Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ed Stafford living on the streets for 60 days

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Nothing there to argue about.
As I've said over and over again, Brighton seafront is full of organised beggars who have places to sit. They make a small fortune. I saw them just last week all getting out of a nice car at the Old Steine. With their expensive clothes hidden under a blanket and iphones tucked away they get given a fortune. My staff and I all joke that we could close the shop and sit out side begging and make more money.
This is not to say there are not genuine homeless, those that steal from me knowing they will never get done by the police.
And has anyone seen that 'camp' outside the Jurys Inn on the seafront, horrendous and ugly? But it does have some nice 'stolen' flowers and stuff.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Professional begging is a huge problem. Here in Shoreham a gang of Romanians recently pitched up. In nicer they weather bed down on the high street. When it rains or is cold they get picked up and dropped back in the morning. Identical cardboard signs saying they’re hungry. They refuse any offer of food.

Police not in the slightest bit interested despite emails etc. Unfortunately with no police patrolling on foot anymore, once lovely towns like Shoreham are becoming targets for gangs. It’s a real shame.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Professional begging is a huge problem. Here in Shoreham a gang of Romanians recently pitched up. In nicer they weather bed down on the high street. When it rains or is cold they get picked up and dropped back in the morning. Identical cardboard signs saying they’re hungry. They refuse any offer of food.

Police not in the slightest bit interested despite emails etc. Unfortunately with no police patrolling on foot anymore, once lovely towns like Shoreham are becoming targets for gangs. It’s a real shame.

It won’t stop until people stop giving to them. If you want to give, give it to a registered charity.
Even gifts of food allow them to spend their money on “other” things

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It won’t stop until people stop giving to them. If you want to give, give it to a registered charity.
Even gifts of food allow them to spend their money on “other” things

Exactly right. I don’t give beggars anything. Food, money , nothing. I only offered food to see if they would accept it given their signs read “please help. I’m hungry”.

Problem is clueless members of the public who always give cash. I suspect this gang in Shoreham are not addicts. Their (our) money will go back to their gang master.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Stafford v Grylls could be a new rivalry. Get them to compete in some competition.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was carrying out some repairs in a shop on Shaftsbury Ave owner was telling me all pro beggars in the area, firstly they have to pay for the best pitches to a street gang and earn around £200 a shift as he regularly cashes up the change for them to save him going to the bank.

Just stop getting played keep your money and give these wankers f all.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I found that an interesting watch. Appreciate it’s an edited tv show but I was surprised that he didn’t find just one homeless person who wasn’t on booze, drugs or both. And the one guy who said he begged to get money to pay for a hostel and he was trying to get accommodation from the council was actually on heroin and just begging for money to find that. And that they get given quite a bit of food and charities also provide enough so that food is not a problem.

It does seem a bit like anyone giving money to a homeless person is very likely to be funding a drink / drug problem and facilitating the continuation of the absolutely shite scenario these people are in. Which does reinforce my long held thought- ‘WHY ARE PEOPLE GIVING THEM MONEY?!?!?!’ It’s fine to think you are helping someone but if all the available evidence suggests you are more likely to be facilitating them making their life worse- why would you keep doing it?

I mean, if it was a honest transaction and these people begging had a sign saying ‘I am addicted to drink/drugs/both, please give me money so I can get more and **** my life up further’ - would people still give money? Because that is the reality of the transaction in 99% of cases it seems.

Absolute bloody madness...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here