Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is it just me or is everything shit? Again...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’m not one of those people who can fully refrain. Like you, I watch the doom and gloom, reflective in a lot of gloomy posters.

When I was a kid there used to be a little footbridge over the railway line between Tarring Road and Pavilion Road, I used to go over the bridge with my mum to get some shopping and we would often stop on top and wave at the train drivers as they drove their trains under us.

The bridge now has not been repainted in about 30 years, the lights that lit your way over it have been smashed and broken countless times, different types of lighting were tried and all broken but left in place as a sad legacy of failure. A higher vertical fence was fitted to the bridge in order to stop people jumping off or throwing and dropping things on passing trains..... this proved ineffectual so they then rigged an upside down U shaped fence to completely enclose anyone who goes over the bridge, as you look through the steps you can see the accumulation of years of empty wine and spirit bottles and small bags of rubbish dumped through the gaps in the steps, the approaches now have CCTV warning signs up on both sides but it does not deter the hoodied youths and drug dealers that meet up there.

The other day as I walked over that bridge a young mum was holding her toddler up and waving at a train, I went back 50 years in a flash but all I felt was deep sadness of loss and decay.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Football aside, I struggle to see anything remotely positive that's happening in the UK at the moment; education, transport, crime, the list goes on and on on...

And I've not even mentioned the 'B' word...

It all started going downhill hill when the internet was invented...

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You think we have it tough here at the moment, try living in 95% of the world's other countries. We have it easy here in comparison to many, despite the issues we're going through at the moment.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It always has been and always will be, luckily people still need plumbing done though [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When I was a kid there used to be a little footbridge over the railway line between Tarring Road and Pavilion Road, I used to go over the bridge with my mum to get some shopping and we would often stop on top and wave at the train drivers as they drove their trains under us.

The bridge now has not been repainted in about 30 years, the lights that lit your way over it have been smashed and broken countless times, different types of lighting were tried and all broken but left in place as a sad legacy of failure. A higher vertical fence was fitted to the bridge in order to stop people jumping off or throwing and dropping things on passing trains..... this proved ineffectual so they then rigged an upside down U shaped fence to completely enclose anyone who goes over the bridge, as you look through the steps you can see the accumulation of years of empty wine and spirit bottles and small bags of rubbish dumped through the gaps in the steps, the approaches now have CCTV warning signs up on both sides but it does not deter the hoodied youths and drug dealers that meet up there.

The other day as I walked over that bridge a young mum was holding her toddler up and waving at a train, I went back 50 years in a flash but all I felt was deep sadness of loss and decay.

You replied to me, but politically I’m least of your problems on NSC and in society in general. If you read my various posts over the years, I’m a Remainer, as vehemently anti Trump/Pence/Ult Right as anyone on NSC, huge on the planet and climate change, for a general and significant increase in taxation to pay for a better NHS etc, care about anyone with genuine health or mental problems, wish them to better cared for by the state, think this Government has run its time, believe in a much higher minimum wage, want far more homes built, anti bullying bosses in any sector, for the tackling of tax fraud from small businseses to tax avoidance by Amazon/Starbucks, providing sufficient learning support in schools, etc etc.

That little agenda would be hated by staunch free marketeers.

We differ in that I think a coaltiion of moderate parties could achieve that in Parliament, including the new breakaway grouping. Through my professional and general interest, I do know a fair amount about taxation, and I know that we cannot follow the Norwegian fiscal model and that hammering the rich will not alone pay for our long shopping lists. So I will always call out McDonnell when he doesn’t reveal what’s really needed in tax changes. I’m not a wealthy person, I do not own buy to lets, I’ll have to work for many years to come.

Yep, I see all that crap too. In my humble opinion it boils down to cuts, plus some councils are obsessed with H&S in not dealing with that mess (it really does vary by council), and finally personal responsibility. Even as a kid I never littered, I’ve even picked up other peoples mess here and occasionally when overseas. I still do it now, getting it recycled. There are so many lazy people out there who lob litter out of cars etc and if anyone challenges them they get their face smashed in. The British are a funny race of people, beligerent, stubborn, aggressive.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Football aside, I struggle to see anything remotely positive that's happening in the UK at the moment; education, transport, crime, the list goes on and on on...

Hmmm. Can you think of a time when it wasn't 'shit' then? Life is usually a collection of ups and downs; at any one moment in time some things are getting better whilst others are getting worse. I don't think this era is particularly worse than say, Britain under Tony Blair or John Major. We're not on a downward path from some mythical sunlit upland.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hmmm. Can you think of a time when it wasn't 'shit' then? Life is usually a collection of ups and downs; at any one moment in time some things are getting better whilst others are getting worse. I don't think this era is particularly worse than say, Britain under Tony Blair or John Major. We're not on a downward path from some mythical sunlit upland.

The 90s were great and the summer of 2012 felt a world away from the general shit-fest the world and, in particular, the UK has become.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You replied to me, but politically I’m least of your problems on NSC and in society in general. If you read my various posts over the years, I’m a Remainer, as vehemently anti Trump/Pence/Ult Right as anyone on NSC, huge on the planet and climate change, for a general and significant increase in taxation to pay for a better NHS etc, care about anyone with genuine health or mental problems, wish them to better cared for by the state, think this Government has run its time, believe in a much higher minimum wage, want far more homes built, anti bullying bosses in any sector, for the tackling of tax fraud from small businseses to tax avoidance by Amazon/Starbucks, providing sufficient learning support in schools, etc etc.

That little agenda would be hated by staunch free marketeers.

We differ in that I think a coaltiion of moderate parties could achieve that in Parliament, including the new breakaway grouping. Through my professional and general interest, I do know a fair amount about taxation, and I know that we cannot follow the Norwegian fiscal model and that hammering the rich will not alone pay for our long shopping lists. So I will always call out McDonnell when he doesn’t reveal what’s really needed in tax changes. I’m not a wealthy person, I do not own buy to lets, I’ll have to work for many years to come.

Yep, I see all that crap too. In my humble opinion it boils down to cuts, plus some councils are obsessed with H&S in not dealing with that mess (it really does vary by council), and finally personal responsibility. Even as a kid I never littered, I’ve even picked up other peoples mess here and occasionally when overseas. I still do it now, getting it recycled. There are so many lazy people out there who lob litter out of cars etc and if anyone challenges them they get their face smashed in. The British are a funny race of people, beligerent, stubborn, aggressive.

I think you are reading too much in to my post, it's simply apparent to me that we have gone backwards rather than forwards, that's all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree that, domestically, things - by UK standards - are bleak.

It would be great to see The Independent Group become a political party and be the catalyst for some change in British politics. It's not just the government that is poor but the leadership of the opposition, First Past The Post, the HoC itself, voter apathy, general ignorance in society of key issues.

Politics is dysfunctional, no one trusts anybody, everyone is suspicious, there's too many people vying for a position of power. Parties are not working together for the long-term common good of the country. There's nothing to inspire, no creativity in policy.

Above all else, politics has become incredibly BORING with complete dullards in key Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet positions. Chris Grayling and Dianne Abbott are positively dangerous, completely inept. Indeed, UK politics is like a grotesque, farcical tragi-comedy.

I don't know how old you are. Trust me, nothing is any worse now that it has ever been. The 60s had openly racist MPs ('if you want a n***** for a neighbour, vote labour'), rampant sexism and corruption...by the late 70s the racism had dipped a bit but we had rampant homophobia, that liberal tosser (now 'out') smearing Peter Tatchell to get elected in Bermondsey, violent corrupt police framing the nearest mug for whatever, three day week....by the 80s we had the first wave of 'no compromise with the electorate' trotskyite tosswombles infiltrating labour, Derek Hatton, rioting, the Poll tax, the Miners' strike....in the 90s we had 'back to basics' (shagging your secretary), mortgage defaulting due to insane interest rates (Lawsonomics) and Bill Archer. By the noughties everything slowly settled down. This allowed a lot of grumpy self-entitled old etonians to agaitate about Europe, and here we are, after the moronic Cameron let the dogs out, facing Brexit. But in the great scheme of things, life has improved. People smell better. Racism is regarded as a bit weird. Even NSC is relatively pleasant. Cheer up, FFS.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Very true. In that mythical sunlit past, countless kids were sexually abused with no hope of being believed (entire lives ruined, nonces free to do as they pleased), staff had to treat bosses reverently, working conditions were dangerous, holiday leave much smaller, cures for many cancers hadn’t been invented, women, homosexuals and minorities were treated like crap.

The news by nature only mentions the crap and political posturing, rarely mentioning the good.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't know how old you are. Trust me, nothing is any worse now that it has ever been. The 60s had openly racist MPs ('if you want a n***** for a neighbour, vote labour'), rampant sexism and corruption...by the late 70s the racism had dipped a bit but we had rampant homophobia, that liberal tosser (now 'out') smearing Peter Tatchell to get elected in Bermondsey, violent corrupt police framing the nearest mug for whatever, three day week....by the 80s we had the first wave of 'no compromise with the electorate' trotskyite tosswombles infiltrating labour, Derek Hatton, rioting, the Poll tax, the Miners' strike....in the 90s we had 'back to basics' (shagging your secretary), mortgage defaulting due to insane interest rates (Lawsonomics) and Bill Archer. By the noughties everything slowly settled down. This allowed a lot of grumpy self-entitled old etonians to agaitate about Europe, and here we are, after the moronic Cameron let the dogs out, facing Brexit. But in the great scheme of things, life has improved. People smell better. Racism is regarded as a bit weird. Even NSC is relatively pleasant. Cheer up, FFS.

Thread Closed and the OP needs to cheer up.

Ps is the op a Millennial by any chance?

D

Deleted member 22389

Life is what you make it. Life isn't as bad as they make out. Like I said get a hobby. Over the last couple of years I've been getting in to furniture making. Already made a few bits for home, a toy chest, new unit for skybox and so on. Get a great deal of satisfaction seeing the end product.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Don't worry, it's going to get a lot worse........

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
For anyone doubting this you should watch Hypernormalisation by Adam Curtis on iPlayer.

.. and then 'Bitter Lake'

After those two you'll be wearing a tinfoil hat and stocking up on tinned food.

Seriously though, I have to admit myself that I think the world is a bit crap at the moment - but... it's just down to my own trials and tribulations, getting old, and a general malaise. I go through 'cycles' of thinking the world is a shit place, then puffing up my chest and getting the f*ck on with it, then thinking it's shit again...

At the end of the day, though - I am healthy and so are my loved ones. After that, it's all fairly unimportant.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here