Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Amber Rudd used the word “coloured”

LVGull

May 13, 2016
It’s not for you(I assume you’re white coloured) or me to decide what black people can or can’t find offensive. I can remember when the words ‘****** and paki’ were used quite freely in society, as well as words like spade, sooty, wog and coon. Fortunately, these appear to have been consigned to the dustbin of history by the more intelligent amongst us.

I think the use of the word nigga in (mainly) America, is the same as homosexual people reclaiming the word queer, so that it is not seen so much as an insult, along the same lines of us singing “ You’re too ugly to be gay” when opposition fans come out with the tired old homophobic songs about our club.

Absolute bollocks

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The term’ coloured’ was used as a derogatory racist term in the US. It was also used in South Africa to describe racial groups who weren’t Black or White, therefore it is seen as derogatory to use it against any person of colour today. If you’re a White person and can’t understand why this is seen as offensive by non-White people, perhaps, just don’t use that term.
Unless, of course you want to offend.

I know a lady in Yorkshire (married to a white guy), is from South Africa and her classification (if you want to call it that) is Cape Coloured.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be honest, I don’t know what does and doesn’t offend anymore. I genuinely mean that, I live in fear of offending someone without realising it.

Why? For most considerate people, it's pretty easy not to offend people. I wouldn't walk up to a fat person and say, good morning aren't you obese even though it might be a factual statement, why because unless you know someone, or are familiar with rhetoric a particular group of people adopt around each other, most people are able to avoid offending people unless they intend it.

Back to this case, Amber Rudd is a representative of her constituents in Parliament and is extremely well renumerated to do so. In carrying out the responsibilities of office, it really is incumbent on MPs in exercising their duties whether to the media, or the public to observe some basic aspects of common sense and knowing how to phrase things.

I suspect most people on here, regardless of whether they think the reaction is pathetic, or justified, wouldn't address a black or any other person as coloured. If you were picking out a person you wouldn't say, "not the white women, the coloured women next to her..." think about it, I suspect most of us wouldn't, because faux outrage or not, we know it's not a thing to say.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you were picking out a person you wouldn't say, "not the white women, the coloured women next to her..." think about it, I suspect most of us wouldn't, because faux outrage or not, we know it's not a thing to say.

Not sure what angle you're coming from (and I'm saying this without any sarcasm) but would it then be okay to say to the person I'm with "not the white woman, the woman of colour next to her.."

If I said that I'd probably get a blank or confused look...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The term’ coloured’ was used as a derogatory racist term in the US. It was also used in South Africa to describe racial groups who weren’t Black or White, therefore it is seen as derogatory to use it against any person of colour today. If you’re a White person and can’t understand why this is seen as offensive by non-White people, perhaps, just don’t use that term.
Unless, of course you want to offend.

I know a lady in Yorkshire (married to a white guy), is from South Africa and her classification (if you want to call it that) is Cape Coloured.

The term 'coloured' is still used in Southern Africa today to describe 'Cape Coloured' people who we would call 'mixed race'.

I can't recall really ever hearing 'Cape Coloured' or 'mixed race' used down there to be honest.

The term’ coloured’ was used as a derogatory racist term in the US. It was also used in South Africa to describe racial groups who weren’t Black or White, therefore it is seen as derogatory to use it against any person of colour today.
The first sentence is complete bollocks. The term was used to avoid the derogatory nouns in general use at the time, and was considered softer than using the correct term of 'Negro'. As for the second sentence, why is it derogatory to use an adjective that describes non-white people? As 'coloured' is the only adjective available, it can only be considered derogatory by those who think non-whites are inferior.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
We devalue the real fight against the evil of racism if we continue to vilify people who, with all good intent (and her point was that abuse of women and black women in particular is heinous), use the wrong word. It's not a word we use nowadays, it can be offensive to some, she's said sorry and maybe that will stop others saying it. That's the end of it for me.

This.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure what angle you're coming from (and I'm saying this without any sarcasm) but would it then be okay to say to the person I'm with "not the white woman, the woman of colour next to her.."

If I said that I'd probably get a blank or confused look...

Not something I find myself feeling particularly anxious about, because I can function in life without needing to call everyone who isn't white, coloured, a person of colour, a funny tinge or anything else. We are all people of colour.

I'd go to football with my grandad who is now 97 and still going to games regularly, and he'd sit counting during the warm up, 1,2,3,4,5...I'd ask 'what are you counting?', '6 coloured lads in the starting line up today'. Didn't matter they were black, mixed race, asian, or whatever else, just that there were 6 non whites in the team. Completely racist mindset beyond any equivocal doubt. Harmless, and without any hate I might add, but you can bet your life when he was hiring for his business, he would have discriminated. I pulled him up on it once or twice, and he said 'what am I meant to call them then?' and at that point, I knew what he was and there was no changing him, as much as I tried to explain what he was saying actually meant.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not something I find myself feeling particularly anxious about, because I can function in life without needing to call everyone who isn't white, coloured, a person of colour, a funny tinge or anything else. We are all people of colour.

I'd go to football with my grandad who is now 97 and still going to games regularly, and he'd sit counting during the warm up, 1,2,3,4,5...I'd ask 'what are you counting?', '6 coloured lads in the starting line up today'. Didn't matter they were black, mixed race, asian, or whatever else, just that there were 6 non whites in the team. Completely racist mindset beyond any equivocal doubt. Harmless, and without any hate I might add, but you can bet your life when he was hiring for his business, he would have discriminated. I pulled him up on it once or twice, and he said 'what am I meant to call them then?' and at that point, I knew what he was and there was no changing him, as much as I tried to explain what he was saying actually meant.

I remember completing the 1987 Panini sticker football album as a kid and proudly showing my Grandad my hard work when he came down to stay with us. We opened it up and 'A' is for Arsenal and he pointed at the manager - 'I know George Graham' - he pointed at Charlie Nicholas 'That's Charlie Nicholas, I know him' - he then pointed at David Rocastle and Paul Davis and said - 'I don't know who these coloured ones are though' - with his nose slightly screwed up.

He'd be a 105 if he was alive today and born in very different world to me, so I understand why.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

My grandmother (departed about 3 years ago at 95) habitually used the term ‘darkie’ - same. When I told her once she couldn’t say that (in clear earshot of two black staff in her care home) she just replied ‘well he is, how else am I supposed to describe him ?’. The two ladies just chuckled and said ‘she’s alright, don’t worry about it’. Racist mindset for sure, but not an ounce of hatred in it. She just hadn’t changed from language that was common up to the 70s. I cringe now at what we used to call the one black kid at our village primary school.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
She should resign immediately.

Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd has apologised for using the word "coloured" in a BBC interview.
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott criticised the use of the term, saying it was "outdated", "offensive" and a "revealing choice of words".
During a discussion on racism, Ms Rudd said: "It's worst of all if you're a coloured woman. I know that Diane Abbott gets a huge amount of abuse."
In her apology, Ms Rudd said she was "mortified at my clumsy language".

Behave

We should be more concerned that the Shadow Home Sec is as thick as pig s**t and a racist herself.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The first sentence is complete bollocks. The term was used to avoid the derogatory nouns in general use at the time, and was considered softer than using the correct term of 'Negro'. As for the second sentence, why is it derogatory to use an adjective that describes non-white people? As 'coloured' is the only adjective available, it can only be considered derogatory by those who think non-whites are inferior.

Coloured was considered a racist term by black people in America, used almost exclusively by white people. It isn’t in your gift to decide what term is derogatory, surely it’s for the people being addressed as such who should decide what they consider racist.

Would you call anyone ****** or paki etc to their face? Would you use these words in conversation with white people? I trust the answer would be no to both, but, white people didn’t decide these words were racist, it was black and Asian people who first objected to these terms.
My point, not very succinctly put, is that if anybody objects to a term used to describe them, be it racist, size, hair colour, sexuality, or disability, then, whatever anybody else thinks, those terms are derogatory.
It doesn’t matter if you or me disagree with the definition of what is abusive or not, unless we are the ones being abused. Personally, I m not worried what I get called,but, I have seen the upset that abuse can cause to members of my family,and I really think it’s uneccessary to use racial insults.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We devalue the real fight against the evil of racism if we continue to vilify people who, with all good intent (and her point was that abuse of women and black women in particular is heinous), use the wrong word. It's not a word we use nowadays, it can be offensive to some, she's said sorry and maybe that will stop others saying it. That's the end of it for me.

That is, of course, why the OP started he thread, and others smirked. Judging by the number of people thumbsing you up, versus the number thumbsing up the smirkers, we know what they are.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rudd says coloured, Abbott shouts racist. How f*cking depressing all of this is!

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Why? For most considerate people, it's pretty easy not to offend people. I wouldn't walk up to a fat person and say, good morning aren't you obese even though it might be a factual statement, why because unless you know someone, or are familiar with rhetoric a particular group of people adopt around each other, most people are able to avoid offending people unless they intend it.

Back to this case, Amber Rudd is a representative of her constituents in Parliament and is extremely well renumerated to do so. In carrying out the responsibilities of office, it really is incumbent on MPs in exercising their duties whether to the media, or the public to observe some basic aspects of common sense and knowing how to phrase things.

I suspect most people on here, regardless of whether they think the reaction is pathetic, or justified, wouldn't address a black or any other person as coloured. If you were picking out a person you wouldn't say, "not the white women, the coloured women next to her..." think about it, I suspect most of us wouldn't, because faux outrage or not, we know it's not a thing to say.

I’m not sure the meaning of the term coloured is well understood at all. #education

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here