Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Important story on the Shoreham disaster today - *update, petition to stop Andy Hill flying*

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just seen it on the TV. Lovely looking metal sculpture. Nice memorial.

Pedalled past today...one arch for each that died

CD1A2CA7-76F4-483C-BDD4-2E83DA570F05.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Walk along here at least once a week and been wondering what it would look like. Very good.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A nice memorial, just totally wrong location to me.
Interesting, how so?

I assumed it was here because the bridge has been a place of remembrance for the victims, with gatherings, a name stone and flowers left regularly. There was a temporary memorial board in this location for a while too. It appears to be the place people wish to come and remember their lost loved ones. Seems to have happened naturally so a rather fitting place for a permanent memorial I would have thought?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The toll bridge is an iconic historic part of old Shoreham. 1/4mile from the crash site. Granted, a memorial to those lost because of. some dickhead showing off and ****ing up can't really be sighted exactly,on location, it's just in the wrong place and undermines local history, which is ancient and significant.

My opinion says, when They build IKEA and whatever, they have slip roads with an overpass (not a roundabout) and the bridge gets the names/tribute . . .and/or an arch, to both, at a sub roundabout, south side of the a27, everyone entering the site will see, and it will be on the walkway east west . . . . .

Interesting, how so?

I assumed it was here because the bridge has been a place of remembrance for the victims, with gatherings, a name stone and flowers left regularly. There was a temporary memorial board in this location for a while too. It appears to be the place people wish to come and remember their lost loved ones. Seems to have happened naturally so a rather fitting place for a permanent memorial I would have thought?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The toll bridge is an iconic historic part of old Shoreham. 1/4mile from the crash site. Granted, a memorial to those lost because of. some dickhead showing off and ****ing up can't really be sighted exactly,on location, it's just in the wrong place and undermines local history, which is ancient and significant.

My opinion says, when They build IKEA and whatever, they have slip roads with an overpass (not a roundabout) and the bridge gets the names/tribute . . .and/or an arch, to both, at a sub roundabout, south side of the a27, everyone entering the site will see, and it will be on the walkway east west . . . . .

I’m not sure it undermines the amazing history but I see what you’re saying. I think the spot they have placed it is nice and quiet and lends itself to silent reflection as oppose to the new roads and roundabouts that will be going up, which will be busy thoroughfares and perhaps not so suited to contemplation and remembrance.
The slew of Benidorm style blocks of flats engulfing Shoreham is doing more damage to our town in my opinion.
But yes, I get your take on it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m not sure it undermines the amazing history but I see what you’re saying. I think the spot they have placed it is nice and quiet and lends itself to silent reflection as oppose to the new roads and roundabouts that will be going up, which will be busy thoroughfares and perhaps not so suited to contemplation and remembrance.
The slew of Benidorm style blocks of flats engulfing Shoreham is doing more damage to our town in my opinion.

I think we're aligned generally, perhaps a memorial should actually be at the airport. They started it it! And frankly, it's always been a commercial airport, and has minimal significance in anything else.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Without glorifying the incident, surely it will be part of Shorehams local history in years to come, although not ancient.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And they're all personalised to reflect the different personalities of each of the victims. One has cat motifs because the person it commemorates was a cat lover and one has seagulls motifs because he supported the Albion.

Ah thanks for that ..i notice the various attachments but didn’t know what they signified

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I guess there is also the significance of the outpouring of emotion etc by people laying flowers on the toll bridge ..it became a shrine ...so next to it and within sight of the airport along with what you said makes sense.....accessibility being key.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here