going up to win the cup
for sausage, by the sea

And I really don't care.

LOL, well that's a new one on me. If the guy next to me sings that, I'll introduce myself, as it will surely be you.

The words were different for 45 of the last 50 years I have been watching The Albion.

They haven't changed the words to "Sussex By The Sea" these are, and have always been the correct ones, we've just often sung different ones.

Btw, I'm not making an issue of what should or shouldn't happen, just pointing out that the PA at Palace does have a point if he's saying Palace fans can sing a son correctly without the words being on teh screen, as we have them on teh screen and still don't sing the right words.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Perhaps they play it because they're trying to recreate the plot: The Yanks getting out of town because they don't want to be associated with the giant mess, Parish as Harold, the boss being unable to build what he had planned, being totally unaware of how out of his depth he is, finding that his methods are out of date and his organisation small time. I can see him being driven home, slowly realising that he's stuffed, whatever he does.

Aha - it all fits!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with him. If Sussex by the Sea is our song, we shouldn't need the lyrics on the screen, it looks tinpot. Anyone who is bothered can go away and learn them.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I agree with him. If Sussex by the Sea is our song, we shouldn't need the lyrics on the screen, it looks tinpot. Anyone who is bothered can go away and learn them.

Maybe the club could print them in the match program instead of on screen? Everyones a winner. :shrug:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Pretty sure people use hymn books in a cathedral...

Not got a problem with it at all. I'd rather have more people singing that not bothering because they don't know the words. If you know them already, don't look at the screen :shrug:

Indeed. When people all know the words they can be taken off the screen. Until then they need to stay there. I don't know if that day will ever come however as until GOSBTS is sung every morning in Sussex schools there is always the issue of how do people who don't know the words go about learning them? Are we going to insist that everybody has to google them and then sing the song in full before they're allowed to buy a ticket?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here