Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion 8 Palace 4

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patreon
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I have been doing a bit of research on the league doubles between the sides, and I make it that the OP is right.

CraPFC scored all their four doubles before we notched one over them (20/21, 28/29, 31/32 and 32/33).
So, given those dates, there cannot be that many Palarse fans who have ever seen them do the double over us, nor that many Albion fans who have suffered the inverse. Just sayin'.....

Our doubles occurred in 50/51, 51/52, 55/56, 57/58, 75/76, 80/81, 82/83 and, of course, 2018/19 (Thanks, Chris).

I have actively seen all the games against them for the last two double seasons, and been alive for the two preceding that but, and to my eternal shame and humiliation, was not a supporter then. I expect that there are plenty on here who went to both games in 80/81 and 75/76, but does anyone go further back? Did anyone on here go to any/all games in the four seasons in the fifties? I guess that fans generally did not travel away as much then, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone went to Smellworse back then and can share any memories from the earlier games?

Cheers

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Mind the gap .

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I can't claim to have gone to all of them, but it is possible I went to all of the ones from the 55/56 games and onwards. The reason being, my grandfather and many of my relatives were Palace fans who lived in Croydon and I would attend many games with them between us, home and away. Fortunately, I never lived in Croydon and was brought up on the south coast so I was always Brighton. The thing I remember about Selhurst back then was the ground with the huge banks at each end behind the goals, which at the time was mainly grass banks. Three great Palace players back then stick in my mind as a young boy, were goalkeeper Vic Rouse, forwards John (budgie) Byrne and Cliff Holton. For the Albion my memories of the Goldstone was the little wooden west stand, that mysteriously burnt down on the night they won their first ever promotion and the shooting gallery made of railway sleepers on the corner of the south and west terraces My first Albion hero back then was the bow legged Jimmy Langley, speedy wingers Dennis Gordan, Frankie Howard and legendary to me was the Brighton grammar school boy Adrian Thorne, who scored 5 goals in that promotion winning game against Watford. I have some wonderful memories and some truly bad ones of supporting the Albion and for me the George Curtis era was amongst the worst with his double seasons of relegations. He had this idea we could play with mostly a youth team and hence we suffered a disastrous period in our history that really set us back. But back to Palace games, one of the worst, was a home defeat by them on Boxing Day 1962, when the club spent a lot of money to clear the pitch of ice and snow, using a tar machine hired from the council. It turned out a bad move and Palace beat us 1-2 on a quagmire of a pitch and we ended the season being relegated. Amongst the best was the double over them in 1980/81 season when we won at Selhurst 0-3 and gave ourselves a real chance of staying up for a second season in the old first division at the same time the four points helped in relegating Palace who finished bottom. Then of course our last double this season will be remembered for great goals from Andone an Knockaert which again helped us survive.:)

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Mind the gap .

Is that the gap in wages each club pay players during a season, I can understand how you are worried about how much your club is paying out and how it could endanger your clubs future, especially as the rich section of your owners are trying to get out
Thanks for warning us but at present I think our club has that under control

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
12th or 17th, honestly couldn’t care. If you’re honestly saying you’d rather lose twice to us but finish a few places higher you’re not all there.

She clings to anything she can. That 12th place trophy sits proudly in the franchise 2010 ikea trophy cabinet - it’s in a Sainsbury’s on display along with a sample of the new cladding - well worth a visit.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This seasons double will live with me forever and doing it in the Premier league is especially extra special. I attended both games :rave:

And those goals :drool:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
CraPFC scored all their four doubles before we notched one over them (20/21, 28/29, 31/32 and 32/33).
So, given those dates, there cannot be that many Palarse fans who have ever seen them do the double over us, nor that many Albion fans who have suffered the inverse.
Not many? Their last double was 86 years ago, and you didn't get many kids going to away games back then, so the precise number of fans who've seen Palace do the double over us is zero.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
This seasons double will live with me forever and doing it in the Premier league is especially extra special. I attended both games :rave:

And those goals :drool:

I was there for both, the away win was even more special as it was my birthday.

The stuff of dreams.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Doing the double over them was so perfect. I could not give two hoots that they finished above us it will be irrelevant once the table ticks over in a couple of weeks. Both those games will live long in the memory.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not many? Their last double was 86 years ago, and you didn't get many kids going to away games back then, so the precise number of fans who've seen Palace do the double over us is zero.

Oooh, let's tempt fate, shall we? :rolleyes::facepalm::lolol::thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't claim to have gone to all of them, but it is possible I went to all of the ones from the 55/56 games and onwards. The reason being, my grandfather and many of my relatives were Palace fans who lived in Croydon and I would attend many games with them between us, home and away. Fortunately, I never lived in Croydon and was brought up on the south coast so I was always Brighton. The thing I remember about Selhurst back then was the ground with the huge banks at each end behind the goals, which at the time was mainly grass banks. Three great Palace players back then stick in my mind as a young boy, were goalkeeper Vic Rouse, forwards John (budgie) Byrne and Cliff Holton. For the Albion my memories of the Goldstone was the little wooden west stand, that mysteriously burnt down on the night they won their first ever promotion and the shooting gallery made of railway sleepers on the corner of the south and west terraces My first Albion hero back then was the bow legged Jimmy Langley, speedy wingers Dennis Gordan, Frankie Howard and legendary to me was the Brighton grammar school boy Adrian Thorne, who scored 5 goals in that promotion winning game against Watford. I have some wonderful memories and some truly bad ones of supporting the Albion and for me the George Curtis era was amongst the worst with his double seasons of relegations. He had this idea we could play with mostly a youth team and hence we suffered a disastrous period in our history that really set us back. But back to Palace games, one of the worst, was a home defeat by them on Boxing Day 1962, when the club spent a lot of money to clear the pitch of ice and snow, using a tar machine hired from the council. It turned out a bad move and Palace beat us 1-2 on a quagmire of a pitch and we ended the season being relegated. Amongst the best was the double over them in 1980/81 season when we won at Selhurst 0-3 and gave ourselves a real chance of staying up for a second season in the old first division at the same time the four points helped in relegating Palace who finished bottom. Then of course our last double this season will be remembered for great goals from Andone an Knockaert which again helped us survive.:)

Tremendous post.

I hadn't reaised you were so old. I hope you still go to games. :thumbsup:

My 94 year old cousin of my later departed mum was a regular in the 30s. Sadly it all whooshed her.

I wonder who the oldest reader and earliest attender is on NSC? I'll give it a day for replies then post a thread...... :thumbsup:

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patreon
May 30, 2014
Worthing
With regard to all those doubles our mates up the road have not done over us, got me thinking about a time when they were probably thinking the elusive 6 point haul was there for the taking. Ladies and gentlemen, I take you back to 1986/87........

We were a shambles on and off the pitch, and lost 2-0 on Boxing Day at Smellworse. Before they came south to the Goldstone on April 20th, had played 15 league games of which we won 1, drew 5 and lost 9. Unsurprisingly we were rock bottom of the second tier, going down and we had not won in 12 games. Palace were near the top of the league and pushing for the play offs/promotion. Not sure about their actual form at the time but it was obviously better than ours.

I knew Albion fans who said they were not attending that game for the simple reason that they did not want to see 'them' win down here to complete the double. The crowd was a measly 10k and were treated to a goalless first half. But then Danny Wilson scored and we were hanging on before a late Darren Hughes goal prompted a minor pitch invasion from the south stand. The win did not keep us up, but it is interesting to note CraPFC finished outside the play off positions, some two points adrift. Certainly the win was the highlight of a very bleak season.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here