Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Amber Rudd used the word “coloured”

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Correct. Racism is something said with intent, not the clumsy use of an antiquated term in error.

Exactly. People seem to forget there's context involved.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What is racist about Rudds comment ? Using the word coloured ? Would it have been ok if she had said black instead of coloured ?

Have a look at the little jester icon at the end of my comment. Consider yourself whooshed!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
2019. Context and intent can do one.

A simple apology ? I don't think so.

Burn her.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So she is sticking up for Diane Abbott, who whatever colour she is is a bloody disaster area, and Abbott ignores the message and turns it against her for some political point scoring!

I think that says far more about dianne Abbott than it does about amber rudd.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
The term’ coloured’ was used as a derogatory racist term in the US. It was also used in South Africa to describe racial groups who weren’t Black or White, therefore it is seen as derogatory to use it against any person of colour today. If you’re a White person and can’t understand why this is seen as offensive by non-White people, perhaps, just don’t use that term.
Unless, of course you want to offend.

Let me get this straight...

Okay... so is the 'coloured' part the offensive word? Saying that the persons skin is coloured. A fact (as it is indeed pigmented) but has indeed been used in a derogatory way historically, which therefore makes it offensive on some level - even in the modern day. I get that.

So, and this is the bit I don't understand, why is 'woman of colour' entirely acceptable - and 'coloured woman' is completely unacceptable? Same actual word, same meaning... Neither of which I've ever seen hurled at someone as part of a barrage of vitriol. Have you?

And don't get me started on the word 'Nigga' - where it's THE most vehemently racist terminology you could ever use (which I agree is absolutely the case by the way) - yet 'people of colour' (?) say it as often as the word 'and' in America to describe themselves and their friends and nobody bats an eyelid??

The world is a confusing place these days, for sure.

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The term’ coloured’ was used as a derogatory racist term in the US. It was also used in South Africa to describe racial groups who weren’t Black or White, therefore it is seen as derogatory to use it against any person of colour today. If you’re a White person and can’t understand why this is seen as offensive by non-White people, perhaps, just don’t use that term.
Unless, of course you want to offend.

To be honest, I don’t know what does and doesn’t offend anymore. I genuinely mean that, I live in fear of offending someone without realising it.

And since when did black and white need to have capital letters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
STONE HER!

And her family, friends and anybody she's known through out her life.

This is right up there with murder and bumping into someones parked car and not leaving your details under the windscreen wiper. :angry:

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
.....I live in fear of offending someone without realising it.

Which can lead to people thinking "you know what - I can't be arsed, I'll just keep out of his/her way just in case I say something wrong. I'll talk to him/her when I have to, and say as little as possible."

... and that's how to breed resentment.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Let me get this straight...

Okay... so is the 'coloured' part the offensive word? Saying that the persons skin is coloured. A fact (as it is indeed pigmented) but has indeed been used in a derogatory way historically, which therefore makes it offensive on some level - even in the modern day. I get that.

So, and this is the bit I don't understand, why is 'woman of colour' entirely acceptable - and 'coloured woman' is completely unacceptable? Same actual word, same meaning... Neither of which I've ever seen hurled at someone as part of a barrage of vitriol. Have you?

And don't get me started on the word 'Nigga' - where it's THE most vehemently and disgustingly racist terminology you could ever use (which I agree is absolutely the case by the way) - yet 'people of colour' (?) say it as often as the word 'and' in America and nobody bats an eyelid??

The world is a confusing place these days, for sure.

It’s not for you(I assume you’re white coloured) or me to decide what black people can or can’t find offensive. I can remember when the words ‘****** and paki’ were used quite freely in society, as well as words like spade, sooty, wog and coon. Fortunately, these appear to have been consigned to the dustbin of history by the more intelligent amongst us.

I think the use of the word nigga in (mainly) America, is the same as homosexual people reclaiming the word queer, so that it is not seen so much as an insult, along the same lines of us singing “ You’re too ugly to be gay” when opposition fans come out with the tired old homophobic songs about our club.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would agree if it were almost any other profession other than a politician.

It is literally her job to represent the public. It's her job to be mindful of the things she is saying. If she is using a racist term publicly then she is not fit to do her job, simple as that.

But most concerning for me is that it is likely a fruedian slip, as she will know full well that it is a racist term, and uses it anyway. It is also likely to offer an insight into the kind of company she keeps where it acceptable to use this kind of language.

I have to say i completely disagree with you. I have lots of mates from Africa etc and they are not bothered by this fake racism at all. They often have real racism to deal with.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Who gives a **** if she didn’t mean offends... I mean reeeeeeeallly?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It’s not for you(I assume you’re white coloured) or me to decide what black people can or can’t find offensive. I can remember when the words ‘****** and paki’ were used quite freely in society, as well as words like spade, sooty, wog and coon. Fortunately, these appear to have been consigned to the dustbin of history by the more intelligent amongst us.

I think the use of the word nigga in (mainly) America, is the same as homosexual people reclaiming the word queer, so that it is not seen so much as an insult, along the same lines of us singing “ You’re too ugly to be gay” when opposition fans come out with the tired old homophobic songs about our club.

You are completely wrong.

Try sitting in the back of a New York taxi and listening to some things the drivers say.....

And they are “men of colour”

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
She could join the Independent Group as they could add her coloured to their funny tinge.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So she is sticking up for Diane Abbott, who whatever colour she is is a bloody disaster area, and Abbott ignores the message and turns it against her for some political point scoring!

I think that says far more about dianne Abbott than it does about amber rudd.

Says more about you to think like that to be fair.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

"White coloured" There's a new one on me! :lolol:

I respectfully disagree that the word 'Queer' is the same as 'Nigga'. Call a homosexual 'queer' and you'll get a raised eyebrow. Call a black person a 'Nigga' and you'll get arrested. However, when one black person calls another black person a nigga - it's absolutely fine.

That's what confuses me..... If it's a word which offends to the point of the police becoming involved when it's used, why is it okay to use? I don't seem to remember any one of the gay people I've met high-fiving each other and shouting "Hey, how's it hanging poof?"

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You are completely wrong.

Try sitting in the back of a New York taxi and listening to some things the drivers say.....

And they are “men of colour”

So, you’re saying that black people use that term as a term of abuse, or they use it as more a term of endearment (almost) the same way British people use ‘mate’?

Whichever way black people use that word, when a white person uses it, it is always derogatory, because of the history of the term, and all it entails.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here