Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton's future (and past)

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I think we are all probably thinking the same. Can Hughton take the club on beyond what he achieved last season and appears to be replicating this time. Only time will tell. Personally I think he is in a much better position here than he was at Norwich. Bloom will be planning for improving our position year on year. Its fair to speculate that if CH can’t achieve that then they could look to replace him. I hope he achieves it, it must be what we all want surely.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think we are all probably thinking the same. Can Hughton take the club on beyond what he achieved last season and appears to be replicating this time. Only time will tell. Personally I think he is in a much better position here than he was at Norwich. Bloom will be planning for improving our position year on year. Its fair to speculate that if CH can’t achieve that then they could look to replace him. I hope he achieves it, it must be what we all want surely.

If we stay up and get to the semi-final - that is beyond last season. Can't see much more that we can really ask for other than gradual improvement. I'm a big fan of loyalty - CH shows it to his players, I just hope we all do the same for him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If TB tells Dan Ashworth and Paul Winstanley to improve the first team and lets them spend the money to do so then I think we might be able to do better. We're doing as well as we're entitled to expect with the present squad.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You Sir hit the nail on the head. Who WOULD be better for us. There isn't anyone in my opinion and anyway even if I could think of someone who I thought would be better than what we have it would be a huge gamble if the change would make us as good as we are let alone better. Like you say Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

You seem to forget, Jose Mourinho, is he still available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Personally I'm more interested in the here and now ..ive seen a lot in the fifty years ive been watching the Albion ,,not much of that was at the pinnacle of the game and games left to enjoy this season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally I'm more interested in the here and now ..ive seen a lot in the fifty years ive been watching the Albion ,,not much of that was at the pinnacle of the game and games left to enjoy this season

I only take one or two games ahead at a time, it helps keep my sanity.

I also try to avoid NSC (and media) hype a week before matches, for example, not bothering to look at any of the half dozen Selhurst match threads. Some post relentlessly before a CP, Chelsea or Liverpool match in anticipation of a win, then have a really big come down if we lose with recriminations.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
We’re still punching way above our weight and I think most fans know that. I’m loving every minute of being in the PL and living the dream and hope Chris stays with us for a long time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We’re still punching way above our weight and I think most fans know that. I’m loving every minute of being in the PL and living the dream and hope Chris stays with us for a long time.

Can you define why we are punching above our weight ?

We have a chairman who has pumped in over 250 million into our club building the infrastructure. Not many clubs average around 26k in the Championship. I personally don't think we are.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I heard this but on the Guardian football weekly. They gave the example of Ricky Van Wolfwinkle which did immediately remind me of Locadia. I think there will be a bit more spotlight on Hughton next season as everyone will want/expect progress, but hopefully the team will be better and therefore it won't be an issue

As did I, but thought the (guest) speaker sounded quite misinformed as he even went as far to say that Hughton wouldn't be in charge of us by the end of next season. Though there are plenty on here who see differently, I have always had the impression that the club see Hughton as manager whether we are in the top or second tier. Plus Dan Ashworth was quoted as saying it was his job to keep CH in charge for as long as possible the other day so maybe TTFS and GFW have got it wrong.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Suttner, Schelotto...

When Suttner was signed for around £2m he was a more attacking left back than Bong and the two regularly were interchanged in and out of the starting line up, 13-25 starts. Many supporters would've played Suttner but CH gave Bong more game time towards the end of the season. Then we had the chance to sign Bernardo.

Schelotto had a slow start as he signed at the end of August but after a bizarre start in midfield at Huddersfield he went onto be a regular being picked instead of Bruno, 20 apps including in many key fixtures. Again unlucky that we signed an excellent player in Montoya

Neither really a failure

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If you take relevant wages into account, I bet we haven't "spent a lot". This is the type of player/deal we're going to sign until more established. Pay a little more than current ability in order to pay much less wages AND have potential to improve on players just entering their prime if they transition to the league.

Even once 'established' (if that's even a thing you can do outside top 6/7) then I can't see the team wanting to mess up our ability to bounce back should the worst happen sometime. 120k a week on a 5M player can't be too much different to 30-40k a week on a 15M player over a contract. Just safer if something goes wrong plus the player has more resale value if chose not to stay/keep.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Apart from Locadia, I think we have bought reasonably well.

We bought from abroad so it took us longer for the players to settle in.
Happy with Pröpper, Gross, Izquierdo, Bissouma, Ryan and Bernardo. Andone is starting to come good and recently I have also seen some encouraging improvements in Jahanbakhsh.

We were lucky with injuries last season. Not so much this season.

Absolutely this!

Lazy journalism in my opinion.
We have had a poor ( but unlucky) start to 2019
We didn't recruit anyone in January, therefore are signings/ transfer policy are shit.

Absolute bollocks.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure why we're so hard on ourselves for our recruitment. Our hit rate is remarkable all over the pitch, even amongst forwards. (Andone, Hemed, Murray) and Locadia is obviously disappointing but those crucual points at Arsenal / Everton will probably keep us up.
Just have a look at Palace for how hard it is with recruiting forwards.. Some successful loans; Loftus Cheek last year and ominously Batshuayi this season but Benteke - £25m (no goals), Sorloth (£9m - no goals - vanished), and Wickham (£9m, no goals, bad luck with terrible injuries), Ayew (loan no goals).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Totally Football Show on Monday included some chat about us and, more precisely, Chris Hughton. The view was that CH might be following the same path with us that he did at Norwich - well liked/respected and a decent start in PL but doesn't know how to progress beyond that and, when given money to improve, makes poor signings. I don't necessarily agree but it's interesting to hear the external perspective on this, particularly that the guys on the show felt we'd spent a lot but had not bought well. To summarise, they reckon CH will be gone before the end of next season.

The only way that Chris Hughton will ever leave the club, will be if he resigns, Tony Bloom will never sack him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If you take relevant wages into account, I bet we haven't "spent a lot". .

We're in the bottom 6 of wages for the Prem.

wages.png

via http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-2017-18-what-do-i-get/

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The only way that Chris Hughton will ever leave the club, will be if he resigns, Tony Bloom will never sack him.

Not true IMO.

If Tony believes that Chris is no longer the man for the job, he will sack him.
But I agree he will give him much longer than many chairmen would.

Then again Chris has earnt that level of loyalty and our chairman is a very decent man.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not true IMO.

If Tony believes that Chris is no longer the man for the job, he will sack him.
But I agree he will give him much longer than many chairmen would.

Then again Chris has earnt that level of loyalty and our chairman is a very decent man.

Well Tony admitted that he wasn't about to sack Sami Hyypia, even though results had been dire and we were facing relegation. Sami did the decent thing and resigned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here