Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] After life

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Started to watch it, but have had to stop due to the fact my neighbours have some sort of pet reptile and its food seems to have escaped, and have been chasing 3 weird looking critters around my flat. Programe looks ok as a gentle watch

Just how strong is this skunk Dave ?

Stumpy Tim

Banged through all 6 episodes today. Absolutely loved it! I'm a big fan of The Office & Extras, didn't like Derek at all. Though After Life is very very dark, it's also got a LOT of laugh out loud moments. Really enjoyed it

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Watched all of them today in cosy lounge while the wind and rain did it's thing outside. A lot of this was a bit close to home for me so I had to steel myself but I liked it on the whole. Good casting. Laid it all on a bit thick in the last episode but rated it overall.

A good series.

6.5/10

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Maybe it's me, but I just don't get the Ricky Gervaise humour thing, don't find any of it funny, so tend to avoid it.
Reminds me of Shakespeare plays, nobody likes or gets them, but everybody seems to 'love' them when questioned..
I suppose if your are told enough times that something is good then you tend to fall into step.

You're not alone in not getting the Ricky Gervase thing.

Don't agree about Shakespeare, though. Just reading them is one thing. Seeing a quality production of One of the plays which can really bring the meaning out is very different.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Binging now and it’s superb, best thing he’s done in ages and a superb supporting cast.

Yep, done the first 4 , really enjoyed it, like you say superb supporting cast.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Not many comedies are as close to the bone as After life.I think it’s genius but that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Banged through all 6 episodes today. Absolutely loved it! I'm a big fan of The Office & Extras, didn't like Derek at all. Though After Life is very very dark, it's also got a LOT of laugh out loud moments. Really enjoyed it

I did the same this evening, banged through all 6 episodes. Loved it, it has both humour and pathos. SOme will love it, some will hate it I guess but I sat for 3 hours and was thoroughly entertained.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
What a stupid ****ing statement, I like Gervies, Not everything he does ticks all the boxes but a good portion of it.

I really dont get whats hard to get, If you have ever spent 5 mins in the office, its bloody hilarious, Extras was great too and the first couple of his stand ups very good. Looking forward to seeing what its all about.

As for Shakespear you are wrong again too, I hated studying it, but I have enjoyed watching a couple of plays and films over the years.

Maybe just because you dont like it or get it doesnt mean other people dont. Opinions isnt it!

It is my ****ing opinion, to which I am ****ing entitled to, so **** off.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
It is my ****ing opinion, to which I am ****ing entitled to, so **** off.

If you forward your opinion in a way which suggests those who don't think the same are idiots without a mind of their own (your last sentence) then people will rightly call both you and the post stupid. Not that difficult but your reply above would suggest you might struggle with engaging your brain.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If you forward your opinion in a way which suggests those who don't think the same are idiots without a mind of their own (your last sentence) then people will rightly call both you and the post stupid. Not that difficult but your reply above would suggest you might struggle with engaging your brain.

Very good, my BSc must have come by accident.
I think that some people, not all, pretend to like something so they feel better about themselves and fit in.
I don't find Ricky funny and I think that Shakespeare plays are tedious in their original format, just my opinion.
For that matter I also think that Freddie Mercury was an average singer.
That is what I think and you can take it or leave it.
My response to the response was to demonstrate that it is easy to reply with abuse when it wasn't warranted in the first place, just didn't think it would need an explanation.
Now jog along.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Watched all of them today in cosy lounge while the wind and rain did it's thing outside. A lot of this was a bit close to home for me so I had to steel myself but I liked it on the whole. Good casting. Laid it all on a bit thick in the last episode but rated it overall.

A good series.

6.5/10

I'd agree with this. As with all his stuff it was very watchable. Recognised quite a few lines from his various stand up routines but it was sweet, fairly funny and good natured. He does need a good co-writer or script editor though so that it just doesn't sound like Ricky Gervais putting all his opinions down and calling it a script. But definitely worth a watch.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm watching at the moment, 3 episodes in. It is very funny, tragically sad and expands on Ricky's current "who cares, I'm going to die!" mantra. It lacks the real depth of the characters in The Office and Extras, so far, but it's entertaining and emotional.

Also, Ricky Gervais on the True Geordie podcast is fantastic entertainment;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp202GZzD9Q

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not much of a fan of Gervais these days. Office was ok, I didn't love it, but enjoyed some bits of it. I enjoyed his hosting of the Golden Globes, I quite liked ghost town. But his global success seems to have changed his focus.

But he seems to have grown more focused on causing outrage solely to offend people so he can tell them how wrong they are to be offended. For me, outrage is fine, offence is fine when it is a side effect of something, but when it is the driving force of what you're doing it becomes shallow and petty, and like you're more concerned with the critics than with your audience. It's like his whole act has become "OH? You're 'offended? Well I don't care about you being offended, you being offended means nothing to me. I'm just going to dedicate myself to making sure I offend you more. Because I don't care about you being offended, like."

As for this show in particular, I keep seeing an advert on twitter where someone asks him which five people, dead or alive, who he'd go for, and he replies dead - see? It's funny 'cos he doesn't like people! And I just think that is such an old joke and that's the one they're using to sell the show to me? I'll pass.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Very good, my BSc must have come by accident.
I think that some people, not all, pretend to like something so they feel better about themselves and fit in.
I don't find Ricky funny and I think that Shakespeare plays are tedious in their original format, just my opinion.
For that matter I also think that Freddie Mercury was an average singer.
That is what I think and you can take it or leave it.
My response to the response was to demonstrate that it is easy to reply with abuse when it wasn't warranted in the first place, just didn't think it would need an explanation.
Now jog along.

More a way of pretending to think you’re oh so special and unique; plenty of other people don’t like Gervais or Shakespeare. They hand those out to anyone these days anyways ;)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As for this show in particular, I keep seeing an advert on twitter where someone asks him which five people, dead or alive, who he'd go for, and he replies dead - see? It's funny 'cos he doesn't like people! And I just think that is such an old joke and that's the one they're using to sell the show to me? I'll pass.

Which five people he'd go for as dinner guests.

Jul 7, 2003
Not been a fan of RGs more recent stuff but thought I'd give this a try tonight as nothing on until Partridge and now up to episode three.

Have been pleasantly surprised at this. Bit close to the edge at times but the main character reminds me of a friend and the supporting cast are very good. Not great but better than a lot of the comedy that is on TV at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here