Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has the bar been raised for points to survive after today?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Thank you for that. CH was simply being accomodating to the interviewer, rather than being a smart arse 'aiming for 50' or dullard 'take each game as it comes' merchant. Of course he doesn't strategise each game with an end of season points target as his driver. And 40 points is such a soft answer....Pards would have said 'we are aiming for 37 - that should do it' - shortly before he was sacked :lolol:

Again you are straying from your initial pedanticism, which is all I was countering, with some pedanticism of my own.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Again you are straying from your initial pedanticism, which is all I was countering, with some pedanticism of my own.

Its too late. I'm confused now. :lolol:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Cardiff will be a hideous game, as it always is against any Warnock team. They will be niggly, time-wasty, ugly and negative from the off. We will need to keep our heads and make it count.
For sure, but in this instance a draw for them is a lot worse than a draw for us, so a possibility they might actually have a go. Could work in our favour. I know what you mean though, our last home game against them they were shocking. Thank God for Hemed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For a considerable time it has been such that we need to beat or rather avoid losing against Cardiff and or Southampton and it hasnt changed at all today.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Burnley, Southampton or Cardiff to go down - its tough to choose who deserves it most

Burnley have the toughest run of fixtures at end of season - be so sad if then fell into bottom three on last day of season

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
After today's result, that mob up the road are in real trouble. Losing today makes it just one win in their past eight home Premier League games (W1 D2 L5)

Couple that with their dire goal scoring record at home, just 11 goals at home all season, and 4 of those were from penalties.

Their remaining fixtures are now looking far tougher when you take this all into account.

Crystal Palace - Huddersfield Town
Newcastle - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Man City
Arsenal - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Everton
Cardiff - Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace - Bournemouth
Tottenham - Crystal Palace

If they lose to Huddersfield next match, then I'd lump on big that they will go down.

Yes, but you just know that they will beat Arsenal, maybe Spurs, and even Man City!

In reality though - their fixtures aren't that much different to ours. I would expect them to get points at Newcastle and Cardiff, and if we're saying we'll be safe with two wins, then so will they. Indeed, they could even do us a favour winning those two.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Heard it mentioned many times today .... the average over many seasons for the survival line has been 36.1 points since the prem was launched.

Given that I would hope we can still reach 40 points and be very sure of safety but 2 more wins for 39 should be enough if we beat Saints & Cardiff to keep them both below us.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We're safe after that Shirley?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Massive game next weekend.

3 points away at Millwall and we're almost there.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, the bar has been raised because the teams at the bottom keep pulling of surprise wins (damn them!) But 40 points will still certainly be enough - and we're 6 points ahead of our target to get there.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
But realistically, we may end the season with Chelsea, Arsenal and Citeh in 8 days, and quite possibly 0 points from them (although you never know). So to reach 40 we must aim for 7 points from the next six games. Very doable, but losing to Cardiff and Saints would make the table look a lot worse.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I personally thought 32 points was going to be enough but how do Cardiff keep winning games, on paper the worst team ever promoted, hardly bought anyone, then the loss of their new striker. I had them down to beat Derbys 10point record. For all Warnock may mouth off he has done an amazing job to still have them in the running, and at present they could end beating any of the big 6 with another fluke.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bloody pesky Cardiff.

Reckon 37-38 now needed

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I really really really hope Burnley end up going down.

1. I really don't like Burnley
2. It would shut old gravely voice up.
3. I really don't like Burnley
4. It would probably mean Cardiff will take one the bottom 3 slots next season
5. I really don't like Burnley

And it could well move CH up a place on the longest serving manager list .... loads of pluses.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Massive game next weekend.

3 points away at Millwall and we're almost there.

The 3 points for us will probably put them in the relegation zone too. Massive game for both of us

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I personally thought 32 points was going to be enough but how do Cardiff keep winning games, on paper the worst team ever promoted, hardly bought anyone, then the loss of their new striker. I had them down to beat Derbys 10point record. For all Warnock may mouth off he has done an amazing job to still have them in the running, and at present they could end beating any of the big 6 with another fluke.
Not quite. Harry arter, niasse, Bobby Reid , Josh Murphy, camarasa who we tried to sign a couple of seasons ago, all decent players.

I would like us to try and get camarasa if Cardiff go down.

West ham were poor yesterday but Cardiff absolutely pounded them it could easily have been four or five.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here