Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is it WRONG to refer to Palace vs Albion as the M23 Derby?

Is it WRONG to refer to Palace v Albion as M23 Derby?

• Yes, yes it is

Votes: 118 73.8%
  • No, no it isn't

Votes: 42 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Judging by BBS i think you are talking bollox.[/QUOTE

Keyboard warriors . Put it this way , if we meet at Wembley there might be a few Brighton wanting trouble if it were Millwall it would be all of them....

Yes but that's got nothing to do with the identity of Millwall's opposition. Danny Baker does profess a dislike of you lot, but a dog will bark at any postman.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Where’s the option for “f***, yes, it is. Anyone who thinks it’s ok should be shot”?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Should be A23 derby, it bloody stops at Pease Pottage FFS

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It shouldn't be a derby, there, I've said it. We're 46 miles apart!

Crawley is only 26 miles.

Is Brentford v Watford a derby, no, and that's only 20 miles.

I do agree to a point, but Ipswich v Norwich is further apart, as is El Classico further apart - so I don't think distance is the issue. More the mis-labelling and people not 'getting' it, probably because it isn't as publicised as rivalries that are further apart (see Man U/Leeds for example).

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Judging by BBS i think you are talking bollox.[/QUOTE

Keyboard warriors . Put it this way , if we meet at Wembley there might be a few Brighton wanting trouble if it were Millwall it would be all of them....

Be - honest if it was just Milwall they would all still want trouble......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You don't really have to go any further than this post, apart from to state that the M23 is also a fair few miles from Selhurst Park as well. Has anybody worked out how many miles shorter the M23 is from the A23 route?

The M23 is 17 miles.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It's a derby - I don't care what it's called but it's a derby match. Even on this thread people are saying 'well, it's a bit further than your average trek for your Duke of Edinburgh award' So what? Ipswich and Norwich are further apart. Swansea and Cardiff are further apart and Liverpool and Manchester are similar distances. Are any of those not derbies because it's not a motorway end to end or there are roadworks on the M52 or that it's not walkable for the local ramblers?

This portrayal that Croydon to Brighton is like a trek up the North Face of the Eiger is utter horse shit.
Ipswich v Norwich and Swansea v Cardiff a derbies given the location (a lot of country) and no other clubs. Liverpool v United is a strong rivalry but most supporters would say their respective city sharers is derby day.

To me Brighton v Palace is a rivalry as no one wants to actually have Palace as a dancing party for the Derby given they are in London and close to so many clubs in relation to Brighton and Brighton do not have a close professional club other than Crawley. If you and Crawley spent a lot more time in the same leagues that would certainly be a derby today, but as you dont have much history with each other its not.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Oi! I’m in the Caravan (& Motorhome) Club!

Very nice people we are too.

Me too....... but I do have motorhome rather than a nigelmobile.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Let's confuse everyone and call it the M62 Derby.

Oi! I’m in the Caravan (& Motorhome) Club!

Very nice people we are too.

Me too....... but I do have motorhome rather than a nigelmobile.
Maybe this would bring out the caravanner in you... Screenshot_20190202-183046.png

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ipswich v Norwich and Swansea v Cardiff a derbies given the location (a lot of country) and no other clubs. Liverpool v United is a strong rivalry but most supporters would say their respective city sharers is derby day.

To me Brighton v Palace is a rivalry as no one wants to actually have Palace as a dancing party for the Derby given they are in London and close to so many clubs in relation to Brighton and Brighton do not have a close professional club other than Crawley. If you and Crawley spent a lot more time in the same leagues that would certainly be a derby today, but as you dont have much history with each other its not.

Ask any Liverpool fan who they want to beat and it's Man utd. Ask any Man utd fan who they want to beat and it's Liverpool. It's not Everton or Man city. Your a Sunderland fan. Newcastle is closer than Middlesbrough (without checking) but the other way round, Newcastle would still be your rival.

Sky seem to want us to hate Bournemouth. That's not how it is. A rivalry has history and a proximity. We hate Palace and Palace hate us. That's how a derby works - It's the most important game of your season irrespective that Huddersfield last week was actually more important in the cold light of day for us. I don't hate Crawley because they haven't broken Gerry Ryan's leg, had 4 penalties in one game or knocked us out the play offs.

A derby is a derby because it matters to both sets of supporters. What anyone else thinks about it or calls it is irrelevant.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
M23 Derby? So Palace are playing Crawley?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No, you carry on, mate. Personally I don't mind it either (even though resident pedants note that it should actually be called the 'A23 turning temporarily into the M23' derby :rolleyes:) :thumbsup:

Well, I think you could avoid using the M23 and carry on along the A23 if you chose. Equally if you preferred to name it after the railway it would be the Brighton line derby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here