Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Rivalry: when will the Media NOT...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
...start by banging on about the origins of, how odd it is, blah blah bloody blah EVERYTIME we play them? :annoyed:

It’s starting to get slightly annoying now. Even Martians know, yet the media approach like it’s some sort of news scoop whenever we play each other. In other news, bears’ shit in woods...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And when will they look at a map and notice that in fact Sussex and Croydon are fairly close. They don't bang on about a lack of geographical connection between Norwich and Ipswich or Cardiff and Swansea.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
At least Jonathan Pearce got the point on MOTD last night, mentioning the M23 goes neither to Brighton nor Croydon, and that fans hate the term.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
And when will they look at a map and notice that in fact Sussex and Croydon are fairly close. They don't bang on about a lack of geographical connection between Norwich and Ipswich or Cardiff and Swansea.

Had this discussion with so many people before. Many a time people have said surely Southampton or Bournemouth is nearer, northerners in particular seem to think the south coast is a little 50 mile stretch of land.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Just out of interest, I looked them up, and you make a very good point.

According to googlemaps:

Cardiff City Stadium to Liberty Stadium 43.4 miles
Portman Road to Carrow Road 44.4 miles
Amex to Selhurst 46.0 miles

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Just out of interest, I looked them up, and you make a very good point.

According to googlemaps:

Cardiff City Stadium to Liberty Stadium 43.4 miles
Portman Road to Carrow Road 44.4 miles
Amex to Selhurst 46.0 miles
The 'as the crow flies' distance is 37 miles... 45 if driving.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
...start by banging on about the origins of, how odd it is, blah blah bloody blah EVERYTIME we play them? :annoyed:

It’s starting to get slightly annoying now. Even Martians know, yet the media approach like it’s some sort of news scoop whenever we play each other. In other news, bears’ shit in woods...

I guess viewers need reminding outside of the pantomime season that it's actually a thing.

Face it, as rivalries go, it's pretty pound shop.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I guess viewers need reminding outside of the pantomime season that it's actually a thing.

Face it, as rivalries go, it's pretty pound shop.

Five Pound shop wasn’t it?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
In terms of head to head it’s also one of closest (if not THE closest) in terms of our wins vs their wins.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
It doesn’t help that the narrative of football beginning in 1992 has been peddled by the Premier League and media since its inception. Any mention of football pre 1992 is seen as sacrilege.

el punal

We have a rivalry with Palace - a bitter one at that, but it is NOT a derby by definition i.e. two teams competing from the same local district. That would apply to Liverpool and Everton, or Celtic and Rangers, Brum and Villa. You could stretch a point and say Norwich and Ipswich as, geographically, they are both in East Anglia.

But us and Palace, the M23 derby? Do me a favour! That is just some overhyped media label, almost as bad as the Dockyard derby between Portsmouth and Plymouth. :rant:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Have noticed Sky doing a lot of '2nd City Derby' as a description for Birmingham and Villa. They really are desperate for a stupid soundbite.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Because many neutrals dont even know its a rivalry and when they find out it is need to be told why as its not very obvious

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
For Brighton it makes geographic sense. For Palace there are a lot of London clubs closer to them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
For Brighton it makes geographic sense. For Palace there are a lot of London clubs closer to them.

The only London teams bothered about Palace, are Charlton and Millwall, and Millwall probably hate West Ham more.

So, if not us, then Palace are stuck with Charlton.

Maybe, the thinking behind it is that Charlton wouldn’t do the double over them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here