Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] After life

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
After watching all 6, I think I'm somewhere down the middle. Decent enough. The comedy's not nearly as good as Derek's, however the drama is definitely better observed and more mature, with less clunky dialogue or plot.

Gervais first attempt at a genuine drama in my opinion. Not bad.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
In this day and age, being offended by a word, swearword or not, is a bit precious.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Is the N-word back on the table now then?

Youre welcome to try it.
However, you know what i mean.. words like the F word, and the C word, the sort of words that we are talking about in this thread... well, they are words. Not directed at somebodies ethnic origin in order to offend them.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Youre welcome to try it.
However, you know what i mean.. words like the F word, and the C word, the sort of words that we are talking about in this thread... well, they are words. Not directed at somebodies ethnic origin in order to offend them.

Yeah I just took your words at face value :shrug:

My girlfriend's mum doesn't like the C word at all. I don't see that as being 'precious' personally. She doesn't like something and that's up to her. I just don't use it around her.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Yeah I just took your words at face value :shrug:

My girlfriend's mum doesn't like the C word at all. I don't see that as being 'precious' personally. She doesn't like something and that's up to her. I just don't use it around her.

Its understandable, my mother would be horrified to hear me use it, but then she is 96. We live in different times. We hear swear words every single day of our lives when you think about it. Hearing it on the tv shouldnt really be a big deal

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Very good, my BSc must have come by accident.
I think that some people, not all, pretend to like something so they feel better about themselves and fit in.
I don't find Ricky funny and I think that Shakespeare plays are tedious in their original format, just my opinion.
For that matter I also think that Freddie Mercury was an average singer.
That is what I think and you can take it or leave it.
My response to the response was to demonstrate that it is easy to reply with abuse when it wasn't warranted in the first place, just didn't think it would need an explanation.
Now jog along.

Nope. You're wrong. You said that anyone who likes Shakespeare is just saying that they do because of pressure from society.

Just because YOU don't get Shakespeare doesn't mean that millions of people are wrong. It's just you not getting it. Which is fine. I love Shakespeare and most people I know probably don't even know that.

Don't tell people what they should or shouldn't enjoy is my motto. Doesn't prevent me calling stuff shit like Mrs Brown's Boys, Casualty, Michael McIntyre, Coronation Street, Harry Potter, Crystal Palace, Dr Who, Piers Morgan....

I can't stand Charles Dickens (Muppet Christmas Carol aside) but I don't try to belittle everyone who loves his work.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I've seen 5 episodes so far and am quite enjoying it. The only thing I do find with it is that with some exchanges characters have with Ricky it just seems like he's reading the script. Some parts don't seem to flow very naturally but some parts are really funny.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Very good, my BSc must have come by accident.
I think that some people, not all, pretend to like something so they feel better about themselves and fit in.
I don't find Ricky funny and I think that Shakespeare plays are tedious in their original format, just my opinion.
For that matter I also think that Freddie Mercury was an average singer.
That is what I think and you can take it or leave it.
My response to the response was to demonstrate that it is easy to reply with abuse when it wasn't warranted in the first place, just didn't think it would need an explanation.
Now jog along.

How dare you! Freddie Mercury was not an average singer!

He was a bad singer.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Despite the dog appearing in half of the whole series, not once did Tony pick up the dog's turd. A terrible dereliction of duty as a dog owner.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've watched episode 1, and i don't think i'll go back in until May, when i have some time on my own, and just motor through it to get it out of the way. I'll be on the exercise bike at the time, in front of the box, and wonder what the mild adrenalin rush will do in combat with the unstoppable dreariness of what i have thus far seen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You can't please everyone though, can you? As I said, I think a lot of the swearing he uses adds something to the comedy. I fully understand you don't share that opinion and I have no issue with that.

What I do have issue with is talking about "the truly great comedians of the past that never needed to swear." It just seems like a typical "everything was better in the good old days" attitude.

Quite. Anyway, the comedians of "yesteryear" did do very blue material. George Formby was filth. But it was within the context of the times. Some of the stuff older comedians did was the equivalent of saying the c word nowadays.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've watched episode 1, and i don't think i'll go back in until May, when i have some time on my own, and just motor through it to get it out of the way. I'll be on the exercise bike at the time, in front of the box, and wonder what the mild adrenalin rush will do in combat with the unstoppable dreariness of what i have thus far seen.

You probably need to steer clear really for your mental health mate.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really enjoyed it. I watched the first 2 one night, then binged the last 4 the night after. Its well written, the characters are quirky and enjoyable, and I found myself having a great deal of empathy with Tony. Its certainly a cut above the usual dross you get on mainstream TV trying to pass itself off as comedy. I'm looking forward to the second series, although now he's had his non-ar5ehole epiphany, I'm not quite sure where he'll go with it from here.

Gervais is a hugely talented writer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here