Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalties and offside goals this season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When Palace got away with a nailed on penalty it got me thinking just how many times this appears to have happened this season.

Can those of you with good memories recall all the penalties we haven’t been given, those that should have been given against as well as goals that should or shouldn’t have stood for and against us.

So, yesterday, Burnley, Huddersfield (x2) for pens we should have been given are the ones I can recall instantly. I think we got away with a few decisions in those three 1-0 wins early season?

Goals against, I can only remember Sol Bamba’s offside goal with the shirt waving mad celebration that ref didn’t see. I am sure there are others.

I guess I really want to know if we’ve been mostly lucky ot unlucky this season because I think we have been mostly unlucky/losers in shit refereeing decisions. Is this just my Albion bias coming out?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I seem to remember a penalty given away by Kayal, where the player was offside before the tackle.

Can't remember against who though.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I seem to remember a penalty given away by Kayal, where the player was offside before the tackle.

Can't remember against who though.

This was in the Leicester game.

However, the rules for that is actually penalty was the correct decision.

If the player is offside, but not ‘active’ and then is fouled before playing the ball (which is what happened), then the Penalty overrules the Offside as the Penalty happened before the ‘offside’ as they weren’t active in the play (apparently - this is just what I’ve seen/read so I’m just repeating what I’ve seen).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'll add the Gross goal against Leicester. Schmeichel went ape after Gross scored and it was flagged offside. Replays showed Gross was onside and goal should have stood.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Stone wall pen vs spurs not given when dier rugby tackled two of them.

Knock probably sees red yesterday.

Burnley away their winner was offside

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Both Wolves and Huddersfield (A) had gone penalty shouts against us that weren't given,

For us, besides the ones already mentioned: Murray was clean through against Southampton but was deemed to have fouled the defender (a really soft decision) and there was the West Ham goal that looked it had gone over the dead ball line before it was crossed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stone wall pen vs spurs not given when dier rugby tackled two of them.

Knock probably sees red yesterday.

Burnley away their winner was offside

Was it? I should remember that :down:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
When watching highlights the commentator said how good Yves Bissouma was staying on his feet when he was being tackled from behind in The palace Penalty area but the risk is he could of got second booking would VARs help.
We could have had two penalties.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
This was in the Leicester game.

However, the rules for that is actually penalty was the correct decision.

If the player is offside, but not ‘active’ and then is fouled before playing the ball (which is what happened), then the Penalty overrules the Offside as the Penalty happened before the ‘offside’ as they weren’t active in the play (apparently - this is just what I’ve seen/read so I’m just repeating what I’ve seen).
I think the situation is the ball was flicked into the path of a Leicester player who was offside and when Dunk? attempted to clear the ball the offside Leicester player blocked the clearance (which the linesman should have flagged for). The ball pinged back into the penalty box and then the foul was committed.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, yesterday, Burnley, Huddersfield (x2) for pens we should have been given are the ones I can recall instantly. I think we got away with a few decisions in those three 1-0 wins early season?

Wasn't there two v Burnley? One in the first half where the defender pretended he'd taken a blow to the head, and the one in the second half just before they scored again?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Izzy handball in our area, I can’t remember against who, or if it was even this season, Izzy’s penalty against Palace in the first game wasn’t a penalty, but Murray should have had one, the goal Balogun scored from the corner in the same game wasn’t a corner.
And Mr Tumble shouldn’t have still been on the pitch to get their penalty.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think on the whole, other teams appeal and get at the ref over decisions far more than we do, I don't like it, but it does seem to work.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As an aside, is there a rule this season that Spurs players can't be sent off for the 'rutting stags' head rub that Duffy was sent off for against Palace? First Harry Kane a couple of weeks ago, then Sissoko yesterday?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As an aside, is there a rule this season that Spurs players can't be sent off for the 'rutting stags' head rub that Duffy was sent off for against Palace? First Harry Kane a couple of weeks ago, then Sissoko yesterday?

It usually depends on if the other player falls to the ground holding his head. I remember seeing one this weekend where both players stayed on their feet, was that the sissoko one? Did the other guy stay on his feet when Kane did it? It shouldn't make a difference, but it usually does.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I bet if you asked this on any football forum they would say they'd been hard done by.

That's a tired cliche though. Last season I think on the whole we were fairly treated.

This season, if we are to believe the "it all evens out principle" I think we are due some luck.

We've had some absolutely stonewall penalties ignored lately.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That's a tired cliche though. Last season I think on the whole we were fairly treated.

This season, if we are to believe the "it all evens out principle" I think we are due some luck.

We've had some absolutely stonewall penalties ignored lately.

I don't disagree. Knocky only getting a yellow yesterday was massive good luck from a ref who bottled giving a red so early.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here