Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always thought he was going to go to Arsenal two summers ago.

Now I really hate tempting fate, but I do wonder if he will now stay with us and take his rightful place as Albion's greatest ever player and captain :bowdown:

I think he’ll stay with us. He’s 28 and I think big clubs would have made a move by now. And I can’t see much point in moving to a mid-table team.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think he’ll stay with us. He’s 28 and I think big clubs would have made a move by now. And I can’t see much point in moving to a mid-table team.

I think better football will help make him stay to. Less throwing your body at everything and some better technical players further up the pitch compared to last season

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
At first his exclusion from England squads upset me, he deserves his chance to shine on the biggest stage possible. However, as time goes on I’m grateful that Southgate is a clueless muppet. Imagine if Dunk; the best player we’ve ever produced ends up staying with us for his entire career. An absolutely colossal defender, an incredible technical footballer & a born leader.

The longer he flies under the radar despite being the best English centre back playing right now, the better. I hope he spends his entire career with us, smashes our appearance record & leads us to a serious trophy. ‘From Withdean to Wembley’ shouldn’t be the end of his story; a European adventure needs to be added.

ONE. OF. OUR. OWN.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Southgate’s fixation with ‘pacey’ Mings is imho a misjudgement by the ex-England CB. Dunk is simply a far better defender, fewer errors, better concentration, an intelligent player who reads situations. Stones and Mings tick other boxes, apparently, but not THE most important one.

You’re right, Spurs at Bramhall Lane and Arsenal in several games, are crying out for decent CB’s.

Dunk is a heck of a lot better than Mings, although the latter does have some good qualities. Dunk's problem for England is that Maguire is first pick at CB -- deservedly so, IMO -- and Maguire and Dunk are not only similar players, but they have similar weaknesses: they're both slow and, playing together, that'll be exposed by the best international sides.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I think you may be right - the story about Mourinho being shocked that he wasn't being watched by any of Tottenham's recruitment team sums it all up for me. He's not attractive to a big club without a Maguire-esque rise to fame via the England squad (that's not going to happen under Southgate) and despite the obvious improvements he'd make to both of the North London clubs, I don't think they'll make a move for him without recognition outside of Sussex.

I do have it on fairly good authority that Wenger had all but agreed a deal with the club to speak to Dunky at the end of the 17/18 season before getting he got shoved out of the door and the whole thing falling through. Emery wanted a new spine (Leno, Sokratis and Torreira) so had no intention of buying our Lewis.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dunk is a heck of a lot better than Mings, although the latter does have some good qualities. Dunk's problem for England is that Maguire is first pick at CB -- deservedly so, IMO -- and Maguire and Dunk are not only similar players, but they have similar weaknesses: they're both slow and, playing together, that'll be exposed by the best international sides.

I do agree.

He should be in the 23 man squad, as one of two ‘John Terry’ type CB’s,

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He's good, brilliant for us but he does have flaws. He was beaten a few times today and I know this wont be popular on here but his trademark launching last gap blocks failed to stop a couple of Norwich shots. Long may it continue as it means he probably will never play for a top six side and we could never get anyone near as good. Unless of course White lives up to the hype but he is not a Dunk type player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dunk isn't very good. What he needs is a loan spell at Leeds so that they can "develop him" into a world class centre-back.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The turning point was the promotion season. He'd picked up his 12th yellow of the season in the 3-0 defeat at Forest, Duffy also limped off in the closing stages and was out for the rest of the season. We had 11 games left at that point and Dunk was 3 yellow cards away from a 3 game ban. He'd already missed 4 games through suspension that season, 1 for a 5 yellows, 2 for 10 yellows and another game ban for a red card.

He didn't get another caution in those 11 games. He also only picked up 7 yellows in our first season in the PL and didn't serve any suspensions. He also did really well last season only picking up 1 suspension for two yellow cards away to Bournemouth. For a player who throws himself into challenges like Dunk its a remarkable testament to his maturity, discipline, ability to read the game and timing that he's only missed two premier league games through suspension.

He's developed into better than that though. He no longer really 'throws himself into challenges' anymore - much more controlled and perfectly timed. It's actually quite rare to see him catching players late - quite a lot of his booking seem to me to be semi-deliberate (taking one for the team) rather than the more reckless challenges we knew him for in the championship. Where he does throw himself is in blocks - which are still hugely impressive.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He's developed into better than that though. He no longer really 'throws himself into challenges' anymore - much more controlled and perfectly timed. It's actually quite rare to see him catching players late - quite a lot of his booking seem to me to be semi-deliberate (taking one for the team) rather than the more reckless challenges we knew him for in the championship. Where he does throw himself is in blocks - which are still hugely impressive.

He's developed into a truly fantastic footballer, I'm certainly not suggesting all there is to his game is last ditch, body on the line, throw yourself at the ball challenges. But when he does have to make those challenges he is a lot less likely to give away a foul or get booked because of the way he can now read the game, give himself a bit more space to make that challenge etc.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone notice that Dunk didn't clap the fans as he came off the pitch today?

I think he's leaving.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone notice that Dunk didn't clap the fans as he came off the pitch today?

I think he's leaving.

In fairness, our support was dreadful today. I didn't hear a peep all match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here