Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton's future (and past)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very harsh on Hughton the initial comments, he's done a superb job for Brighton.

There is no doubt that the recruitment wasn't as good or effective last year as the summer before, but as has been said that is not solely Hughton anyway. If you are Brighton and go out and spend (for us) huge sums on Locadia and Jahanbakhsh, you need a better and quicker return than we have had. You simply haven't got the time for them to take a year/18 months to settle. I don't think either are bad players, especially Alireza, but that's our £30-plus million and really we need goals and assists from the off.

Don’t think PL football works like that. In an ideal world every forward would produce from the very beginning, but there are no near guarantees at this level, unless a club is prepared to pay huge money in wages and possibly the fee too to get the finished article. Jahanbakhsh has barely begun his Albion career in terms of PL matches, whilst the club can shirley be excused if one signing doesn’t meet expectations (Locadia). I was under the impression last summer that Bissouma was signed as a fairly raw talent with great potential hence the fee, so wasn’t expected to walk into our CM and play 38 matches ... but I stand to be corrected on that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I see items such as this one as nothing more than clickbait or lazy 'journalism' if you want to call it that. I would argue that Ali J hasn't really had the chance to prove himself, but has shown promise in the last few appearances he's made. Bernardo has grown as he's gone on, Bissouma the same.

The form of Murray has been a factor with Andone, but I think we are now seeing what the future direction of the strikeforce will be like. Murray still has a role to play, but I can't see him ever being as prolific as he was in the first half of the season. Time – unsurprisingly – has caught up with him, but CH did the right thing by sticking with him when he WAS in good form. If Andone hadn't got banned, the results from those games he missed might've been different and there wouldn't have been the meltdowns from those all over mainstream and social media. The backup goalkeepers look good enough for that role and the defensive squad players (despite the odd wobble here and there) also look good enough.

CH appears to be loyal to players – look how many of the Championship squad are still starters and in the matchday squad. That's fine and they might be able to do a job, but to take the club to 'the next level', then they would have to be improved upon – it's not a difficult concept. There could be a lot of player turnover in the summer (whichever division the club ends up in).

Finally, I always chuck in the 'which manager would you have to replace CH, then?' line when people call for him to go. Apart from the odd (serious) name here and there, it's met with silence. I think that says a lot.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I heard this but on the Guardian football weekly. They gave the example of Ricky Van Wolfwinkle which did immediately remind me of Locadia. I think there will be a bit more spotlight on Hughton next season as everyone will want/expect progress, but hopefully the team will be better and therefore it won't be an issue
They obviously know jack shit about the signing of Van Wolfswinkel. Otherwise they would be eating humble pie out if their own shitty arses. RVW is a good player. And to boot. Norwich were the lowest spenders of any club in the PL at that time

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Just as a point of interest, assume he does get the sack, who is available that you’d feel comfortable with managing the Albion, who is a realistic target. Personally I’m struggling to think of anyone who I’d prefer. The job is too big for a beginner or someone like Nathan Jones at the moment imo, who else is out there? Who could we realisically poach?

Better the devil you know imo and although I’ve had my moans about the way we play in the past, it seems CH is trying to be more adventurous and expansive in the way we play. It’s been more entertaining but has led to less positive results. I’m happy with him and I reckon TB is too.

Slowly slowy catchy monkey
Yup I don’t think results have done the play justice at all over the past 6 weeks

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are a Premier League squad battling against some outstanding players. We do not have the finances to spend £100m+ on a player, instead we buy hardworking players that will help to establish our status. This may be the way the club looks for 10+ years as we transition.

CH is doing a fine job and he knows exactly how to improve his side and simply looks to signs player who will follow his instructions (no dick head policy). Player do not join BHAFC to win the title and we have very few game changers or world beaters but if we keep improving as we have in the previous 2 years we will be doing a great job

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hughton didn't have that much time at Norwich.

Unless a manager walks into a top six club it is very hard to build your own team. It has pretty much taken a whole season to get Bissouma, Bernardo, Andone, Ali Jak, Montoya and Locadia to bed in and we won't see the best of them until next season. Propper has only started to shine this season and we can even say the same for Knockeart and March.

We are still very much a team of individuals on a learning curve in the Prem and we are yet to see what Hughton can do. This season is an education for the players. Next season will be the real test.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Let’s give Chris Hughton some credit here. He took an ailing relegation threatened side to safety in half a season (2015). He then turned that team around the following season only to be denied automatic promotion on a goal difference of 2. He then led the team to promotion to the Premier League convincingly in his third season. His fourth season ensured that we maintained our Premier League status still choosing the players, in the main, that took us up from the Championship.

Now into his fifth season with the club, he has brought in (potentially) some exciting players. Although admittedly some have been slow to rise to the challenge Locadia and Jahanbakhsh in particular, others are making their mark Andone, Bissouma and Bernardo.

Of all the managers we’ve had over the years only two, in my view, have have been the perfect fit for club. Alan Mullery, in his first stint, and Chris Hughton. Gus Poyet, if he had decided not to throw all his toys out of the pram, could well have joined them.

Excellent post.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Just as a point of interest, assume he does get the sack, who is available that you’d feel comfortable with managing the Albion, who is a realistic target. Personally I’m struggling to think of anyone who I’d prefer. The job is too big for a beginner or someone like Nathan Jones at the moment imo, who else is out there? Who could we realisically poach?

Better the devil you know imo and although I’ve had my moans about the way we play in the past, it seems CH is trying to be more adventurous and expansive in the way we play. It’s been more entertaining but has led to less positive results. I’m happy with him and I reckon TB is too.

Not sure it is 'too big' for someone like NJ. You could say the same about Ole and Manure, however, the players appear to be responding to the individual and not their previous managing experience

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure it is 'too big' for someone like NJ. You could say the same about Ole and Manure, however, the players appear to be responding to the individual and not their previous managing experience

Ole played for United at the top level and has managed since 2011 so has plenty of experience and is a legend at United for his exploits there, he has the total respect of the players. Can you really say NJ has that? I think he could be a great manager but imo now would be too soon for him.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Let’s give Chris Hughton some credit here. He took an ailing relegation threatened side to safety in half a season (2015). He then turned that team around the following season only to be denied automatic promotion on a goal difference of 2. He then led the team to promotion to the Premier League convincingly in his third season. His fourth season ensured that we maintained our Premier League status still choosing the players, in the main, that took us up from the Championship.

Now into his fifth season with the club, he has brought in (potentially) some exciting players. Although admittedly some have been slow to rise to the challenge Locadia and Jahanbakhsh in particular, others are making their mark Andone, Bissouma and Bernardo.

Of all the managers we’ve had over the years only two, in my view, have have been the perfect fit for club. Alan Mullery, in his first stint, and Chris Hughton. Gus Poyet, if he had decided not to throw all his toys out of the pram, could well have joined them.

One of your better posts Poppys grandad

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As others have said . Our signings seem to of helped with the squad but not really the first team. It's only really Locadia that looks a waste of money after AJs performances recently.

I'd really hope in the summer we Sign 3+ top quality players that can seamlessly improve out first 11. Ideally from La liga / serie a / Bundesliga. Prob looking at 80m + for that though

Really tough to recruit in the Prem. Look at Fulham. Had a free scoring side and chucked over 100m at it. God knows what will happen to them now but I don't think it will be pretty.

In one way it's tough to recruit in the Premier League because agents and selling clubs jack up prices. But on the other, we're told that this is where players want to play ...so we should have players queuing up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Any talk about CH's future is as a direct result of some poor recruitment decisions that are not mainly down to CH. Hopefully Dan! Dan! will be able to tighten up that aspect. Starting with stopping trying to unearth a gem from the crappy Eredivisie. How often does the club needs to get it's fingers burnt on that one before the penny drops?

Nothing lasts forever, but CH is a good manager, a decent man and a credit to the club. He's a class act and one that will be VERY hard to follow.

So you don't rate Davy Propper, AJ, or Jose who came from the even poorer Belgium league!!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think we were. Didn't we start the season without Kayal, meaning we had to throw Propper in at the deep end (and he was very nervous at the start), and March was out for a time at (or near) the start, along with some other injuries I've forgotten about.

To be lucky with injuries does not require that we have no injuries, or just one or two (I don't remember March being out for long anyway). What the poster was saying is that we were lucky with injuries last season when compared to this one, and I don't disagree with that.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Agreed.

I don't think we were. Didn't we start the season without Kayal, meaning we had to throw Propper in at the deep end (and he was very nervous at the start), and March was out for a time at (or near) the start, along with some other injuries I've forgotten about.

March was in the matchday 18-man squad for all 38 Premier League matches in 2017-18.

We were one of the PL teams least-affected by injuries last season - Which Premier League club has suffered most from injuries this season?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Aye one just has to look at Southampton....five different managers in the last three years ...look where its got them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here