Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Talking at gigs and theatre

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Not sure if we always agree on things but with you on this.

Whilst the 'talkers' might have had paid their money so has everyone else and it does not give them the right to ruin everyone else's night. Generally its the support act that get talked over but did have it when I saw Ed Sheeran at Brighton Centre.

Saw Passenger at the Dome and support act Lucy Rose said she was pleased that the audience had actually been listening to her music as other venues the ignoring/talking had been really bad. I thought the talking was actually quite bad so god knows what is was like at other places.

Anyone in the same room as Sheeran has already had their evening ruined.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saw Fun Lovin' Criminals last night, it wasn't the best show I've been to, but the level of peoples voices between songs was ridiculous, and the people holding conversations during songs was equally annoying. There was a couple of people heckling the band, largely it seemed because Huey was suffering from a broken foot and had to do the show seated. A knob head somewhere near us kept shouting at him to stand up, and another idiot on the other side of the crow was barracking him between pretty much every song resulting in a number of replies from Huey along the lines of shut the **** up.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
"People" talking at gigs, cinema and theatre really wind me up, as do those who have to take video/multiple pictures at gigs and ruin the view for those behind them.

What is the point of going to see or experience something live and then doing so via three inches of phone screen! Stay home or go to a bar and chat if you wish, or watch a video of the event on YouTube or something! :rant::censored:

I went to see Fatboy Slim at Manchester Arena last week.

He was brilliant - but he's DJ and still people were doing the phone video thing. Not even a live band.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Went to see GoGo Penguin last year at Concorde2 but got there a touch too late to be able to snake my way through the crowd to the middle so ended up at the back. Think I gave it half hour and decided to f**k off home because all I could hear was pissed people yammering away.

Why in the shit would you pay £15-20 for a ticket, for anything, and then not pay attention to the thing you'd paid for? It's absolutely baffling to me.

That and people filming it on their phones. F**k off with that as well. I don't want to watch the band through your sodding phone camera so put your arm down before I break it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I went to a gig by the Blues Band a few years ago at the Wedgwood Rooms in Portsmouth. They were doing an acoustic set followed by an electric set. During the first half there were a couple of blokes standing at the side conversing quite loudly and to the obvious annoyance of just about everyone else in the place.

During the second or third number, Paul Jones actually stopped playing turned to them and had a right go at them - polite but very firm - that the vast majority of people in the room had come to listen to the music, that these two individuals were being very rude to everyone else and very disrespectful to the Band, that no-one else was interested in what they were talking about and, if they wanted to continue their conversation could they please go elsewhere.

He got a very loud cheer and applause, and they shut up.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Had this last week at a concert, WHY the hell would you pay to go and watch a band to then proceed to do what they have probably just done for 2 hours and talk right through it? They get louder and louder as the gig goes on. Wankers

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I went to a gig by the Blues Band a few years ago at the Wedgwood Rooms in Portsmouth. They were doing an acoustic set followed by an electric set. During the first half there were a couple of blokes standing at the side conversing quite loudly and to the obvious annoyance of just about everyone else in the place.

During the second or third number, Paul Jones actually stopped playing turned to them and had a right go at them - polite but very firm - that the vast majority of people in the room had come to listen to the music, that these two individuals were being very rude to everyone else and very disrespectful to the Band, that no-one else was interested in what they were talking about and, if they wanted to continue their conversation could they please go elsewhere.

He got a very loud cheer and applause, and they shut up.

This pretty much mirrors my James experience, Tim Booth wasn't a happy man.

I am shocked by how many people have had similar experiences!

Jul 7, 2003
I was at the Komedia last year for a comedy gig and a couple on the table behind were chatting away quite loudly. I thought they would stop as the headliner got going but they just carried on and it was getting hard to hear the gags. I was just about to turn around and ask them politely to be quiet when another bloke beat me to it but was not quite so polite - "either shut the F**k up or **** off out of here you annoying c***s!" Glad to say they chose the latter option and walked out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We went to see A Christmas Carol at The Spire, Eastern Road, Brighton in December 17. Very atmospheric in an old church in the dark, a lovely event, except for a bunch of possibly 18 years behind us taking the piss out of the cast and audience. Not delinquents, but an arrogant posh boy with female mates.

Would loved to have told him to shut the f*ck up, but as he was sitting right behind me, in honesty it would’ve ruined it more, plus in the acoustic surroundings my reaction would have been heard by all.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
We went to see A Christmas Carol at The Spire, Eastern Road, Brighton in December 17. Very atmospheric in an old church in the dark, a lovely event, except for a bunch of possibly 18 years behind us taking the piss out of the cast and audience. Not delinquents, but an arrogant posh boy with female mates.

Would loved to have told him to shut the f*ck up, but as he was sitting right behind me, in honesty it would’ve ruined it more, plus in the acoustic surroundings my reaction would have been heard by all.

From Brighton College probably.

The Spire is a great venue, should be used more

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
You used to be able to buy a phone jammer in Hong Kong apparently that would cut everybody's phone off. Highly illegal here of course but I always wanted one - would have been so much use !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You used to be able to buy a phone jammer in Hong Kong apparently that would cut everybody's phone off. Highly illegal here of course but I always wanted one - would have been so much use !

Would be so funny. How would some people cope without their intravenous drip of social media for 2 hours? The gig or show would part empty out in no time at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here