Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Talking at gigs and theatre

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Went to see James at Margate Winter Gardens on Wednesday night, great show, but the early acoustic session was ruined by some knobheads who decided this was the right time to have a chat, which could be heard over the music, and could clearly be heard on stage as Tim Booth pulled them up on it.

I have also been to the theatre and witnessesthe same thing.

Why do people do it, spend good money to go to a show then chat to their mates and **** anybody else...

I know people often say this with regards football matches, “I’ve paid my entry fee, what’s the problem?”, but does it carry over to other entertainment forms?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Lack of manners - unless audience participation is part of the production you should always be quiet at the theatre. I was in the West End once and the lady in front of us phone rang and she then answered it to have a conversation! Stewards had a word but she was unapologetic. :rolleyes:

Less clear at a music event, though if music is low volume or of a certain type (i.e. classical), you should be quiet too. Think you can get away with talking at a rock concert! ;)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Last week I went to the Dukes to watch a film. There was a couple in front of me and the woman was talking consistently, she was asked by 3 different people (including myself) to shut up. She was eventually asked to leave, when she got up in a huff I was amazed to see she was around mid 40s and her embarrassed partner looked mortified. Who honestly thinks it is ok to talk in the cinema?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Lack of manners - unless audience participation is part of the production you should always be quiet at the theatre. I was in the West End once and the lady in front of us phone rang and she then answered it to have a conversation! Stewards had a word but she was unapologetic. :rolleyes:

Less clear at a music event, though if music is low volume or of a certain type (i.e. classical), you should be quiet too. Think you can get away with talking at a rock concert! ;)

Agree with most of that, but this was during their low key acoustic set. The same idiots could have shouted at each other during the main set, as it was loud VERY loud!!!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure if we always agree on things but with you on this.

Whilst the 'talkers' might have had paid their money so has everyone else and it does not give them the right to ruin everyone else's night. Generally its the support act that get talked over but did have it when I saw Ed Sheeran at Brighton Centre.

Saw Passenger at the Dome and support act Lucy Rose said she was pleased that the audience had actually been listening to her music as other venues the ignoring/talking had been really bad. I thought the talking was actually quite bad so god knows what is was like at other places.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep. Unacceptable.

Also, talking loudly at the football about what was on the telly last night or (worse) about some other team playing on Sly days earlier. FFS.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It happens at home too.
When I am watching something I am watching it.
My young'un will come home after an evening out and although she can see we are watching something, she will start a full on conversation.
I will huff and put the program or whatever on pause, so she and mum can get it over and done with.
She looks at me as if I have two heads and just does not get it.
I don't watch much on the old box, but when I do I am watching it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Went to a Seu Jorge (Brazilian musician) gig at the Dome a few years ago and there were a lot of Brazilians in the audience chatting. He actually stopped playing and berated them in Portuguese to shut up and listen. Good on him!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It happens at home too.
When I am watching something I am watching it.
My young'un will come home after an evening out and although she can see we are watching something, she will start a full on conversation.
I will huff and put the program or whatever on pause, so she and mum can get it over and done with.
She looks at me as if I have two heads and just does not get it.
I don't watch much on the old box, but when I do I am watching it.

Constant annoyance with Mrs P on that one. She deems it perfectly acceptable to talk to me if I am watching something I want to watch, but woe betide me if I dare to speak to her during Corro, TOWIE, First Dates or any of the other absolute shite she watches!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s ignorant but unfortunately happens at every gig I go to these days.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It’s ignorant but unfortunately happens at every gig I go to these days.

Yep. I first encountered it at the Ocean Rooms about a decade ago and the person I asked to pipe down accused me of being “so rude”!

When I saw Alice Russell at the Komedia, it seemed like I was the only one not talking loudly to the person next to me. I got the tight hump that night and have pretty much given up on small gigs since.

I go to listen to the music. If I wanted to just chat with my mates, I’d go somewhere I don’t need to pay an entrance fee!

On the other hand, we were rebuked by a German bloke in one of the lounges on the Queen Mary 2 because he wanted to listen to the music being played at the time. I’m not so clear on that one but generally think that musicians playing in bars are just background noise - even though I enjoy listening to them, too.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I hate people videoing or taking photos on their phones at a gig. I don't pay good money to spend most of the gig shifting my head so I can see past some **** who had decided to video each number on her iphone XXXL.

It's not ok in the theatre, at comedy gigs or at the cinema but for some reason ok at music venues.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We went to see the brilliant Stan & Ollie movie at the Odean Brighton in January, where a large group of young men spoilt the first half by constantly shouting out, with fake over the top laughs.

Friends who go to loads of O2 and Wembley gigs told me that half the punters these days are holding their phones up videoing and taking pics. Borne out by the look at me, first to post on Instagram pics. Before social media and smart phones, people used to literally enjoy the moment.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I hate people videoing or taking photos on their phones at a gig. I don't pay good money to spend most of the gig shifting my head so I can see past some **** who had decided to video each number on her iphone XXXL.

It's not ok in the theatre, at comedy gigs or at the cinema but for some reason ok at music venues.

Never quite understood it at football either. Although I admit it's quite handy when people video goals at away matches when I'm not there :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I only ever go to small gigs. Usually its great. Protomartyr in Deal last year was excellent. But they are loud. When me and Mrs T went to see Ulrich Schnauss in Oxford last year, some twunts at the bar were loudly conversing - this is German ambient electro here....eventually someone did tell them to pipe down and they left. Hooray.

Stadium gigs were always a nightmare and I would rather sit through a 'young conservative', or 'momentum' meeting than watch anything at the O2 or suchlike.

To be fair, where I sit in WU, it is rare that anyone wants to chat aimlessly during a game. I remember some drivel in the Gordon Road stand at Gillingham, back in the dog days, but frankly listening to someone going on about their week in Lanzarote was generally more interesting that watching our clueless numpties attempt and fail for the 30th time to string three passes together.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
... when out of phone power, in a tough-talking monologue about a fake multi £m property deal.

I used to hate the ones that would spend their entire journey talking on the phone loud enough so everyone could hear and then as they got into the station said "gotta go, my train has just got in".

Was almost a daily occurrence between London Bridge at East Croydon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here