PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Selhurst Park
Date: Saturday 9th March
Kick-off: 12:30 GMT
Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Lee Betts, Dan Cook
Fourth official: Stuart Attwell

TEAM NEWS

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson has an unchanged squad for Saturday's fixture against fierce rivals Brighton & Hove Albion.

Pape Souare is not ready to return from a dislocated shoulder, while Mamadou Sakho has had a knee operation.

Brighton midfielder Pascal Gross remains out with a hamstring injury but he could be fit for the FA Cup quarter-final at Millwall on 17 March.

Leon Balogun has resumed training following a shoulder problem.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: This is not the oldest of rivalries - it stems from a feud between managers Alan Mullery and Terry Venables following an FA Cup first-round second replay won by Palace in 1976 - but for younger supporters the bitterness matches the most ferocious derbies.

Palace have won only one home league game in six. Brighton have just one point from their last six away. But form means nothing in this.

Few would have foreseen the ease in which the Seagulls ran the Eagles ragged in the home fixture in December. The away side failed to find Wilfried Zaha until too late that day. This'll be different and I can't see Brighton completing a first double in 35 years

But with both sides closing on the likely 36-point safety mark, a draw wouldn't surprise.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson: "It's a derby game really, that's how we and our supporters regard it. I suppose that people from the outside need to realise that we regard this as a very, very important fixture and one which means a lot to our fans.

"You're affected by it, the way the fans feel, that's what derbies do. They fire everybody up because we're so much more aware of what it means to the people who follow us every week."

Chris Hughton: "The fact is we have gone through a difficult spell, [but] overall we have done okay.

"During difficult periods, when you look at the opposition you are against, you have to be mindful of where we have been and that this is only our second season [in the Premier League].

"Certainly we should not get carried away. [Saturday] is a big one for both sets of supporters. Ours will make themselves heard, and it's up to us to reward them for that."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Crystal Palace have won six and lost just one of the last nine home meetings in all competitions.
    [*=left]However, Brighton could complete the league double over Palace for the first time since 1983-84, when they met in the second tier.
Palace

• [*=left]Their tally of 11 points from the past six games has only been bettered by the two Manchester clubs and Arsenal.
    [*=left]Palace have won just one of their last six league fixtures at Selhurst Park. Their overall home record this season is the second worst in the division.
    [*=left]The Eagles have failed to score in half of their 14 home league matches in 2018-19.
    [*=left]There have been just 25 goals scored at Selhurst Park, the fewest of any Premier League ground.
    [*=left]However, Crystal Palace can set a club Premier League record by scoring for the 10th game in a row.
    [*=left]Wilfried Zaha has scored five goals in his last six league games. He has five goals in in nine competitive appearances against Brighton - a career-high against a particular opponent.
    [*=left]This is Roy Hodgson's 300th match as a manager in the English leagues. The first of those fixtures was Bristol City's 0-0 home draw versus Huddersfield Town in the third tier in January 1982.
Albion

• [*=left]Victory over Huddersfield last weekend ended Brighton's seven-game winless league run.
    [*=left]They are looking to secure back-to-back league wins for the first time since December, when they followed up a victory over Huddersfield by beating Palace.
    [*=left]However, Brighton have only earned a solitary point from their past six away fixtures.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have kept only one away league clean sheet since last April.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has scored in each of his last three appearances against Palace, for whom he provided 47 goals in 125 appearances between 2011 and 2015.
    [*=left]Murray needs one goal to become only the second player to score 100 in the league for Brighton, emulating Tommy Cook.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's time.

On behalf of all of us expat Seagulls around the World who'll be tuning in, make sure that you support the boys throughout, whatever the score.

Come on Brighton!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The rain gods have smiled on me after all and it is hissing down.
After dad's taxi duties done plus buttering the Mrs up with an Italian dinner, it will be down the local and I should just about make the 8.30pm kick off.
After spreading the news to the ex pats at the pool comp last night, which I won, it would seem that there will be quite a gathering in all their team shirts, no Palarse supporters drink there that god.:bhasign:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
The rain gods have smiled on me after all and it is hissing down.
After dad's taxi duties done plus buttering the Mrs up with an Italian dinner, it will be down the local and I should just about make the 8.30pm kick off.
After spreading the news to the ex pats at the pool comp last night, which I won, it would seem that there will be quite a gathering in all their team shirts, no Palarse supporters drink there that god.:bhasign:

That's an absolute classic kick off time there . 130 am for me . I get excited with a 745pm Friday kick off as that's sat morning 845 for me and best I can hope for .

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Random thoughts to kill time this morning. Anyone else done all 4 sides of Selhurst whilst watching the Albion: Terry Waite deathtrap; Supermarket Sweep; Eric Cantona stand and the Homeboy terrace?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
That's an absolute classic kick off time there . 130 am for me . I get excited with a 745pm Friday kick off as that's sat morning 845 for me and best I can hope for .

Lunchtime kick offs are great here and on the last one there must have been about 30 ex pats in their team shirts there.
It turned out to be quite a night, though the staff did get a bit touchy when we targeted the Scunthorpe supporter with a particular song.:lolol:
He is Glenn Murray's cousin.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Random thoughts to kill time this morning. Anyone else done all 4 sides of Selhurst whilst watching the Albion: Terry Waite deathtrap; Supermarket Sweep; Eric Cantona stand and the Homeboy terrace?
I've done 3 out of 4 not the eamon homes stand

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
5 hours difference between Perth and Wellington but only an extra 3 to London? How does that work?

It’s not that far out. London is 0 degrees latitude, Perth is 115 degrees east and Wellington is 175 degrees east. Roughly speaking you’d expect the time difference from London to Perth to be twice the time difference between Perth and Wellington. If the time difference between Perth and Wellington was 4 hours instead of 5 it would line up exactly.

Edit: Wellington and Perth are over 3000 miles apart.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Heading into Siem Reap town in an hour or so to line my stomach with a fat steak! Then to the local sports bar for a 19:30 kick off local time. Whatever happens I’m in for an epic night on the piss!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here