Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jack Grealish

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
A lifetime ban I assume, but do you also do time for that?

I've been attacked in a very similar way (i.e. unprovoked, bloke took a run up behind me and punched me in the back of the head with me completely unsuspecting). He didn't go to prison. Unsure how much the fact this was on a football pitch will be an aggravating factor.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having just watched it again on Sky, I did have to chuckle at the ref who didn't really know what to do so just kept blowing his whistle. For what purpose, to give Villa a freekick?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
FA likely to give a hefty penalty to if they do what is needed. Only way it will stop is for a real tough reaction such as points deduction or whats more likely a hefty fine and forced to play games behind closed doors. The only problem is that will encourage real idiots to do similar just so they can claim they got the stadium shut down.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having just watched it again on Sky, I did have to chuckle at the ref who didn't really know what to do so just kept blowing his whistle. For what purpose, to give Villa a freekick?

It was a foul. Made no attempt to play the ball.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Does the fact it happened during a football match mean the punishment is likely to be lesser or greater?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been attacked in a very similar way (i.e. unprovoked, bloke took a run up behind me and punched me in the back of the head with me completely unsuspecting). He didn't go to prison. Unsure how much the fact this was on a football pitch will be an aggravating factor.

It's two charges instead of one, for starters. Assault and pitch invasion.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The fact it happened on the pitch in front of probably hundreds of thousands of people, will be a massive factor l would suggest. Although just to correct some posters comments, it looked to be much more of a massive shove from behind, than a punch, which floored Grealish. Terrible nonetheless.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Wow. Gobsmacked by this (although Grealish wasn't. If you watch the video in slo-mo it was just a dirty, chubby little hand wrapped around his neck..)

I think any lack of proper connection was purely by fortune and not by intent. You can see that the guy really went to put as much force as he could into his punch as he draws his arm back prior to launching it. It was only his lack of height and lack of reach and Grealishe's forward momentum that prevented any meaningful connection.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lifetime ban and a prison sentence, was that really worth it? Birmingham fans cheering the **** as well, disgraceful.

Prison sentence is a must to demonstrate this sort of assault will not be tolerated.

Lifetime ban (from all football grounds) is also a good call.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Does the fact it happened during a football match mean the punishment is likely to be lesser or greater?

Definitely greater. The courts will want to send a message to all football fans that this behaviour is unacceptable.

*note* most sane people think that this behaviour is unacceptable.

Can’t wait to see the chav in the dock claiming ‘it was just bantz’.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Probably greater. It's not just the unprovoked assault but also the wider environment it occurred in and potential knock on effect.

He'll be spending his summer holiday a bit more locally this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here