Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Amber Rudd used the word “coloured”

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
She should resign immediately.

Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd has apologised for using the word "coloured" in a BBC interview.
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott criticised the use of the term, saying it was "outdated", "offensive" and a "revealing choice of words".
During a discussion on racism, Ms Rudd said: "It's worst of all if you're a coloured woman. I know that Diane Abbott gets a huge amount of abuse."
In her apology, Ms Rudd said she was "mortified at my clumsy language".

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
We devalue the real fight against the evil of racism if we continue to vilify people who, with all good intent (and her point was that abuse of women and black women in particular is heinous), use the wrong word. It's not a word we use nowadays, it can be offensive to some, she's said sorry and maybe that will stop others saying it. That's the end of it for me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
She should resign immediately.

Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd has apologised for using the word "coloured" in a BBC interview.
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott criticised the use of the term, saying it was "outdated", "offensive" and a "revealing choice of words".
During a discussion on racism, Ms Rudd said: "It's worst of all if you're a coloured woman. I know that Diane Abbott gets a huge amount of abuse."
In her apology, Ms Rudd said she was "mortified at my clumsy language".

Showing her leadership credentials, a bit like Boris.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We devalue the real fight against the evil of racism if we continue to vilify people who, with all good intent (and her point was that abuse of women and black women in particular is heinous), use the wrong word. It's not a word we use nowadays, it can be offensive to some, she's said sorry and maybe that will stop others saying it. That's the end of it for me.

Quite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So, THAT is grabbing the headlines rather than the issue she was raising at the time. Kind of sums up what's wrong these days, doesn't it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Correct. Racism is something said with intent, not the clumsy use of an antiquated term in error.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

100% this. Just a bit clumsy, that’s all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"women of colour" or "coloured women" what`s the difference ?

:shrug: one is acceptable, one isnt apparently. ive heard black people say "coloured". dont even start on the whole mix race/hertiage issue, and who's blacker than who. i think its time we stopped such stupidity.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Black people, sorry, people of colour can call each other whatever they want and can call white people whatever they want...its just when its the other way round that virtually nothing is acceptable

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm reminded of this absolute BANGER which is about the same subject, and from ages ago. Not daft old Jello.....

https://youtu.be/Bg5ZcxBbYJY

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The term’ coloured’ was used as a derogatory racist term in the US. It was also used in South Africa to describe racial groups who weren’t Black or White, therefore it is seen as derogatory to use it against any person of colour today. If you’re a White person and can’t understand why this is seen as offensive by non-White people, perhaps, just don’t use that term.
Unless, of course you want to offend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here