Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Police in Croydon yesterday

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
What does he do with his right hand. He was facing the police officer and when he turned round his right hand goes towards the police officer in front of him. Did he try grabbing something?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Doesn't look good for the police that.

Be very interested to hear what happens with this guy and the club banning him.

I suspect he wont be seeing an Albion game live for a while with the zero tolerance irrelevant of whether he even got charged

Shame

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Blooming eck. Winner of sanctimonious post of the days goes to....

But at Selhurst on Saturday I was shocked by the away fans who were acting just like the old days. Many were moving along the rows to get closer to the home fans and not just verbal abuse. Standing on the seats or a wall hurling abuse at them. Now I don't see this at the 'big' away games and I think it is because tickets go to the top fans for those matches. At the end of the match, whilst many made their way outside, still a few insisted on staying in the ground, trying to get to the oppo fans despite a line of coppers being in their way. There are a few, and I emphasise a few, who spoil it for the rest of us. Do you really think that left alone all 2000 fans would have walked hand in hand with the local constabulary to be put on a train with a 'have a safe journey'? No way. Did the police behave badly, yes but only a small minority. Did we behave ourselves, sadly not but only a small minority.
And next is Millwall. Please represent our club responsibly. My hope is that the police will be out in force to protect us rather than attack us. Either way don't give them any excuses.

It's a derby....thats EXACTLY what it should be like. You can't take the tribalism away from football.

Saturday was like a walk in the park compared to previous visits there.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It's that left knee in the guy's neck that has me cringing. The whole weight of a riot officer's body (& equipment & armour) digging into the back of his head. I normally support the authority, because after all they are what keep us from descending into anarchy as a society.

But that's sick. And I note no perspective yet from our resident custodians of the law either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Doesn't look good for the police that.

Be very interested to hear what happens with this guy and the club banning him.

I suspect he wont be seeing an Albion game live for a while with the zero tolerance irrelevant of whether he even got charged

Shame
Zero tolerance? It doesn't look as if there's anything to tolerate. If the club do ban him and/or withdraw his ST that would indeed be shame. I would rather see support from the club, not the club putting the boot in like the TSG thugs.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Zero tolerance? It doesn't look as if there's anything to tolerate. If the club do ban him and/or withdraw his ST that would indeed be shame. I would rather see support from the club, not the club putting the boot in like the TSG thugs.

Wouldn't we all. Let's now wait and see whether Barber has the capacity to do the right thing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Similar thing happened to me many years ago. I was living in London and was kettled to the station where I didn’t want to go. I was with a girl and We ended up having an argument with a copper. We were stationary as we argued and the kettle had moved on someway down the road as we went back and forth verbally. Eventually I said to the copper “we have done nothing wrong, we don’t want to go to the station, you have no right to make us go to the station, and the easiest thing for you to do now is leave us here and run and catch up with your colleagues.” - he saw sense and left us. The copper was an absolute arrogant cocksure bellend; how the **** do people like him get jobs? As an aside I am certain it helped there was a female with me though, I probably wouldn’t have stood my ground if I was on my own.

yes ...you are right , the fact you were with a bird most definitely helped.......coppers , prrrfffttt.....the good ones end up high up quite quick which leaves the drones on the street to deal with the agro .......imagine how careful they have to be around croydon , tippy toeing around minorities , trying to do their best without upsetting anyone or causing any friction or racial tension .........so quite frankly when a load of pissed up brighton fans present themselves for attention it is pretty much open season as far as the met are concerned........you are ****ing welcome.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Don't think that matters. Will just be seen as arrested so needs banning

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
It's always been the same at this fixture, they just kettle you to the train station and make you get on a train, even if you don't live in Sussex! Remember back in the early noughties coming out with the crowd, trying to make my way to a bus stop to catch the bus home and being push back and forth to the train station. They wouldn't listen, didn't give a shit, they just want to overwhelm you with force to keep you intimidated.

Well the last 4 times I've been I haven't ended up on a train to Sussex? Last season I got the first train from NJ going back central. On Saturday, I turned left out of the away end, was let straight through the police line and got a train back to central from Selhurst.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't think that matters.
Well, it bl00dy well should!

Will just be seen as arrested so needs banning
That's ridiculous (not what you said, but the idea of arrest automatically justifying banning). Has he been charged? If the Met realise that they aren't going to look good in court (and on the evidence seen so far they might not get a result anyway; CPS might bin it).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The bloke in this video is a mate of mine. He understandably was not happy with the way the police were treating his son for no reason. Ended up arrested, charged with affray, spent today in hospital due to injuries caused by the police and with his season ticket taken away. Serious over reaction by the old bill and I really hope Paul Barber looks at this video before banning a bloke who was just trying to look after his son

Out of interest, who took his season ticket off him and what right do they have to do so?

Whilst I understand that you have to empty your pockets if you're arrested (assuming that police dramas show being taken into custody correctly), they surely have no right to not give some of your possessions back - unless they're illegal (drugs, knives, etc) - when letting you go.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Totally OTT and heavy handed. Hopefully once video has been reviewed all charges will be dropped. The police have done themselves no favours, in either of the games at the Amex and Selhurst.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
That's simply not a justifiable take down from the Police , the man has obviously been asked to move and he appears to be doing just that when yanked back by the police then grounded by the take down team , if this person who i do not know whatsoever loses his season ticket over this incident and nothing else comes to light that he did anything to provoke the arrest then the club should give it back immediately , the police do in the main a fantastic job in this country but from that video evidence they've got it wrong here and should apologise drop any charges and reimburse the expenses to the gentlemen in question who hopefully has no serious injuries .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Well, it bl00dy well should!

That's ridiculous (not what you said, but the idea of arrest automatically justifying banning). Has he been charged? If the Met realise that they aren't going to look good in court (and on the evidence seen so far they might not get a result anyway; CPS might bin it).

Been bans this season for less

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Selhurst Park is one away ground that I’ll never go back to. I hate the dump. Despite having been there numerous times I just don’t enjoy Albion v Palace games anymore - it’s all I can do to suffer our fixture at the Amex. The 2-0 defeat in the playoffs did it for me. Your post perfectly describe my feelings and I sincerely hope your wish in the final sentence comes true.

Yeah me too. Naff ground (last time I ended up sitting behind a pllar) unpleasant home fans and a nightmare to park anywhere.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Remember, the Police are too under-resourced to deal effectively with knife crime. Priorities are completely skewed.

Clubs pay for policing of football matches, so it's generally cost neutral / money earner from them rather than out of their budgets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here