Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Johnson

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lee Hughes served 3 years for causing death by dangerous driving - he fled the scene so as to avoid being breathalised and handed himself in a couple of days later. His WBA career was over, but he resumed his playing career at Oldham, then Port Vale, then Notts County.

Similarly a goalie (who's name escapes me) caused the death of two young boys through dangerous driving. He went back to Plymouth I believe, after he'd served his time.

OK, these two examples aren't nonces, but players do resume careers albeit usually at a lower level than before their offence took place. And if they have served their time for the crime, then in a civilised society that aims to rehabilitate offenders, should they not be allowed to resume their trade ? That said, you're probably right in that it would be a brave club to take on the likes of Adam Johnson.
All true but I think the pertinent word here is "nonce".

https://youtu.be/Ubt68d7FXLs

Evans was basically blacklisted for being a rapist (conviction overturned he's not guilty of anything, other than being a scrote). Hughes and the other lad actually killed people but were allowed back into football with barely a murmur. Right or wrong, that's what happened.

Can't see how convicted paedo Johnson will fare with getting a club anywhere on this island based on the above.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Think of the Air Miles, coming back to sign the 'Nonce Ledger' every week?

Shirley he'd go to the British Embassy to get around that? Wouldn't fancy his chances though if he got up to his old tricks out there!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
and come back to sign on the sex offender's register every week

That isn't how the sex offenders register works. It isn't a big book at every police station that offenders turn up to sign each week, they normally have to report to their local station every year for updated photos etc.

He'll be released on license and will have certain restrictions placed on him, these may effect his ability to leave the country and he will have to report to a parole officer every couple of weeks. He will have to inform his parole officer and the police of any change of address etc, plans to travel abroad etc.

I cannot see any club at in this country taking him on especially with there being a lot of focus on Safeguarding in light of the cases against the likes of Barry Bennell etc.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Getting out soon.

a) Could he still do a job at EFL, Championship, 1 or 2, level?

b) Is there a Chairman brave enough in the League to sign him?

Or will he have to go abroad and commute each week back to sign the Sex Offenders register?

Brave or morally bankrupt?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Luke McCormack and Lee Hughes both killed people as a result of their actions and carried on with a preofessional career once they'd served their time, I would imagine Johnson will.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If he was amazing player again then I'd take him for the Albion.

He's served his time and lets be honest. His case was bad but its not so horrific he cant come back to live a normal life again. He was more guilty of being a dickhead

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

He's served his time and lets be honest. His case was bad but its not so horrific he cant come back to live a normal life again. He was more guilty of being a dickhead

I've got the opposite view - if we signed him I'd hand back my Season Ticket.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’d be gutted if he signed for us.

Used his age and adoration as a player, to groom and then engage in sexual activity with a child. Then lied to all and sundry in the ensuing process. A convicted offender, rather than a dickhead.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
All true but I think the pertinent word here is "nonce".

Evans was basically blacklisted for being a rapist (conviction overturned he's not guilty of anything, other than being a scrote). Hughes and the other lad actually killed people but were allowed back into football with barely a murmur. Right or wrong, that's what happened.

Can't see how convicted paedo Johnson will fare with getting a club anywhere on this island based on the above.

As well as being a 'nonce', which like-it-or-not, both in the criminal community and general society is considered the lowest of the low, never mind the post-Barry Bennell safeguarding issues at a club, the girl in question he's inside for was an underage football fan of a club he was playing for.

His football career is over.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Turkey.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure he knows what's coming if he ever plays in this country again. But I remember vividly being at a Millwall v Portsmouth match one night game when Graham Rix was the Pompey manager shortly after his conviction for sex with a 15-year-old. And it was the perfect storm - paedo conviction and away ground from hell.

He stood out by the touchline in the technical area for the whole match, and just leaving to one side for a second how much he deserved it, I have never heard anyone get the abuse he got that night from the Millwall fans, for the whole 90 minutes. I didn't know how he could actually stand there and listen to it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Getting out soon.

a) Could he still do a job at EFL, Championship, 1 or 2, level?

b) Is there a Chairman brave enough in the League to sign him?

Or will he have to go abroad and commute each week back to sign the Sex Offenders register?

I guess we must have slightly different interpretations of the meaning of the word 'brave' ???

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Disagree about taking him for the Albion but do agree his case wasn’t as horrific as many cases - ie 15 not 8, didn’t have sex with her or oral sex etc just kissed her, denies it so not 100% true etc etc - I’m not being a nonce apologist in the slightest before anyone throws that one in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here