Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "If you dive it's a penalty to the opposition"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nothing else seems to stop the likes of Zaha and Townsend going to ground.

Would this work?

[tweet]1104407249206693888[/tweet]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Townsend dives 100%. You just watch him scrape his foot along the floor. There is thigh to thigh contact so prob a pen but he cheated. First angle looked nailed on pen. Second angle looked clear dive. Ref nearly cost us after missing a much much much clearer pen on Duffy in first half. So that’s 2 wins with a man less this season :)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Would this work?

Garth isn't having what? My guess is the answer isn't pie.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Would this work?

Why is Girth Crooks wearing a Google Play badge?
Is there a pundit app available now.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Why is Girth Crooks wearing a Google Play badge?
Is there a pundit app available now.
It's actually a Domino's fast order button

dominos-button-01-2.jpeg

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
You hope VAR will sort it but we know there will still be some incorrect calls. Should always be booked so at least they only do it once a game.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Townsend dives 100%. You just watch him scrape his foot along the floor. There is thigh to thigh contact so prob a pen but he cheated. First angle looked nailed on pen. Second angle looked clear dive. Ref nearly cost us after missing a much much much clearer pen on Duffy in first half. So that’s 2 wins with a man less this season :)
Townsend starts his dive before there’s contact - but difficult for the ref to see

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Var Var Voom......

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Agreed. He starts to jump with trailing leg before contact is made.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think VAR will make this issue largely redundant.

I think the way they are using VAR at the moment, it will throw up a whole lot of new issues -and ultimately kill the game.

Frankly, watching the TV for things the ref might have missed and having a word in his ear would be a better role for the fourth official. But only for major things - not a marginal offside -was his left eye-brow in front of the defender? - or for debating whether that tackle should have been s yellow or a red - just for obvious things that all of us watching a replay on TV can spot a mile off that the ref has completely missed.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
My gut feeling is that under VAR we'd have got a penalty for the assault on Duffy and the Palace one would have stood.

Is the correct answer! However, whilst Duffy assault is easy I'm not convinced that VAR will still be able to spot the distinction between the when the thigh impacts as a result of the movement of the defender
Or when the clever attacker leaves the limb hanging to ensure the impact. Sadly any tackle like that is going to cause you trouble.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
If you handle the ball (cheat) to stop a goal you get a red card. So if you dive and appeal (cheating) for a penalty, you should be awarded a penalty, but if the penalty is scored, the goal is chalked off and the player (cheat) red carded. Both players have cheated to stop or score a goal so both should be sent off.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you handle the ball (cheat) to stop a goal you get a red card. So if you dive and appeal (cheating) for a penalty, you should be awarded a penalty, but if the penalty is scored, the goal is chalked off and the player (cheat) red carded. Both players have cheated to stop or score a goal so both should be sent off.

I’ve read that 3 times and still don’t understand it. Congratulations - it meets all the FIFA criteria! It’ll be in the laws next season.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
As s neutral I thought Townsend dived or at least was on the way down before the contact was made. As it hasn't been challenged by the pundits it has become normalised and therefore the expectation is for players to seek contact in the area. It sits alongside players holding their head or face when replays show that there was no contact anywhere near. Pundits and commentators just go silent on the replays when this is clearly evident. The 'sells' some players get away with make WWE look amateur.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here